AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to buy some Floor speakers. I am purchasing a Pioneer VSX-1020 and now looking for some good speakers for it.

I have narrowed it down to the following (unless something else is recommended)

Boston Acoustics VR3's

Klipsch RF-42's

Polk Monitor 70's

Polk TSi 500's

I don't have anywhere near me to audition them so I'm just wondering what some people's personal opinions are. I don't have a huge room, so I'm really looking for more clarity than anything. I mostly use for movies/music/xbox all about the same usage. If I get the Polks or the Klipsch please recommend a center speaker.

Thanks,

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the 70's, and I love them. IMHO For the price these can be found for when sales spike up you can't beat them. FYI the black ones usually sell for a lot less than the cherry ones. I enjoy the crisp highs (some think there a bit bright) and the very good mid-bass these produce.

I'm sure the other 2 your considering are good as well, I have no experience with them to comment.

Another consideration is to go ahead and get the center channel speaker that matches whichever set you choose, that will make a huge difference.

If you choose the 70's get the CS2 center.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Polk TSi500 = Monitor 70's, just with new aesthetics and trim. Monitor 70's are the better buy.

You can also add to your list Infinity Primus speakers from crutchfield.com The Primus P362 towers are direct competition for the Monitor 70's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards the Polk Monitor 70's from the get go so your feedback was great to hear. I think I'm going to go ahead and get them with the CS2 center speaker as recommended.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/0

I greatly prefer Boston Acoustics to the Polks, it's a shame you won't be able to audition.

Do you have experience with other speakers that you have liked or disliked?

Ron

That's a good point. Have you ever heard any of these brand speakers, Not the specific models just the brand? I know a lot of people prefer a certain sound from there speakers, and 3 of your choices offer 3 different overall sounds. Tweeters especially are big differences. To my ears all klipsch speakers I've ever heard( including the thx's) are a warmer sound, polks are very bright(which is what my ears prefer) and BA are more neutral. I've heard really good things about the VR3's. If you go that route make sure you get the vrc center, I've heard those towers don't match well with others, also there rear ported, so depending on room space, you might night have the 2' from wall they recommend.

Happy hunting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts