·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has a used DL450 for $1500 but I have been told

it would require an HTPC for a good picture so that would

add $700-$1000 to the cost, at this price I could pick

up an LT150.

I have been hoping to find something less than $1500 but that is starting to look like it is not going to happen.

I am going to have to up my budget to the $2000 range but I want a plug and play unit.

Is the NEC LT150 a plug and play unit? Are there any other units in the $2000 range that are plug and play?

What do I look for in the features list of a projector that would let me know it is a plug and play unit?

Sorry for the basic questions.

------------------
James' DIY Speakers

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Almost all projectors will accept a standard video signal allowing you to experience front projection on the cheap for now. I am suffering an s-video feed myself and it's better than no projection! I don't know about the unit in the classifieds(althought it comes highly recommended). But I have used an LT150 with my cheap Apex AD-800 (<$200) progessive scan DVD player and the image quality is great! Yes, and HTPC is better but the DVD player is good enough for now. If I could only scrape together a couple thousand bucks for an LT150, I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have used my JVC HR-S3800 (VCR with S-video output) and have gotten a pretty good NTSC image off the LT150 in "native mode". This only uses 640 x 480 of the projector's LCD panel so it doesn't produce as bright of an image, but the image lookded very clear without any scaling.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
All digital projectors (LCD, DLP, D-ila) are basically plug and play units. That is they do not require anything other than a screen and source. The reason most people get a scaler or HTPC is that these will improve the performance of any of these projectors. Basically the internal scaling on digital projectors leaves something to be desired. An LT150's internal scaler is not necessarily going to do any better than the Davis DL450. They both could use a little help to get the most out of them. Just some food for thought.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.