AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start a battle over brand loyalty here, or rehash my personal views on InFocus' pathetic "authorized dealer" policy/listing. However, while I had settled on an SP7210 based solely on its performance, I am left thinking that the two-headed snake of their silly policy and local availability combined with their somewhat dreary financial situation/statement may force me to look elsewhere to equip my HT.

Basics: I'm planning a 20 X 32' basement rec room in a just being built home, with excellent light control (recessed ceiling lights, and very little window light - which is controllable). It will be pre-wired for a ceiling FP and a 7.1 surround setup. I plan to have dark/earth-tone walls and med. dark carpet. While I don't intend to use the entire length for the HT all the time (wet bar area in the rear), I plan on a mount somewhere around 16-18' from a screen of about 123" (thinking Firehawk). I would like to mount the FP at the best throw for such a screen, rather than change the screen size. The 7210 seemed perfect for the setup, but I am seriously doubting dealing with this company after much research (just my personal insecurity, I know many don't share it).

What I'd like from those of you who are well versed in this, are suggestions for similarly priced FP's and even screens (one InFocus "auth dealer" told me the 7210 would do best with a 6.0 gain SilverTec in those conditions and that Firehawk shouldn't even be considered. Of course, he had no store, just info as an "auth. dealer" who could order the equip.)

I want to keep a relatively large screen (minimum 110), so keep that in mind and I am willing to pay a bit more if necessary, but would prefer to stay under the $9-10k mark as best I can (the 7210 was mostly in the $6-7k range). Remember, the house isn't built yet, so I have a lot of control on ambient light, throw distance, etc. The screen will go on the 20' wall with (probably) DefTech 7002's and their matched ctr and surrounds. I'm still looking for a decent HDMI switching A/V Receiver (Denon 4806 was hi on list, but I've read problems on the HDMI). Basically, this all puts me in an approx budget of about $17,000 for the equip, plus install. Not a lot to some of you, and a whole lot to some others - so I want to spend it wisely. It's my one last shot at doing it right from the start (getting too old to start again). SO, let's have it - what do you seasoned vets suggest (with my apologies for length but I wanted to be clear and not make you ask me basic questions I stupidly left out.) Thanks for any input.

Ray

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IF7205 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
ten dealers within twenty miles - have you called them all?

http://infocus.links.channelintellig...cii_nRadius=60

There is no other home theater projector that is as well calibrated and as bright as the SP7210 - so you will need to change your system design and install plans to consider other options.

The SilverStar is a great combo if you want plasma brightness in an ambient room. Otherwise the FireHawk is better if you want movie brightness. You need to communicate to your dealer what your goal is. Keep in mind that your screen will dictate your projector and vice versa - if you want to reduce lumens required then replacing the FireHawk with something like Draper M2500 for twice the gain will half the lumens required. But I recall you already rejected the advice that there are great deals to be had on the Internet for the Optoma H78DC3.

So here are some SP7210/SP7205 equivalents.

The SP7210 is OEM as the KnollSystems HD284 - they sell strictly to custom installers even more so than Infocus. They also have a SP7205 version - not sure if it is current product.

http://www.knollsystems.com/prod-hd284-features.html

Toshiba also had their clone of the SP7205 - but if you are iffy on projector companies that is both an obsolete model for them as well as they are exiting the projection biz. But you can likely find deals on the Internet for both a close out and from a manufacturer that does not control their distribution. You can read the forum to make your own decisions on Toshibas service model.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...odel=tdp-mt800

You can also spend more money on the same projector in a boutique manufacturers casing with even more exclusive custom install engagements.

http://www.markettis.com/dreamvision.../projo/dw3.htm

Or you can spend about twice the money on an impressively redesigned version with improved specs - and an engine upgrade policy - with even more exclusive dealerships.

http://www.projectiondesign.com/Default.asp?CatID=1178

So there are always other options....

But if the house is not built yet - you should not be shopping now - especially with CEDIA just around the corner. What are you going to do when the WAF tacks on major kitchen upgrades eating away the projector budget? Will we be hearing posts from you in a few months after the house is occupied - that you got taken because the manufacturer/dealer dropped prices all over the net - and nobody will refund your loss for buying early? Just ask anyone that bought an Optoma H79 a few months ago....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sigh....I really tried not to stir Krasmuzic up with this query. I just wanted some advice from knowledgable people and could do without the sarcasm and incorrect statements/assumptions from an earlier disagreement.

"ten dealers...have you called them all" - Should I HAVE to call 10 or more??? Actually, I have visited at least 3 who knew nothing about the SP7210 and could offer no useful input. I visited 2 who simply didn't exist at their location and phone info was forwarded to unanswered voice mail (even the InFocus site map locator states "address cannot be mapped" for God's sake). I visited 1 who only dealt with business presentation equipment and knew nothing of HT, though he is listed by InFocus as a SP7210 dealer. The one who suggested the SilverTec was fully informed about my needs and room, he basically later admitted he wasn't a Firehawk dealer (after bashing their product) and also tried mightily to bash my choice of speakers and receiver - to brands he DOES have. I can't visit and call them all, but I did more than the average amount of work here. This nonsense about InFocus "protecting" its clients with the "auth dealer" policy is just that - nonsense. How many of their referrals do I rightfully have to go to before I find just ONE that has a unit or knows about it or doesn't have to "special order" everything and then subcontract the install????? How is that different than just buying the unit cheaper online and paying the install anyway. Believe me, I have checked far more than the 10 you may have found. I looked in the area 20 miles away that I am moving to and checked there also. I have been privately contacted by people on this very site who have had similar problems - so it's not just me! This "authorized dealer" policy is way too inaccurate and difficult to navigate, despite your zealous protestations to the contrary. I have never found it so difficult to spend my money on a manufacturer's product and it shouldn't be this hard. I'm sorry you take such offense at that, but that is my opinion.

"The Silverstar is..." That sounds like sound advice (thanks) but I did make my conditions known to the dealer. He simply didn't sell/like Firehawk and pushed the brand he had. Same with speakers, cables and receivers. He was interested in the sale, not the buyer/installation. Though, he was "authorized."

"I recall you already rejected...the H78DC3" No, I didn't, please point me to where I did. In the other thread I merely said I had decided on an SP7210 and was asking specifically about it and not looking for other recommendations. There you go putting words in my mouth again.

Other suggestions may be relevant and I will look into them, thank you. However, I sense far too much sensitivity from you on this subject to engage in it further with you, as I said in the previous thread. You defend the "authorized dealers", many of whom don't know crapola or even exist, but bash the Magnolias that are authorized because of their....well, I'm not sure why.

"Will we be hearing posts from you in a few months after the house is occupied - that you got taken..." No, you most definitely will not. Sorry my early research seems futile to you and that you fear my return with more problems. You have demonstrated to me a definite bias and double standard that makes me question your advice to me personally. I don't know how I raised this ire, but I accept its existence and will refrain from asking further questions here. I will return to lurker status, where I have learned a lot and hope to learn more. I know you are respected here by many, but I like to ask questions and keep debate open and civil. I can't seem to do that with you. I will no longer try. I apologize to the rest of the forum for this rant, but I am frankly tired of being berated by a posting dealer who has double standards, bias, uses inaccurate characterizations of my posts and opinions, is condescending, threatens to withhold his help to others as punishment, etc. I'm sure he has provided much useful guidance to many, but in this case, we just can't seem to all get along.

Thanks Mit7 for your suggestion.

Thanks to the others who have contacted me privately with some ideas and useful suggestions. If I could lock this thread myself, I would, because as an owner/Administrator of 3 websites myself, I know how this will go. I just won't be part of it though I started it. My apologies again.

Ray

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
" This nonsense about InFocus "protecting" its clients with the "auth dealer" policy is just that - nonsense. "

" I have never found it so difficult to spend my money on a manufacturer's product and it shouldn't be this hard "

AMEN to that!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Flint,

I share many of the same experiences you had with "authorized dealers". Several just had voice mail or worked out of their homes and had nothing to demo.

The bigger problem for me is buying the stuff I want, ie infocus pj, denon receiver, pardigm speakers, firehawk screen,etc.

Some dealers carry some of the lines but not all. Then when you tell them you want to use a diiferent speaker or screen, they bash your choice and dont want to install it. One dealer told me that they would not warranty anything they install unless I bought ALL components from them. But they dont have everything I want! Very frustrating. I would like to give a local dealer my business, but I'm almost at the point of just buying everything on line and taking my chances. I figure that with the thousands I save, even if one thing brakes and the mfr. denies warranty, I'm still ahead of the game.

But you cant fault Kras. He is very passionate about what he does, and its his business. You'd feel the same way if someone messed with your business. (not that you are personally, but the online places do)

I just wish I had someone like Kras to install my system as I would gladly pay for his expertise. It would be worth every penny. But I think Kras believes there are people like him all over, and in my experience, there isnt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well just wrote a large personal check to my home theater installer!!!!! :eek:

In all seriousness, I am VERY happy with our HT installers. This is all they do.

DF4801......I agree with the frustration if YOU want something that your installer may not have. We kinda ran into this problem but what my HT installer stated is that he carries only the things in stock that he feels are the best for certain price points. I agree with his philosophy as he is trying to run a business.

He also stated that I could go with other components and things but did not want me to run out and get everything elsewhere....so.....he is trying to make a living selling some product as well and I have no problem with that.

We arrived at a compromise after many discussions and hours of research. He is happy for us deciding to use him as the installer and we are happy to utilize his expertise AND support in the future.

I can say this....we canvassed a few HT folks from the Big Box Boys to the little guy.....when all was said and done we went with the HT folks that were passionate about their custom design/installation AND worked with us, took the time to draft up a professional product (1.5" thick book of choices and designs), and offered many suggestions from good to better to best.

Did they make a perfect recipie for a DIY person...hell yes...we could have walked and done this ourselves for a bit cheaper....what we would not have recieved is the expertise in set up, warranty stuff, support when the remote doesnt work for some reason etc. In the end I would highly recommend the route we took.....

That was way off topic but I felt like rambling....LOL... :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Flint, I am also evaluating projectors and by reading this forum have narrowed it down to Optoma H78/9 and IF 7210 as the best fit in my price range. So far I have only gone to one authorized dealer in an attempt to see a 7210. All they have set up are a 4805 and a 777 (list price about $30K CAN). Both were in the same room, the 4805 on a tabletop so close to the screen that it was only throwing about a 60" picture. The 777 was properly set up and looked beautiful, but I told them right away it was out of my price range - the sales rep kept trying to "make me a deal" on the demo unit! They would order a 7210 for me if I wanted, but no way would I be able to demo one. It would have to be an act of faith on my part. I sympathize with your experience. There is another local dealer that I have dealt with before, and I'll try them next. Oddly enough, I've had only positive experiences buying audio gear (Bryston, Anthem, Paradigm) from the same local dealers. I think that's because its a mature market and more customers are educated. As we say in technology Sales "where there's mystery, there's profit" and I think the projector industry is capitalizing on that now.

BTW, I prefer the IF over the Optoma for one major reason - the ability to install firmware upgrades myself. For me that is almost a show stopper against the Optoma.

You seem like a good guy and you've expressed your opinions well. I've read a lot of Kras' posts and learned a lot from them. I think he's a good guy too, and you can't blame him for passionately defending his business. Its too bad you and he got off on the wrong foot. Its really too bad he's not in your neighborhood - I think he's just the kind of dealer you are looking for.

I hope you don't permanently return to lurking only. There haven't been enough interesting threads lately.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Well at least some people are finding someone they can work with.....

I may be more passionate about AVS forum then even this HT biz.

AVS forum used to be a place where people helped each other with their setups - where manufacturers reps and dealers threw in some professional advice when help was going astray. Name a manufacturer rep that frequently posts here anymore? How about some of those local dealers that held shootouts for AVSers so they could see a bunch of stuff - when was the last time you saw them post?

The reason they are gone is that this forum is turning into lurkers posting "what/where to buy because their local dealer is screwing them so they are going to return the favour - and forget buying from AVS themselves as their prices suck and they edited my posts anyways - and besides they do not have a click to buy listing of what I want anyways"

Next month a new bunch of lurkers looking for PMs what/where to buy - but there is nobody left to help them because everybody else left the room last month.....

And that to me seems to be the point of this post - does not want to buy an Optoma, does not want to buy an Infocus clone from OEM resellers/reengineers - but still wants to buy a SP7210 - and is basically just pleading for people to PM who the local dealers or online shops are that are selling out their backdoor. Bottom line here is did you get 1/3 off - or did you get a good setup? The reality is most people do not get both. Rather there is the AVSer that brags about the 50% off deal he found, while a guy that rarely posts that he was happy with his custom installer since that is not a popular opinion around here.

And just be clear - I don't recall ever saying bad about Magnolia - but it is Best Buy sales mentality that I think ruins this industry. Magnolia AV stores are pretty good here - and I think if they find some way to clearly seperate the brands inside the stores (don't send the blue shirt in to sub for the red shirt) that the Magnolia HT concept will work. They are selling HT solutions just like a custom installer does but using a retail presence - so people can actually see stuff in it's intended environment. That is something that is really lacking in chain stores - nobody is as of yet selling HT proper. Will Best Buy try to take it over and replace the HT display with racks of projectors - and can the professional installer in favor of the pimple faced geek? That remains to be seen - it would be much better if Magnolia changes BestBuy and not the other way around. But usually it is the big fish that eats the little fish - so it remains to be seen if this concept can work.

GuttBoy,

Looks like I need to work on my quote formats - 1.5" is a lot of printing costs if nothing else - even if it is just templates.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to break my own word about leaving the thread just now - simply bcz Krasmuzic has once again COMPLETELY MISSTATED nearly everything I have said. Not once did I ever say I refused Optoma or OEM, etc. I simply said, in the beginning, I had already decided on the SP7210 based on reading here and elsewhere. NOT ONCE did I say I wanted PM's for backdoor deals and I have NEVER gotten one. The PM's I referred to were PM's of folks having similar problems finding reputable dealers, NOT ONE was about cheap pricing (or are you now a mindreader as well or just a PM hacker?). On several occasions I specifically said I would gladly pay the premium to a reputable local dealer who could live up to Krasmuzic's now famous litany of how strictly trained and controlled InFocus dealers are. Sadly they are often hard to find and/or work with, as some of you have seen personally. He basically calls me a liar and insuates I didn't really try.

Krasmuzic, to be blunt, you are way too full of yourself and very wrong in much of what you say. Not the tech stuff (though who knows), but certainly in your constant characterizations of my words. You are simply not capable of honest debate on this subject for whatever reason and find the need to ascribe motives to my posts that simply aren't there. You say "the point of the post is.." and then go on some near-unintelligible rant about wanting cheap deals and lousy service, depriving good dealers...etc. All I ever wanted was to find a "good" dealer. The fact that many of the "authorized dealers" from the InFocus list are lousy themselves or even non-existant seems to elude you. And when did I say I wouldn't buy from AVS??? Of course I would if they could sell me the stuff I want and I could get it installed professionally. Everyone else in the thread has been able to see the point and been polite and thoughtful, even if they disagree with me. Only you are so insecure as to be threatened by this. I pity your business model if it is based on such emotions, illogic and general mean-spiritedness.

Your memory sucks as well as your comprehension. ("I don't recall ever saying bad about Magnolia.."). REALLY???? You should re-read some of your stuff. I recall the most recent wherein you say "and don't even get me started on the mini-Mags at BB..." You just make up the facts to suit your needs. You make up phony PM's for me, you make up lies about what I've said I want or don't want, you make up motives for people PM'ing me, etc. You are sad. I was wrong a few posts back when I said I wish you were a dealer in my area so I could pay you for a good job. I don't care how good you are (or think you are), I wouldn't pay someone like you to work for me. I require basic civility, good comprehension and business etiquette along with technical skill. You don't appear to measure up.

To the others (if you made it this far), thanks a lot for your understanding. I am still considering the 7210 and am thinking about possibly extending the budget to include the Yamaha 1200 and Sim2 300 to see if they are worth the extra $$. I appreciate all of your advice and courtesy. I really do.

Ray

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Flint while we disagree on the Infocus distributionpolicy, I understand your frustration. It sounds like you have put in your time and effort. I think, though, that while there is nothing wrong with early research, narrowing oyur choice down at this point is giong to be fruitless. You know what kind of performance you are looking for, you have done the research, but in the 6 months or more that your home is being built this market will change a lot. The projectors you are looking at now may not even be available in six months, or better performance may be had at the same or even lower price. I am talking mainly about projectors here, though other electronics will change as well. (Look at Denon DVD players. The 1710, 1910 and 2910, out much less than a year are already replaced with new models)

So my suggestion would be to keep looking over the time your house in under construction, then make buying decisions very close to the install time.

To Df4801, it is unrealistic to expect any custom install dealers or even retailers, to be able to sell you every brand you may have come up with in your research. It is also unrealistic to expect a custom installer to install anything you may want or buy elsewhere. Dealers make decisions on what to sell, system design etc based on many factors, including accesibility, price/performance, integratability etc. A laundry list of disparate items is not a 'system' until it all works together properly. That is part of the value that comes from working with a good dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I haven't test the Infocus 7210 for lumens. But the Sharp Z2000 is a bright projector also. Probably not as bright but close. I did measure about 800 lumens with Iris open and bulb in high mode. If you turn white peaking up you get 1000 lumens. If you couple it with a silverstar you could be happy.

The Infocus has better colors, the sharp has a yellowish green that can't really be corrected. Some people don't really notice it. Can you find a Sharp dealer in your area?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ray,

I want to add to the sentiment that you not stop posting. You do express your ideas rather well and I applaud that you have stood your ground here. To repeat what I posted on your original thread, I've had similar experiences to yours with local IF dealers.

Good luck with your projector search. I'm on the same boat... well, almost... I think it's a much smaller boat than yours :)

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
How about a Canon SX50 with an outboard scaler, for roughly the same money?

From what I gather, the Canon will be brighter and smoother and has great color. It's 4:3, but just use the center 16:9 area and you still have more lumens and pixels than the Infocus.

·
Registered
566 Posts
fletch,

I have to disagree with your statement, "It is also unrealistic to expect a custom installer to install anything you may want or buy elsewhere"

What about the dealer who doesnt sell Denon. It is because denon doesnt "work well" with infocus? Or the dealer who only had NHT speakers as his ONLY choice. Was it because they were the best for infocus? Or the dealer who didnt sell stewart screens? Doesnt a 7210 work with a firehawk?

The point is, they sell what ever they could get a license for and make the most profit. Not because their setup is a "perfect match". I wasnt asking for them to warranty my components I bought elsewhere, just the install. But nope, if you dont buy all pieces from them, no warranty even on the install process itself.

But I'm still looking. I hope I'll find someone who at least carries most of what I want.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kras,

I speak with the owner of the HT place I am dealing with whenever I enter the showroom. He is a great guy and passionate about his business. His employees are great too.

I told him that one of the MAJOR reasons why he earned our business is the time and effort he put forth to give us something that we could actually take our time and review over and over and over again. I told him that I thought that many folks would probably take his "recipie" for a HT and run to the DIY market. Hell I even considered it myself (heheh and told him that).

No matter what you spend on your HT it is YOUR budget....for us over between 20 and 30k is NO drop in the bucket....WE felt that this place was the best for us AND has the knowledge and support to install, tweak, fix, support, help, whatever you call it...with just a simple phone call. THAT is something that you will not get when you go with a fly by night place...for us that is well worth the money spent!

As far as printing costs...yeah I am sure they get pricy...but I looked at it this way...this company (dont think I can name companies can I?) put forth a great deal of effort and time.....I understand this and respect the professionalism they displayed with our bid/proposal/etc....That was one of the reasons that we went with them. Ohhhhh and btw....the majority of the proposal was not diagrams, cad drawings etc....a good 75% of it was the actual brochures, literature, documentation from the vendors that we were considering. They went so far as to make their own notes in each of these to detail why one was better than another, what the "+" "-" of each of the components were....that made the decision process much easier!

BTW....I really found the 7210 to be VERY nice when looking at it again over the past couple of days....heheh I like going to the shop and talking about HT stuff with the folks there and looking at the GREAT picture the 7210 displays!

Take care all!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fletch,

You are, of course, correct about the timeline. I recognized this factor as well, but I am in an awkward position. While my home is being built, I have to make some decisions well ahead of time. One of those was to choose the builder's HT installer or just a pre-wire. The builder's installer would commit me to an InFocus 5700, a series of Bose cubes and receiver with a 92" Draper for about $13k installed. I didn't find that appealing. I was told they could not adjust it, even in the future, due to contractual obligations, etc. So, I am firm on pre-wire only, but needed the info and research in order to make intelligent pre-wire decisions. Working with the room size and desired screen size, etc (WAF not a factor, it's all mine and can be painted as dark as I want, etc), I was doing my research to find the current best choices and make some decisions. I knew things would/will change in the coming months, esp. considering CEDIA. I just wanted to get a feel for the various companies and their abilities, reputations, etc. to help my later choice go smoothly. So, if I really liked the 7210 for example, I could assume (and verify later) that InFocus' next unit or even the 7210 6 mos old would work for me. I'm glad now I've done this as I have found some problems (talk about understatement) and learned a lot about how this stuff works.

This is my 1st venture into FP and in an effort to educate myself, I have read most of the review and discussion threads extensively here. This is a truly great site for that. My frustration with InFocus and Krasmuzik are borne out of their dealer policy being flawed (IMO and not about price) which makes meaningful research hard and his insistance that everything I say is about trying to gouge some dealer out of a fair profit or that I am lying about my efforts, or my only reason for lurking here is to price shop him out of business, or that I am getting secret price-deal PM's, etc, etc. None of that is true as I have stated endlessly. I'm tired of having to defend myself to him when he changes what I say. And I'm sure the rest of you are tired of reading my explanations/complaints to him. That is why I don't wish to respond to him anymore.

But, I appreciate the words of the others here and the suggestions. Kramer is right, I won't simply be chased off bcz I can't get along with one poster. I'll attempt to be temperate in my postings as we ALL have differing points of view and I respect that. I just bristle when I'm basically called a liar or have my own words changed to fit someone else's need. Thanks for your input and I will keep on researching until the actual time to buy hits, knowing I did all I could to predict my needs and tell them where to put all of those wires. Looking forward to joining all of you lucky FP owners!

Ray

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Flint, as someone else who does custom installs and sales of HT products, I can tell you that most of the time it is a space restriction on which PJ gets the demo room. I sell IF here in Central florida and have one setup. However I am also able to sell sharp and optoma. To be honest, I have never had one setup. The room (and screen) is a better match for IF than Optoma or Sharp. Most dealers will only have one demo setup and probably try to persuade you that PJ as it was also their choice to demo.

And let me also tell you, I don't sell Marantz and Sony, not by choice but I have been told I don't qualify either because of my demo room or that there are too many dealers in my area.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
df4801,

There is nothing wrong with Denon, or in theory, any other brand, per se, but a dealer cannot have confidence that they will get support from a manufacturer they don't represent. Ultimately, most reputable dealers want very much to take care of their customers issues, but this may put them in a position where they don't have much or any leverage to satisfactorily solve the problem. Dealers typically support brands for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is personal relationships with their reps. A good one is capable of integrating lots of different kinds of gear to a seamless whole, so their decision process on brands to carry includes such things as reliability, ease of use, performance, affordability for their target market, and profitability. Very few (I don't personally know any) dealers can carry every available product in every category, or even all the products from a single manufacturer. Your comfort level with your dealer probably has a lot to do with how well you get along with them personally, too. You must be open-minded enough to trust them and their product decisions on some items, even if a few of them are not what you consider ideal. The final product must meet your expectations, but the path to A/V enlightenment doesn't necessarily have prescribed stepping stones along the way. You should be happy with the end result, no question about it.

You are obviously a consumer, and looking at the issue from that perspective. The problem with your perspective is that dealers have explicit and implicit (read: assumed by the customer) liability when installing a system that extends beyond just the equipment they sold. I cannot tell you the number of times a customer has wanted to include some old gear in a new system, only to have the old gear fail and the customer blame us for the failure. One particularly amusing (now) incident was a customer who had a cassette deck (I have been in this business for a while) purchased from someone else that started eating tapes shortly after we installed their system. They blamed us for the deck failing, even though they had never cleaned the heads, capstans or pinch rollers since they bought it 5 or 6 years earlier! They actually threatened to sue us over it, because one of the tapes it ate was some kind of personally valuable recording of a relative that has since passed away. It is funny now, because cooler heads prevailed, but in today's litigious environment, we could have very easily have lost that case, even though we are logically totally blameless, since we tried to get them to buy a new deck and they refused, because in their opinion they already had a "perfectly good one".

We just cannot be responsible for stuff we didn't sell, and that is enough for some dealers to walk away from a system completely. We are not that hard-set against the idea, and we do occasionally put in existing equipment, used and new. Now, however, we get customers to sign waivers whenever they insist on our installing an existing piece of gear that state we will not be liable for ANYTHING that happens to that piece of gear, period. We do gladly honor our installation/manufacturer warranties on anything we sold.

Sorry if this is wordy, and "slightly" OT, but I have seen this erroneous perspective often enough on these threads that I felt compelled to finally address it and try to bring a voice of reason to the discussion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ray do you have any Magnolia stores in your area? If I where you I would buy a IF7210 from them or find a Knoll dealer that will sell to you. I think that you can buy a Knoll from anybody. I may be wrong on that but maybe you should call them and find out. From what John at Integrity told me awhile back is that they calibrate even more than Infocus does and include a mount in the price.

John give me a very good price quote for when I was looking at a Knoll HT282 which is a 7205 clone, it was within $200 of my current H77. He was great to talk to and was very helpful. Or see if you can just get the 7210 by itself without install from your local Infocus dealers.

I think you could save a lot of money and do the equipment install yourself. That way you get all the equipment you want and not something you are forced to buy because that's all the HT dealer has to offer. Just have all the speaker wire and video cables prerun by your builders electrical contractor, and any equipment racks or shelf’s or recessed enclosures by the builder himself.

I guess I would rather do the project once rather then twice. It is easier to plan a room with equipment you already have. Plus then you can tabletop mount your Infocus SP7210 or Knoll HT284 {whichever one you end up with} and start enjoying it now.

I disagree with the B&M and Custom HT installer sales tactics today. Sometime you can find a good one but it is few and far between. I say buy online from a reputable dealer and save a ton of money, that’s why I recommend the Knoll line, and do as much as possible yourself. It is much more rewarding that way also.

I think you will find that you will be satisfied with the color out of the box, that you probley will not even consider getting it ISF calibrated.

Dale

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.