AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the demise of HD and the subsequent unloading of all these HD players, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick one for personal use. But which one? What is the general consensus here?

I have a high-end audio system, so an excellent CD transport would be awesome. But, not a deal-breaker.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
28,803 Posts
How much do you want to spend? And does your high end system process HDMI audio? Does it decode TrueHD and DTS-MA signals?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
HD-XA2. Even if your system doesn't benefit from certain codecs, you may want to take advantage of them later on.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
HD-XA2, Onkyo HD805, Integra 8.8

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, I have collected every HD player with the exception of the Onkyo (basically a rebadged XA-2) and the RCA (a rebadged A1)- I even have all three of the dual format players, so I am somewhat of an expert I guess.

If cost is no issue, the XA-2 wins due to the upscaling with its Reon HQV processing and anaolg outputs in case you don't have a receiver that accepts HDMi. If cost is an issue, the A30 does a fine job and is not as pricey as the A35 (pic quality is the same, but the A35 has analog outs for all channels). If you want the best CD sound, good upscaling and analog outs but you can handle longer load times, the XA-1 is also great and can be had for a song. My least favorites- although still decent- are the A1 (slow and for some reason seems to not be as good on sound quality and upconversion as the XA-1 even though it is the same chipset) and the A2/A20 (these are OK, but the A3/A30/A35's are better).

Among the dual players, the Sammy UP5000 and the LG BH200 are both good. The Sammy even has the same Reon chip inside.

As with everythting, this is all just my opinion.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore /forum/post/14312780

My least favorites- although still decent- are the A1 (slow and for some reason seems to not be as good on sound quality and upconversion as the XA-1 even though it is the same chipset) and the A2/A20 (these are OK, but the A3/A30/A35's are better).

Can you elaborate on why you think the A3X series is better than A2/A20? My A2 and A20 have been solid as a rock with no disc playback problems, and most folks seem to feel the 3rd gen players weren't quite as solid/reliable. I am definitely curious into your insight, since you own all of them.

On that note, can you also elaborate on why you own every single HD DVD player, including the three combo players?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14313389

Can you elaborate on why you think the A3X series is better than A2/A20? My A2 and A20 have been solid as a rock with no disc playback problems, and most folks seem to feel the 3rd gen players weren't quite as solid/reliable. I am definitely curious into your insight, since you own all of them.

On that note, can you also elaborate on why you own every single HD DVD player, including the three combo players?

The reason I have all of the players is simple: I started buying up movies and found that many times, I could buy a pile of HD DVDs along with a player cheaper than just buying up the movies. I also ran into A3, A30, A2's, etc. as Best Buy and Circuit City were getting rid of them for pennies on the dollar and they are all damn fine DVD upconverters as well as play my 250 or so HD DVDs.

I think the picture quality (upconversion) of the 3x series is better than the 2x series and the load times are a bit better. My A3 is hands down better all around than the A2 I have. However, I have no idea about the long term reliability of any of them as I have never to this point had a problem with any of the units except the X-A2 which came to me as a DOA refurb, but was replaced by Toshiba.

I have the dual players for rooms in my house and in our vacation condo where having two players is not convenient. They work very well and firmware has evolved to a decent level since about May.

Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
XA2, 805, 8.8 or A35. Even if you can't use it now, 1080p24 and bitstreaming could be useful in the future.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in DVD upconversion whatsoever with any of the 2nd gens vs. 3rd gens, EXCEPT for the XA2. The XA2 being best because of the added picture settings.

I don't even notice a DVD upconversion difference between the A2 and the A35. Some of you must have way better eyes than me. BTW, I have owned all of the Toshiba 2nd and 3rd gens, an XA1, and a 805 (a rebadged XA2).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts