AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to purchase an HD DVD player and would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Bashful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because HD-DVD players are relatively cheap, make your choice based on your current needs.

The current line of HD players differs primarily in two respects: 720p (1080i) only (Toshiba HD-A3) or 1080p capable (A30 and A35), and their ability to pass the new surround sound information like Dolby TrueHD directly to a capable reciever.

If you don't have a 1080p capable television now, don't waste money on a 1080p player, pick the A3.

If you have a 1080p capable television, choose the A30, unless you have a receiver capable of decoding TrueHD (rare at this point), in which case, choose the A35.

I wouldn't over-invest to "future proof" yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybla /forum/post/13002941

If you have a 1080p capable television, choose the A30, unless you have a receiver capable of decoding TrueHD (rare at this point), in which case, choose the A35.

I wouldn't over-invest to "future proof" yourself.

Wait a minute... I thought the A30 was capable of sending TrueHD.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliko /forum/post/13004412

Wait a minute... I thought the A30 was capable of sending TrueHD.

PCM but not bitstream to a v1.3 HDMI capable reciever.

You need either the A35 or XA2 to bitstream lossless audio to a capable receiver.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would feed 1080i out of the A3 over 720p unless your set fusses over it. It is worth considering even if you have a 1080p set b/c the set will convert the 1080i signal to 1080p (just make sure your set does it well by checking out the specific display forums here). I have an A20 and could not tell a difference between sending a 1080i signal from the Toshiba to my 1080p set versus sending 1080p right out of the HD DVD player. My Panasonic set switched the 1080i to p anyway and it looked the same.

The A30 runs circles around the A3 for upconverting SD DVD, though. For 50$ more, I think it is a worthwhile bump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts