AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several options for HD tuner cards for HTPCs, but I'd hate to fork out a bunch of money for one, only to find out that another cheaper one is as good, or better?

What are the pros & cons of various HD tuner cards?

Also, anybody seen any good prices?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good prices? for $150, the fusion HDTV-I is your only choice. the next step up ($200) is the fusion HDTV-II (adds a second antenna input, and analog video inputs), which should become available soon. $250 lets you get the myHD card (this is the cheapest hardware based HDTV decoder. The price shouldn't last long as it is discounted in preparation for a newer card).

A few months ago, $300 was the minimum entry cost...

In terms of tuners, many of the current cards rely on the same (or very similar solutions). The Fusion-I and the HiDTV cards have an integrated, and thus cheaper, tuner/modulator. This may have better sensitivity results, but also means that there is only one antenna input on these cards. The other cards all have two antenna inputs and discrete tuners and modulators. AFAIK, these cards are fairly comparable (although the HiPix, the oldest card, might be a little bit behind)

You'll find some more information on the HDTV cards on the market in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=207262

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.