AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I think I'm going to pass on the Qumi, or at least wait till the Infocus IN116 and Optoma GT750 get released in August.

I think I'll probably go with one of those. They're bulb based, and I'd prefer LED, but they have higher lumen output...unless the ML-500, PLED-W500 or K330 with 500 lumens are bright enough due to the LEDs. Still, with LEDs the perceived brightness should be about 1000 lumens correct? Maybe you wouldn't need the 3000 lumens of the GT750, but this might be useful for 3D with the glasses darkening issue. I've gotten interested in 3D and 2D to 3D conversion.

I don't know much about 3D and all the complex specs. From what I understand the IN116 does 3D but doesn't have an HDMI 1.4 input. The GT750 does. 1.4 is needed to view 3D blurays, but that's the only thing it's necessary for, is that right?

I'm probably going to be most interested in 2D to 3D conversion using iZ3D or Tridef, but I don't know how good the conversion's effect is. From what I understand these softwares can be used with any projector.

A major issue for me with 3D is the potential for headaches. I saw Coraline in 3D with polarized glasses. I didn't get a headache then, but when I saw Avatar in 3D at the IMAX theater, which used anaglyph (red & blue) glasses, I got a massive headache that lasted all day long. That is unacceptable. From what I understand shutter glasses can also cause headaches, but I haven't tried those.

iZ3D is supposed to support all 3D formats: http://www.iz3d.com/3dtechnologies

However, DLP doesn't output polarized light from what I understand. If that's the case then polarized glasses wouldn't work with any of these projectors, so then the choice would seem to be to use the shutter glasses.

I think I should definitely try the shutter glasses before purchasing anything, because it would be pointless to base the purchase around 3D if I get something that's going to give me a headache.

But let me know your thoughts on these projectors. There are also the new Casios, but I think those are above $1000. I might be willing to consider them if they're the only option, but the $500 price of the IN116 sounds mighty nice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Your Imax theater showed Avatar 3D with anaglyph glasses?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anaglyph technology uses the red and blue glasses then yes, that's what they used and I think that's what gave me the headache.

Sorting through all this new 3D stuff is a lot of work. Does anybody have some insight into the differences between these 5 models, specifically regarding their use for 3D viewing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have never heard of an imax using red/blue anaglyph, not even years ago when I saw Superman Returns, and the 3d was seen as a cool novelty then.

Was it one of those Imax "Experiences" (read fake Imax) or a bona fide Dedicated Imax Theatre?

Interesting to hear this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was at the Imax in Emeryville. I don't know if it was real or fake, if there is such a thing as a fake Imax theater.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well,

Real Imax theaters are few and far between.

I was fortunate enough attend the one at the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Science in South Florida and have been to the one in NYC. Entering a real Imax is a memorable event to be sure, the screen is so massive, its like someone nailed 2 NBA basketball courts to a wall.

The problem is that since there are so few in the US, small local theater chains have begun to offer a licensed "IMAX Experience". You'll find them at your local cineplex, they cost a bit more than one would pay for a regular movie ticket, they supposedly use fancy "2K resolution" digital projectors. The screen was nothing close to a real Imax.

It was nice, but it was NOT IMAX. When i saw Matrix Revolutions on IMAX, I must have talked about it for weeks, same with Superman Returns in 3D. My Friends all Agreed that HERE WAS SOMETHING WORTH GOING TO THE MOVIES FOR, because this COULD NEVER be reproduced at home.

More recently When I saw the Star trek movie on "Imax Experience" (at a Regal Cinema in a mall) All I can remember is that I could see the Digital projector's pixels from the 10th row and that it was too darn bright and too sharp for my taste. IMAX may be expanding its brand NAME, but IMO the original True IMAX Experience is dead.

This Experience was so underwhelming for me, that I decided that I would wait and buy a digital projector and create something close to this not so amazing "Experience" in my own home once prices dropped.

And all of this ties-in to this thread, because folks are saying they can barely see the pixels on the $499. Qumi. I am eagerly waiting for the Acer k330 (or other 500 Lumen clones) to be released so I can start my own EL CHEAPO L.E.D. Fake IMAX at home.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H.
Hi all,

I think I'm going to pass on the Qumi, or at least wait till the Infocus IN116 and Optoma GT750 get released in August.

I think I'll probably go with one of those. They're bulb based, and I'd prefer LED, but they have higher lumen output...unless the ML-500, PLED-W500 or K330 with 500 lumens are bright enough due to the LEDs. Still, with LEDs the perceived brightness should be about 1000 lumens correct? Maybe you wouldn't need the 3000 lumens of the GT750, but this might be useful for 3D with the glasses darkening issue. I've gotten interested in 3D and 2D to 3D conversion.

I don't know much about 3D and all the complex specs. From what I understand the IN116 does 3D but doesn't have an HDMI 1.4 input. The GT750 does. 1.4 is needed to view 3D blurays, but that's the only thing it's necessary for, is that right?

I'm probably going to be most interested in 2D to 3D conversion using iZ3D or Tridef, but I don't know how good the conversion's effect is. From what I understand these softwares can be used with any projector.

A major issue for me with 3D is the potential for headaches. I saw Coraline in 3D with polarized glasses. I didn't get a headache then, but when I saw Avatar in 3D at the IMAX theater, which used anaglyph (red & blue) glasses, I got a massive headache that lasted all day long. That is unacceptable. From what I understand shutter glasses can also cause headaches, but I haven't tried those.

iZ3D is supposed to support all 3D formats: http://www.iz3d.com/3dtechnologies

However, DLP doesn't output polarized light from what I understand. If that's the case then polarized glasses wouldn't work with any of these projectors, so then the choice would seem to be to use the shutter glasses.

I think I should definitely try the shutter glasses before purchasing anything, because it would be pointless to base the purchase around 3D if I get something that's going to give me a headache.

But let me know your thoughts on these projectors. There are also the new Casios, but I think those are above $1000. I might be willing to consider them if they're the only option, but the $500 price of the IN116 sounds mighty nice!

Thanks!
I am actually getting both the Optoma GT750 and ML500. Remember the GT750 is a short throw and you can't adjust the zoom and doesnt have lens shift. 3D should be bright enough, I have a RS40 with a da lite HP screen and its bright enough on a 120in. So, for all your needs with the GT750 should be great.

The 500 led clones would give you a better image probably. The acer is gonna be 3D, but very dim on 3D unless you use about a 92in or less HP screen, then it might be suitable, but it will not be 1.4 like the GT750. That's why I'm getting both. I hate watching for hours on the projector and I finally get some relief with these new led models. Plus, my family can watch it as long as they want without me monitoring their usage.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. /forum/post/20762167

The IN116 has a 2X DLP colour wheel, so wouldn't it suffers from the "rainbow effect?"

Otherwise it looks considerable, with a 6000 hour lamp and $130 replacements, provided it's not too noisy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I demoed the Qumi and the D538W-3D at Vivitek today. We watched Tron on the D538 and it was cool. There do seem to be some issues with home theater 3D, like strange effects on the 3D parts, but it was cool nonetheless.

Watching 3D with those active glasses also felt weird in some way...hard to describe exactly "how", but I don't have a headache like I got with the anaglyph experience at that Imax theater. When I was watching I thought it might be a headache coming on, but I don't have one now.

blee0120, or anyone else, do you know what the difference would be between the D538W and the GT750? I thought Douglas at Vivitek told me that the D538 was HDMI 1.4 compatible, but these specs say 1.3: http://www.vivitekusa.com/v_display_...ubcategory_id=

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,651 Posts
I see a lot of differences to me. For one, the GT750 is a short throw. So from 6ft, it can project more than 100 inches, and the D538W is not, from 12ft away it projects a 100ft image. So if you don't want a short throw projector then the D538W might be your choice.

The GT750 is 200 lumens short, but last year GT720 was over its max lumens when measured, so the GT750 should be close to 3000. Not too many companies come close to theirs. I assume both will be similar in brightness and great for 3D. Both are DLP, so it depends on your preferences.

I want a short throw because I take my GT720 in my room and project a 84 image on my wall from about 5ft. Then, I take it out side and project it on my 220in screen from able 10ft away. The brightness is good enough. I just wish I could try 3D on my outdoor screen but I don't want to take my pc with me.

The GT750 also have louder speakers in it, and its convenient when I take it to my room.

I can stand up and play a game or watch a game without my head in the way. I just like a bright short throw projector. But the opposite will be the D538W. It's portable and light, bright, does 3D and 2D-3D conversion, and probably better in 2D.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm inclined towards the short throw because I want as big of a screen as possible for 3D. When I saw Coraline in the theater I enjoyed the film, and the 3D effects were cool, but the screen seemed too small. I've heard that's something that happens with 3D.

Also, my guess is the D538 doesn't have a 3D VESA port. So having this port is valuable for using certain kinds of transmitters/glasses that are better?

And I'm guessing like blee0120 that 200 lumens at 3000 vs 3200 lumens won't be much of a difference. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Quote:
I'm inclined towards the short throw because I want as big of a screen as possible for 3D. When I saw Coraline in the theater I enjoyed the film, and the 3D effects were cool, but the screen seemed too small. I've heard that's something that happens with 3D.

Also, my guess is the D538 doesn't have a 3D VESA port. So having this port is valuable for using certain kinds of transmitters/glasses that are better?

And I'm guessing like blee0120 that 200 lumens at 3000 vs 3200 lumens won't be much of a difference. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?
I have the GT720, I love the short throw. The only reason I would not choose the new GT750 is if I was mounting the projector. Since I like to take it everywhere, I'm going with the GT750. I just measured my GT720 and the lumens were 2340, so I trust that Optoma aiki be very close to 3000 lumens

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Quote:
You could still mount it if you wanted to though right?
Yeah, you can. I think most will not want to see the projector when its mounted and the optoma will be very visible

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. /forum/post/20762304

If anaglyph technology uses the red and blue glasses then yes, that's what they used and I think that's what gave me the headache.

You must have found the one theater in the whole north american continent that showed that movie in anaglyph. That theater messed up big time and you got ripped off and a headache for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The InFocus IN116 looks pretty awesome. Can anyone compare it to the LG PA75U? I like the looks of the LG but the specs of this IN116 show lots more lumens and all equal with everything else. Am I right?

I am about to return the PA75U bc it has no zoom and therefore spills over my screen. I have a projector lift which for obvious reasons can not be moved.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I use a VIP 3D converter works great I use DLP glasses but might switch over to RF glasses later because some movies with 98% of it being white will cause my glasses to loose sync because the In116 is a white flash projector with the 3D on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts