Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to this, and currently doing research to build my HT room.

I understand various screen formats and what they mean. However, unable to make the final decision about which one to go with for watching movies?

Is 16:9 (1.78:1) is the popular for movies and hdtv?

Then i wonder since movies like starwars, titanic and lord of the rings are made in the ultrawide 2.35:1 format, are they ok with 16:9 screen?

So, the questions:

1) Even though those movies are made in ultrawide, on dvd, do they get released only in the 16:9 or other more traditional(?) format?

2) Can the digital projector project images in the additional 1.85 , 2.05 and 2.35 formats or only as listed i(mine says 4:3 and 16:9)?

3) What are the recommendations for buying screens? Or is it possible to build them yourself?

Thanks in advance,

srini

·
Registered
190 Posts
A movie released on DVD (unless it is full screen/pan & scan) should maintain its original aspect ratio.

If your projector or CRT is true 16.9 then it will either fill the screen or have some black bars on the top and bottom to accommodate the various shapes the movie was filmed in.

The projector will project what ever it's native format is (4.3 or 16.9). If the projected image is different than that you will get black bars on the top and bottom or the sides.

You will most likely benefit from visiting the "screen" forum here. They have all the info you could possibly need on helping decide on a screen (there is also the DYI forum if you decide to build one yourself).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.