AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm about to need to backup my PS3 to send it in for repairs. In the backup instructions it says:

"Please note that the following copy-protected content will not be transferable:

Digital Right Management (DRM)

PlayStation® format software game data

PlayStation®2 format software game data

PLAYSTATION®3 format software Game Save Data flagged as unexportable"

So the only games I actually care about are:

Rock Band

Guitar Hero III

GT5 Prologue

Will I be able to backup my saves/progress, or are they "unexportable"? And is there some easy way to figure this out other than asking the collective wisdom here?

Thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If you have a external drive you can backup your entire drive using the system backup option. This option will back up all your game saves, and everything else on your hard drive.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
A lot of people seem to assume if you do a full backup, you can restore all your saved games back to a new PS3. If you send your broken PS3 to Sony, you are probably going to get a different refurbished system back. So, when you restore from your backup, all the copy prohibited games will not get restored or work.

Games that I know which do not allow saved games to be copied or copy prohibited:

NFS Prostreet

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Juice 2

and probably some others.

All the games above also do not allow you to copy them to another storage like a flash memory. Ninja Gaiden 2 allows you to copy the saved games but you cannot use it on a different PS3 system.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandnoah /forum/post/14275239

I think I'm about to need to backup my PS3 to send it in for repairs. In the backup instructions it says:

"Please note that the following copy-protected content will not be transferable:

Digital Right Management (DRM)

PlayStation® format software game data

PlayStation®2 format software game data

PLAYSTATION®3 format software Game Save Data flagged as unexportable"

So the only games I actually care about are:

Rock Band

Guitar Hero III
GT5 Prologue

Will I be able to backup my saves/progress, or are they "unexportable"? And is there some easy way to figure this out other than asking the collective wisdom here?

I can confirm GT5 Prologue can be exported. You can even copy the save into different user IDs and the save will still work.

I don't have either of the other two games so cannot address whether they're transferable. I didn't encounter any games that didn't transfer when I switched PS3s recently. The games saves I successfully transfered were:

GT5 Prologue

Warhawk

Burnout Paradise

GTA4

Resistance

Stranglehold

Army of Two

I also copied over Drake's Fortune & Motorstorm but no longer have the games to test the save.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I hope we can maintain a list, as I'd at least like to know before purchasing them. Sometimes I take games over to my brother's house and play them, and I'd like to know if I can bring the saves with me.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Transferring your game saves using the system backup utility to another ps3 and HD might be a issue that I am not aware of, and may cause a problem with non exportable game saves? I have no knowledge of that scenario. I just don't see why it would not work..this does not make sense to me.

When backing up and restoring to my original ps3 with a new HD, all game save data was saved for me. Thats 10 games , and a few psn downloaded game saves all intact. Including Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and The Godfather..2 games that are non exportable for sure to other PS3's.

Maybe more will chime in here with info regarding using the system backup, and installing that info on a different ps3.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
I did a full backup to transfer a lot of files to a new hard drive... everything came over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts