AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have DirecTV but it seems to be blurry from Mpeg2 compression when it comes to little details.....

My OTA Signal is not very strong but seems to look better than DirecTV, but I only get one channel in good and the rest arent so good....

I was thinking of cable but it is so danged expensive out here....39.95 a month for extended basic. But I would have the advantage of runing to multiple TVs with out having to get extra boxes, or cards, or dual LNB and etc......

·
Registered
972 Posts
well aint that the $64,000 question! Thanks for posting the poll, good topic.

IF I could get a clean analog cable signal to the house and IF I could confirm that I didn't have to rent a cable box and IF I didn't have to subscribe to digital cable and IF I could get unscrambled QAM local digital stations (per FCC's intent in the '92 cable act?) THEN I would give TWC cable another chance. To many IF's for me, so I'm sticking with sat for now.

No offense to any TWC employees or others happy with their service, this is purely based on my past experiences only...

YMMV :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent seen standard cable yet on my TV so all I have to compare is directv and OTA :(

would be nice though if ext basic wasnt soooooooo much from adelphia :(

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Line doublers seem to have more problems with MPEG artifacts. Good analog sources look best in my experience (OTA and Cable).

Unfortunately, most analog cable sources are not good.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I can easily A/B OTA and Directv. I have a 12' directional antenna on a rotor with remote control. Here in Silicon Valley I can get about 28 stations with about 22 rated good. I'm using RG6. I also get local channels with Directv. OTA looks fuzzy. Directv looks crisp. OTA looks washed out. Directv colors are more vibrant.

Bottom line.....I WANT MY HDTV!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I get digital cable from AT&T Broadband (soon to be named Comcast). I complained about signal quality several times, and eventually they replaced the buried cable running from the telephone poles to the house. Now the quality is excellent.

On my new Sammy HLM507W, some local analog channels are extremely sharp and free of artifacts. Some digital-channel shows are also very sharp. And when I say sharp, I mean very close to the quality of my 480i Toshiba DVD player.

* Edited to correct the name change on the first line. At one time the new entity was to be called AT&T Comcast, but the principals at Comcast changed their minds; they said they didn't want their company to be confused with AT&T subsidiaries that could be considered competitors. At least that's what AT&T personnel are saying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For your analog choices, the answer will always be "it depends." If you can get it, a clear OTA reception will beat the rest. A clear standard cable connection is a rarity. Digital sources depend greatly on their line doubling as mentioned.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The answer is OTA -- no contest. With the proviso you can get a clean signal, of course.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well just wanted to post an update.

Ttied a better antenna and still didnt have better luck. Three channels came in great and the rest were crappy. Luckily two of these channels are broadcasting in HDTV Now (PBS and a christian channel which I'll most likely never watch) and the other will be soon (NBC).

I decided to get cabl since it is on special for free install and 20 bucks a monthn for the first few months. Overall I like it better than DirectTV with My RP HDTV. The picture is a bit grainy compared to directtv but much sharper. Fine details are not blurry. I can comensate on the TV using this DNR feature to loose the grainyness and it looks great but some sharpness is lost (although still better than directtv).

I plan on getting better quality splitters though since the ones I have are reeeeealy old and weather worn.

The biggest thing I like about the cable is I can have it to as many TV s as I like and not have to have additional boxes, and THE PIP FEATURE!!!!! I never played with PIP before and man its great! I have the normal PIP mode and then a channel surfing mode that shrinks the screen and displays three cycling channels on the side.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A christina channel? Is that Christina Aguilera all the time? I might watch that some. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have Dish and the picture is terrible through a non-HD receiver. With a HD box it is a little cleaner, but the over the air digital pictures are much better.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
"C-Band satellites beat all available sources..." ...except digital OTA, right? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.