AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


Since the 6.1 and 7.1 receivers have started coming out, I am hoping that someone is trying to dump their older 5.1 receivers. I am looking for good deals in the pricerange of 300-500 USD. Can anyone give me an idea of where to find deals like this?


I don't need a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver myself, due to restrictions in my livingroom (sitting up against the backwall..)


My budget is also limited, so I figured I will spend more money on the speakers, and buy a cheap receiver. I plan (when I move) in a few years, to upgrade to a 7.1 receiver, but keep the speakers I am buying now (either HTD level3 with a level4 sub, or the Axiom Grand Master system)


Anyone know good fits for either system as well? I understand that at least the HTD system doesn't work well with all kinds of receivers.


My alternative would be to buy a reasonable 6.1 receiver, like the Pioneer D912, but I believe I could get better dacs and power supplies, by getting a 5.1 receiver (I.e. an Old Pioneer Elite model instead of the new Pioneer standard model)


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? Just FYI, I am looking at HK models, due to the fact they have EzSet, and sell some refurbished models. I am leaning towards the HK510Z which goes for about 350. (5.1 Only). Then again, would it be better to SAVE some money, get the Pioneer D912 that does the same thing essentially, but with the added bonus of a 6th channel? What is the power output and quality level differences between these two? I am thinking the HK would outpace it in both aspects?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
tomes,


I have the 510. It is an excellent 5.1 receiver and has the added benefit, as does the 520, of being used as an amp in the future. Have not heard the 912...The 811S was highly thought of and many used it as an entry pre/pro which is how I am now using my 510. Before I got my amp though the 510 always delivered clean power right up to its limits. Mainly got the amp because I bought 4 towers with 88dB, 6 Ohm specs. I bi-amp the fronts and run the CC off the amp. The 510 handles the rear towers quite nicely. Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
I'll second the HK510...good unit. I have a sonyES i'd get rid of, but I wouldn't rate it quite as dynamic as the 510.


As far as features, the d912 is a nice unit with reasonably adequate amps.


If you can find one, the Newcastle r-956 is a remarkable unit. I owned one for a year, but had to sell during our move. I would have kept it in place of the sonyES, but the Newcastle had a higher selling value. It is 6.1 matrix with equal power to all 6. I sold mine for under $600 more than a year ago, so it should be less expensive now. It has a very good tuner, component swithing, and remarkable amps. I gringed so bad at hooking my sonyES back up after moving in that I started auditioning receivers within a month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
I sold my old Denon 5600 for 850, but you could probably get the 3600 for around 500 bucks, and I think that was the best of the old one's. Denon never held that quality again after that they lowered amp quality on the next 3, and today are still lower there, and features went up, while built quality went down, each time.


The 3600 was initially 1800 bucks and had 110 wpc times 5 and no THX, while the 5600 had 140wpc and THX. The 5600 also had 20 bit DACS, while the 3600 had 18bit, but they were very clean DACs , and way ahead of market at the time. Most processors used 16 bit then. They were both built in Japan on the same specs as the one's sold there, and all other models were made and sold just here, on a much cheaper platform. I regret selling that puppy because at the time I didn't know that all the newer one's weren' as good. If you were willing to go to the 800 range, you could get into the top one's from that time period, like the 5600 and the Onkyo 939 and the Parasounds, but at 500 you will have to hit the next level, and other then those Denons' I don't recall any of the very next down being the exact same built quality, but with less power and so that is why I encourage that next tier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Interesting discussion here. I too am looking into a low cost 5.1 AVR. I have a secondary FR setup for the kids/wife and want to replace my aging Sony ES Prologic receiver and get something with digital inputs and s-video switching with 5.1 capability. I will be feeding it with a DVD player using Coax, a DirectTivo using Toslink and a 5 CD player using toslink. I purchased a cheap Sony DE 985 AVR and it had a bad s-Video input on the TV/Sat. I returned it for a replacment unit and it had the same exact problem. Then I found two other people online with the same defect on the DE985. So, I'm giving up on this model and looking for something else. Target price is around $300, no more than $400.


My main HT rig is an Onkyo 898 7.1, 110 wpc and I will probably move this to the FR setup eventually when I upgrade to seperates, so I don't want to spend a lot now on a temparary setup for the FR setup.


Any suggestions ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! You gave me some great products to start looking at!


Thanks again.


-Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,948 Posts
Add me to the H/K AVR510 supporters. You can get a "new" refurb direct from H/K at harmanaudio.com for $448 and it comes with a full two year warranty. My brother has this unit and I have the 520 - we got them $100 cheaper at ubid over a year ago with the full warranty. You can still find them on ubid but they don't show the 2 year warranty anymore. But I think H/K will still honor the 2 year warranty if it is one of their refurbs sold for them at ubid. You can call H/K Customer Service at 800 645-7484 for verification.


Dsmith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Are you guys using the component video switching on the AVR 510? If so, how does it look with HDTV material? You think it's pretty low-loss?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Interesting discussion here. I too am looking into a low cost 5.1 AVR. I have a secondary FR setup for the kids/wife and want to replace my aging Sony ES Prologic receiver and get something with digital inputs and s-video switching with 5.1 capability. I will be feeding it with a DVD player using Coax, a DirectTivo using Toslink and a 5 CD player using toslink. I purchased a cheap Sony DE 985 AVR and it had a bad s-Video input on the TV/Sat. I returned it for a replacment unit and it had the same exact problem. Then I found two other people online with the same defect on the DE985. So, I'm giving up on this model and looking for something else. Target price is around $300, no more than $400.


My main HT rig is an Onkyo 898 7.1, 110 wpc and I will probably move this to the FR setup eventually when I upgrade to seperates, so I don't want to spend a lot now on a temparary setup for the FR setup.


Any suggestions ?
He is looking for old but top of the line,and you are using a mid level for your main unit, so not really in the same vein of thought. You should probably do your own thread to not confuse the thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Addicted Help!!
He is looking for old but top of the line,and you are using a mid level for your main unit, so not really in the same vein of thought. You should probably do your own thread to not confuse the thread.
Yeah, but if this discussion yeilds a 5.1 model in the same price range as my "mid level" interest, I could go that route and meet my needs and budget. So, chill :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by coach
I'll second the HK510...good unit. I have a sonyES i'd get rid of, but I wouldn't rate it quite as dynamic as the 510.


As far as features, the d912 is a nice unit with reasonably adequate amps.


If you can find one, the Newcastle r-956 is a remarkable unit. I owned one for a year, but had to sell during our move. I would have kept it in place of the sonyES, but the Newcastle had a higher selling value. It is 6.1 matrix with equal power to all 6. I sold mine for under $600 more than a year ago, so it should be less expensive now. It has a very good tuner, component swithing, and remarkable amps. I gringed so bad at hooking my sonyES back up after moving in that I started auditioning receivers within a month.
Which ES receiver?


bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
spongebob,


str-da50es
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top