Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I am getting a HD cable box, the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD. I have a Sony super data CRT projector. Projector works best with 5 BNC component inputs. I believe it also works best with a progressice video feed. I am using a decent computer dedicated to this. I have used coax cable to a cheap TV Tuner card with DScaler simply to clean up the image, deinterlace, and output progressive image via DB15 monitor cable with 5 BNC outputs.

The HD box has outputs for DVI, YPbPr component out, svideo, and composite.

My question is that assuming i need to run through DScaler program, what is the best tv tuner card for this that is compatible with DScaler? I am having trouble finding the right card with the right input ability to maximize the benefits of the HD video signal I can now get from Comcast.

Is DVI output already progressive? Can i just use a DVI to 5-BNC connector cable i have found online for $12?

thanks alot in advance,

Neil

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"Is DVI output already progressive? Can i just use a DVI to 5-BNC connector cable i have found online for $12?"

Depends if it's DVI-D or DVD-I, DVI-D is digital only and can't be converted via an adapter cable, if the box happens to output DVI-I, that means it has both digital and analog and you could probably use the cable. Look up the differences online, the plugs are slightly different between the two types.

HD can be 1080i interlaced or 720p progressive depending on which output you select on the cable box also.

"My question is that assuming i need to run through DScaler program, what is the best tv tuner card for this that is compatible with DScaler? I am having trouble finding the right card with the right input ability to maximize the benefits of the HD video signal I can now get from Comcast."

You won't find an adapter card that supports component or DVI from the HD cable box to your PC either, the bandwidth requirements are too high for any PC to keep up with. You'll probably want to take the PC out of the loop for HD programming. You can try a QAM capable card and hook the cable directly to the PC like you have now but you wouldn't be able to get any premium HD channels you receive via the cable box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. now it turns out the story is different. I don't need that SciAtl box b/c the HD DVR also has a tuner in it. It does not have DVI out, but has 1394 outputs, component out, and HDMI. HDMI should like it is the best maybe, but i have no idea how to mate it with my Sony CRT which ONLY takes 5 BNC input.

Any idea what i should do?

thanks alot. just got the cable stuff set and i'd love to pickup or order the right cable and am excited to see the best signal i can tonight. My htpc improved the SDTV signal, but crap in, crap out. Really can't wait to see the CRT get HD signal!

thanks in advance, again.

neil

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your options are basically a HDMI to DVI cable to a DVI to VGA convertor such as the $399 unit listed here then to a VGA breakout cable which you probably already have or component to a component to VGA transcoder such as the $299 unit listed here then the same breakout cable.

Unfortunately the CRT projectors while producing very nice pictures are not equiped with the more current inputs used so they can be a bit more costly to make work with HD equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.