AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm repurposing some parts from previous builds to rebuild my HTPC and need help to decide which graphics card to use. I already have these parts, so I'm not buying anything new. The choices are GIGABYTE RX-570 AORUS 4GB or Sapphire Technology Radeon RX 590 Pulse Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0. I wondering if the RX 590 will be overkill and I'm concerned about fan noise.

The other components are a Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450 AORUS M AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard with 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM.

The HTPC will be hooked up to 1080P projector via a Yamaha RX581 AVR and will primarily be used for movies, mostly MKV and streaming services. I plan to purchase a 4K projector in the future.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Those are 2017 GPUs that will not play UHD video.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are 2017 GPUs that will not play UHD video.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I'm bit confused. Both RX-570 and RX-590 support 4K per AMDs website and they were both pulled from desktop systems with 4K monitors that were set to 4K.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Sorry, I'm bit confused. Both RX-570 and RX-590 support 4K per AMDs website and they were both pulled from desktop systems with 4K monitors that were set to 4K.
Don't be. I had a 580 hooked up to an HT2550 4K projector for my brother. It will pass the signal fine. Gaming wise, no there not that great unless settings are low. But for HT I have seen ppl using 1050Ti's in systems just fine.

AMD use to be one of the best for video with their All-in-Wonder cards and pushed that tech down to mostly all of their cards. I have been building gaming rigs for 20+ years, you will be fine with proper cooling.

P.S. sorry, the 570 would be good for lower temps in the pc if used only for video.

·
Registered
EnergyConnoisseur c3, Denon x1400h, Tannoy center, Monitor Audio 3 , Infinity Beta sw12, rotel 1066
83 Posts
Okay as an IT student I know quite a lot of computers. Your CPU, motherboard ram etc. is all good. All the Radeon RX series you stated above will play/ run 1080p 60hz with ease. Even 8k playback no problem. Unless you start using MADVR with 8k completely dialed to 11. Bad processors will have trouble with 1080p (full HD) and will rely a lot on the gpu however your Ryzen CPU is very good. So, if you do not plan to game, render or do 3d modeling. Just get the cheapest option. The RX 560 4gb will "run" a 4k screen with no problem. So, get the RX 570. The thermal output of the RX 590 should be considered if you build the pc in a small form factor budget case without proper ventilation.

However why did you choose for the RX AMD series? There are a lot of cheaper options from NVIDEA that have less thermal output, noise and have a lot more “mature” driver. The GTX 1650, 1660 are cheap and will perform as good or better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay as an IT student I know quite a lot of computers. Your CPU, motherboard ram etc. is all good. All the Radeon RX series you stated above will play/ run 1080p 60hz with ease. Even 8k playback no problem. Unless you start using MADVR with 8k completely dialed to 11. Bad processors will have trouble with 1080p (full HD) and will rely a lot on the gpu however your Ryzen CPU is very good. So, if you do not plan to game, render or do 3d modeling. Just get the cheapest option. The RX 560 4gb will "run" a 4k screen with no problem. So, get the RX 570. The thermal output of the RX 590 should be considered if you build the pc in a small form factor budget case without proper ventilation.

However why did you choose for the RX AMD series? There are a lot of cheaper options from NVIDEA that have less thermal output, noise and have a lot more “mature” driver. The GTX 1650, 1660 are cheap and will perform as good or better.
Thanks for the detailed response. The reason that I am choosing between the RX 570 and 590 is because I already had them. They are being repurposed from other PCs that I built a few years ago. At the time, they seemed to be the best bang for the buck from Microcenter back in 2018 for $169 and $199 for the RX570 and RX590 respectively. I decided to put the RX590 into the HTPC.

·
Registered
462 Posts
No the 590 will not be overkill.

IME the bigger problem is coil whine unless that fan is very loud

My 1080ti whines louder than anything else when pushing frames for mad vr

edit - and u can order replacment fans very cheap on ali express pretty easily. Have done it for older cards.

·
Registered
EnergyConnoisseur c3, Denon x1400h, Tannoy center, Monitor Audio 3 , Infinity Beta sw12, rotel 1066
83 Posts
No the 590 will not be overkill.

IME the bigger problem is coil whine unless that fan is very loud

My 1080ti whines louder than anything else when pushing frames for mad vr

edit - and u can order replacment fans very cheap on ali express pretty easily. Have done it for older cards.
Not all graphics cards have coil wine. Also coil wine doesn’t even come from the fans a lot of the time. Every pc component can have coil wine. The higher the tdp the more chance there will be coil wine. A friend of mine has a titan xp 12 gb (almost the same as a 1080ti) that is on water-cooling and has ridiculous coil wine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not all graphics cards have coil wine. Also coil wine doesn’t even come from the fans a lot of the time. Every pc component can have coil wine. The higher the tdp the more chance there will be coil wine. A friend of mine has a titan xp 12 gb (almost the same as a 1080ti) that is on water-cooling and has ridiculous coil wine.
Almost all cards will whine to varying degrees when under high load

The question is how audible are those whines

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The whine comes from the coils used to regulate power to the chip. It has nothing to do with the fan, other than the fact that when the chip is working hard, it consumes a lot of power. This high load causes the power supplies (the main power supply, the ones on the card that power the chip) to work hard and the coils to whine because they're working hard. The fan spins up because the chip is working hard and need extra cooling. But they aren't otherwise related.

This also applies to the CPU power supply which depends on CPU load only.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The whine comes from the coils used to regulate power to the chip. It has nothing to do with the fan, other than the fact that when the chip is working hard, it consumes a lot of power. This high load causes the power supplies (the main power supply, the ones on the card that power the chip) to work hard and the coils to whine because they're working hard. The fan spins up because the chip is working hard and need extra cooling. But they aren't otherwise related.

Exactly, if the fans are loud, the bearings are done or are very dirty. Overall older, higher tdp components have alot of coil wine. The worst card I've ever heard was the amd r9 fury x.

My 1070 ti whines very little, barely noticeable while still having a high tdp, but it does have a gold rated power supply and it was a more expensive one. So that probably helps a bit.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
462 Posts

It does have to do with your fan

How loud your fan is determines if you can hear the coil whine.

It's your noise floor

ALL CARDS WHINE when under high load. You have hearing problems if you can't hear them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Exactly, if the fans are loud, the bearings are done or are very dirty. Overall older, higher tdp components have alot of coil wine. The worst card I've ever heard was the amd r9 fury x.

My 1070 ti whines very little, barely noticeable while still having a high tdp, but it does have a gold rated power supply and it was a more expensive one. So that probably helps a bit.
Thanks for the clarification.
I have a 1600 watt platinum i used for crypto.

Causes the same whine. Maybe that works for some cards. But not the modern nividia IME

·
Registered
83 Posts
It does have to do with your fan

How loud your fan is determines if you can hear the coil whine.

It's your noise floor

ALL CARDS WHINE when under high load. You have hearing problems if you can't hear them.
My hearing is just fine. If I were to follow your reasoning, how can a liquid cooled gpu have a ton of coil whine if it does not use fans?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know that. I was just using Goyle99's reasoning to prove that he is wrong. Because he says: "How loud your fan is determines if you can hear the coil whine." but then I asked the question how can a liquid cooled card have coil wine?

Sometimes the best way to explain something is to prove he is wrong by using his own reasoning. Which usually contradicts the right reason (if that makes sense, hard to say this in English when it isn't my native tongue)
You're not a native english speaker

The noise floor determines if you can hear the whine

If the fan sounds like a jet you're never going to hear the coil whine over your loud fan. Because it's going to presumably ramp up unless you've turned the fan off

whooosh

And last time i checked almost all water cooled systems have fans and pumps. Which agian raises the noise floor. Water is louder than a quiet fan. Which is why you're not noticing the obvious coil whine every card makes. Never met one made no noise under all loads.

Turn off all your fans and listen to whatever card you think doesn't whine.

Talking about noise as you promote water cooling....

·
Registered
83 Posts
You're not a native english speaker

The noise floor determines if you can hear the whine

If the fan sounds like a jet you're never going to hear the coil whine over your loud fan. Because it's going to presumably ramp up unless you've turned the fan off

whooosh

And last time i checked almost all water cooled systems have fans and pumps. Which agian raises the noise floor. Water is louder than a quiet fan. Which is why you're not noticing the obvious coil whine every card makes. Never met one made no noise under all loads.

Turn off all your fans and listen to whatever card you think doesn't whine.

Talking about noise as you promote water cooling....
Custom water-cooling can be really quiet. A d5 punp + a 360 rad and 3 noctua fans. But a big noctua d15 with a quiet fan curve can be even more quiet of course. I ques you've only ever heard high tdp gpu's because some gpu's have barely any coil wine. A gtx 1060 rog is so quiet that you have to put your ear against the card for it to be noticeable (the coil wine). Even when pushing the card hard (benchmark). Atleast that was my experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts