AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Harmony remote will work best with the SA8300HD (remote control - UR2-CBL-CV04)? I noticed the 680 has "LIVE" and "MORE". Does the 676 have the same or can these commands be learned by the 676?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just purchased the 628 at Sams club for $98.

It is really just a 659 with the "Harmony" button changed to a "guide" button and the vcr buttons moved closer to the middle of the remote.

I have the SA 8300 and the remote works perfect with it.

You will probably want to change the timing of the remotes milliseconds to "0" for this device because the default settings are to slow compared to the 8300's remote.

You will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 880 and it works wonderfully with my SA8300HD DVR. Everything is on my LCD screen, pretty much you can do anything to your likings.

·
Registered
280 Posts
All harmony remotes will be supplied with the same codes for the 8300. I have the 520 and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
I just got a 676, but i'm unable to get the software to work on my PC. The Troubleshooting procedure doesn't address the problem. I'll fiddle with it more on Monday when i get some time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I just got a 676, but i'm unable to get the software to work on my PC. The Troubleshooting procedure doesn't address the problem. I'll fiddle with it more on Monday when i get some time.
What exactly is not working?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Same here! I got the 680 today. When I attempted to install the software it hung my machine (XP). Ever since then my machine has never been the same. It hangs once I boot. It almost looks like I have hard disk problem. It will hang for several minutes and eventually come back but it will hang again. I'm continuing to troubleshoot as well.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes. You can change the milliseconds via the website menu.

Just go to "More Options" for the 8300 device.

Then click on "Adjust the Delays" (Speed Settings).

Set all 3 values to "0" and you are done.

·
Registered
607 Posts
676 here - i use the chapter skip forward button as my live button and skip back as my instant replay. I'm not sure what you want "more" for on the 8300HD, but I put page up/down on the LCD if that's what you're thinking. There are Page up/down hard buttons on the 676, but they're also labeled A & B, which I use more frequently, so that's how they're setup there. Since the "menu" button on my 8300HD (passport software) does the same thing as guide, i actually setup the menu button to correspond to "list" on the original remote, which means one less LCD button needed.

All harmony remotes can learn or program any command you want to any button, it's just a matter of what the button labels are and how many hard buttons you can configure appropriate (vs putting stuff all on the LCD). The Harmony database has every button on the original 8300HD remote, so you won't even have to do any learning.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade
I just purchased the 628 at Sams club for $98.

It is really just a 659 with the "Harmony" button changed to a "guide" button and the vcr buttons moved closer to the middle of the remote.
Just for the record, the 628 is missing a few other hard buttons (menu, info, exit, etc.) compared to the 659. If it still had those buttons in conjunction with the relocation of the transport controls, I think it would be a much more popular remote. Of course, it'll still control an 8300HD just fine.

As an aside, what Logitech/Harmony (or SOMEONE) really needs to do is make a remote aimed at those with digital cable/satellite (ie seemingly everyone) with the A, B, and C buttons as hard buttons. That's my only complaint about my Harmony really, and in a way it's really the cable companies' fault for setting up such a proprietary system.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They allready have it its called the 885 675 525 etc all european models have 4 colored buttons which would work wonders over here in america

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofs1
They allready have it its called the 885 675 525 etc all european models have 4 colored buttons which would work wonders over here in america
amen to that - somebody just needs to import them. Although, on some of those models, you lose other buttons from the remote to make room for the colored buttons. Further, I don't think the colored buttons line up in the same order (color wise) as the cable buttons here. Nor are they labeled with A, B, and C. So I agree, it would be very nice, but still not quite right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I realize that the buttons in european models arent quite setup for a,b,c mode but it means its got to be easy for logitech to make them perfect for use in america plus after looking at some good pics of the 885 it seems they chopped up the up/down arrows and made 4 buttons dont know bout others but i dont use those buttons when in dvr/cable mode

·
Registered
607 Posts
i do actually use the up/down for page up/down, but I do overall agree with you that there's no reason it shouldn't possible, even easy to do. hope some reads this, but i'm not holding my breath...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.