AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to make the move to HDTV and want some advice on which DBS provider is better.

Here are my pertinents: just bought a Toshiba 57H81, have a Sony SAT-60 (DirecTV receiver with TIVO), one dual LNB dish and a diplexer that splits the two feeds into 4 feeds.

I am dissatisfied with the picture quality of DirecTV on most channels. The NFL ticket is blurry or showing jaggies. Pay per view movies and HBO (Band of Brothers is the best quality that I get) are better. Although local cable is grainy it is better that DirecTV - pictures hold their definition when moving where DTV is blurry. DVD quality is fine and I have a progressive scan unit on order so it should get even better.

So I am ready to buy a HDTV converter/receiver for its component outputs and some HDTV programming. With DTV I understand I will only get HBO and HDnet. With Dish, I will be able to get the CBS HD feed (and maybe ABC soon) and locals from Pittsburgh. A couple of questions: Which DBS provider has better quality picture for standard definition? What about HDTV? Which hardware is better? Is any of the current equipment using 2nd generation chip technology yet? And finally, what about upgradeability of the equipment?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Most of your questions have been debated over and over. Do some searches.

But, here are some of my thoughts:

1. Dish and DirecTV both over-compress the picture. Some people like's Dish's better, some like DirecTV's better. The fact is that both do difference levels of compression depending on what channel and I think what is on.

2. I think most people agree that the DirecTV hardware is better, but that might change with the new Echostar receivers coming out. They could blow everything out of the water.

3. For HDTV, DirecTV has the HDNET channel, which is mostly sports. Dish has CBS if you qualify and Showtime. They both had HBO. Dish has a better (more available) HDPPV channel. I think Dish has more capacity to add HD channels and is pushing the networks to allow them to carry more. DirecTV is running low on transponder space, shown by the fact that they had to eliminate their demo channel to add HDNet.

I'll probably get people disagreeing with what I said, but it's a start.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianBHD:
1. Dish and DirecTV both over-compress the picture. Some people like's Dish's better, some like DirecTV's better. The fact is that both do difference levels of compression depending on what channel and I think what is on.
In other words, picture quality sucks on both, but in different ways. You may find the manner in which one sucks to be less offensive than the other though. I've read just as many postings on USENET from people who have had both services that claim DirecTV has better PQ than Dish as I've read from people that claim Dish PQ is better than DirecTV. My perception is that overall, PQ is about equal, but Dish PQ has more variance - a lot more outlyers, with either unusually good or unusually bad picture quality.

Quote:

2. I think most people agree that the DirecTV hardware is better, but that might change with the new Echostar receivers coming out. They could blow everything out of the water.
I think most Dish subscribers (I am one) will agree that the program guide really sucks on Dish Network receivers. The Dish 921PVR could be really interesting if it's everything the rumors say it is. But its guide will probably still suck.

The Dish 6000 does use a plug-in module for its OTA tuner, and supposedly DVI and Firewire modules are being developed for it as well. If the 921PVR uses the same plug-in modules for its OTA tuner, and DVI and Firewire outputs, then I'd say Dish Network has the big edge in upgradeability.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
475 Posts
Jonathan,

Quote:
I think most Dish subscribers (I am one) will agree that the program guide really sucks on Dish Network receivers.
I'm curious about why you think that the Dish program guide sucks. I've been a customer for over 4 years now and the only thing that really bothers me about it is the "Info not available" titles all over the place and having to wait a minute or two for them to fill in. Other than that, I don't have a problem with it really - I haven't used the DirecTV one, so the only thing I can compare it to is something like clicktv.com. Just looking for some other perspectives.

Roddie

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had Direct, now Dish 6000. The Direct guide on my original Sony had much better graphics using more colors which allowed a smoother image. Also the ability to look at a page of the guide while still watching the current channel behind it was a nice touch. Also all those info not available titles make it tough to find a program. The Dish box looks like old style AppleII graphics while the DTV box looked like more recent graphics on a PC or Mac...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The DISH 6000 supports 720p output while (to the best of my knowledge) DirecTV units do not. For me, this made the decision easy. If your monitor does not support 720p, this will likely be an non-issue for you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
money talks bullsh1t walks.

I recd my dish 6023 system w both dishes and install kit for

299 + 35 shipping (+ 79 dollar 8vsb module)

I get the americas everything package, where I recieve ALL of the channels dish offers (not ppv or local)

45 a month for 12 months includes all premium pay channels. (they are offering 21 dollar rebate every month!)

I recently purchased a dtv recvr for 527 incl shipping, the hughes hd rcvr from ************** for hdnet. no dish included.

A comprable directv package for programming runs over 85 bucks.

The monthly rate is alone enough for me to stay w/ dish. Also the 6000 menu is goofy looking, but it does work. I seldom use the program guide, i use the browse function which does retain the video and audio.

pq is a wash. everyone who claims one is better than the other has to realize differnt recvr, esp from differnt companies will have differnt color, contrast, gamma setting etc. Like comparing highend audio equipment at differnt volumes tone settings etc. You're never comparing apples to apples so who can tell. Anyone tells you oh i had both so i know dont know sh1t.

btw i had old analog cable with constant video noise. The dss systems are vastly superior to what I had so I am very happy with the pq, even on sd.

After a year when my rebate runs out for dish, i probably will switch to get directivo, but who knows. Oh sho hd is pretty cool, but there simply isnt enough real hd content, so I probably wont miss it if I switch.

You have to search to get the dish deals now, they are harder to find, but pound for pound dish is a much better deal.

Hdnet definitely puts directv ahead in my book as far as programming goes though.

K

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think that the #1 issue between these 2 companies is that DISH builds & sells their equipment, DTV (except for Hughes)does not. Pretty much a DISH receiver may have it quirks will still work. When you have a problem you can call DISH and hopefully find someone to help. With DTV well you may have to deal with the manufacturer as well and you could get the runaround. But with several manufacturers you have a choice in which equipment you want. So basically it's a crapshoot.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ken_atwell:
The DISH 6000 supports 720p output while (to the best of my knowledge) DirecTV units do not. For me, this made the decision easy. If your monitor does not support 720p, this will likely be an non-issue for you.

What you are saying is that DTV will not be able to carry ABC-HD and Dish will?

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
What you are saying is that DTV will not be able to carry ABC-HD and Dish will?
I believe this is only regarding native output. If your redvr doesnt have native 720p output, it will rescale to 1080i. btw the panasonic dtv rcdvr has native 720p output.

K

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
"I think most Dish subscribers (I am one) will agree that the program guide really sucks on Dish Network receivers"

Yes it does, the reason is becasue every 1.5-2 hours you have to wait for the guide to retrieve the info from the satellite. I have 2 2700 (now 2800s). I have used a 6000 and IMO it is a very nice reciever, I wish Charlie would add OpenTV to in but it still is a nice IRD. I have never used a D* HD IRD. Right now E* has the most HD content. And you'll have to beable to see one of the side slots, 148 or 61.5 from your location. The only differences is 148 doesnt have the HD Demo channel and it has KCBS-DT, while 61.5 has the Demo channel and WCBS-DT.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
The debate over dish vs direct is many years old. Most of the relevant info is here in most peoples posts already. Dish hardware is fine, and the Dish 6000 is a little more up to date than the DTC100, including connectivity and resolution support. But these are things that you may not need.

As far as picture quality, I have seen both and franlky, I think most of the HD picture quality depends on the source material conversion quality. SD picture quality basically sucks period, regardless of the unit as the scalers internally are the cheapest ones they could probably buy.

1 person did make the point that with Dish, its one vendor, which is in fact worth something. I have had 5 dish recievers of different models over the years, and have always been happy. The directv recievers vary widely from manufactrer to manufacturer. The Dish program guide is clean and basic with all the info you need. No barking dogs, and cutesy graphics, and search stuff. I for one, did not buy a satellite reciever to look at the program guide. I use it to find the program and then its gone.

Reality is, the units are functionally equivalent as are the sat companies. THey broadcast the same programming the same way. One may compress one station more than the other, but its the same programming regardless.

I am partial to Dish because I like the fact that their TV systems are engineered as systems and they have some support people that actually understand how their stuff works. THe bottom line is that these two sat companies have 20 million subscribers between them and it is impossible for them to be perfect to each and every customer

Finally, the DTC 100 is at the end of its product life cycle, where the dish 6000 is kinda at the beginning/middle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.