AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if HD 6450 should be fine for MadVR and should I go with nVidia card GT 630 or more powerful like HD 6670. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm running an HD6870 and the only thing it can't handle is the highes jinc. I'm using the Intel Quick-sync Decoder for LAV, though, leaving the GPU to do just rendering while the CPU does the decoding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, really the question is what content will you watch and what scaling options do you prefer?

For progressive material (SD and HD 24fps), I have a 6570 and 6670 that do Jinc3/AR (luma/chroma) with playback to 1080P without issue. Will not handle Jinc/AR w/Deinterlacing, however, have turn off AR or back it down to Lanczos or Spline.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Quite frankly - stick with something cheap - and forget madVR - I'm runnning it on a 65" plasma and 110" projector and I'm damned if I can tell the slightest difference in either HD or SD playback in comparison - pure placebo.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22651669

Quite frankly - stick with something cheap - and forget madVR - I'm runnning it on a 65" plasma and 110" projector and I'm damned if I can tell the slightest difference in either HD or SD playback in comparison - pure placebo.

What?!? Blasphemy!
I said something similar months ago and some people questioned my sanity.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22651669

If you are talking about 1080p Full HD there are no significant differencies

but if you are watching 720p, interlaced material or DVD / SD(.avi) the scaling algorithms can do terrific job.

The auto refresh rate change is a nice feature, too.

My opinion is to buy the most powerfull card you can afford and if you have problems

try some lower settings.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

Quote:

I really don't understand what this says. Did you do a test using MadVR on SD playback on your 110 inch screen and then the same test without using MadVR on the same screen? Or are you saying that you can't tell the difference between HD and SD playback of the same information on the same screen?

·
Registered
864 Posts
there is really no reason i can think of not to use madvr if you use windows.

It's free, and you can configure it to be very fast as well as excruciatingly slow, it's sorta your preference.

To answer OP's question, you can make it work either card I think, but the higher end cards would give you more options in the scaling department.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I originally got MadVR to do frame rate switching but then discovered that it didn't play well with 720p as the HD2000 graphics in my i3-550 weren't up to the task. A $60 GT-430 resolved that issue and then I was able to dial in the frame rate to nearly 23.976 as well with frame skips on the order of many hours. I do notice frame skips when they occur but that doesn't make it a bad thing at all as it doesn't look bad at all. It is the inability of HD2000 to keep up with 720p Live/Recorded TV that was the issue as there were frame skips on the order of 3 or 4 a second which is VERY noticeable.

That said, not using MadVR is a viable option if you don't need automatic frame rate switching or are using XBMC, which I am not. If you go that route you most assuredly are not losing your sanity.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652630

there is really no reason i can think of not to use madvr if you use windows.

It's free, and you can configure it to be very fast as well as excruciatingly slow, it's sorta your preference.

1. Added cost ($-$$$) of discrete graphics card

2. Added heat of discrete card

3. Added hassle

4. Larger case needed for discrete card

5. Potentially larger PSU needed for discrete card

Just a few off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Agreed but I woudn't go shelling out big bucks just to use it

@mfusick - thanks.

@assassin - yes and I agreed with you then as well lol.

Why has automatic refresh rate switching become so highly rated for madVR use? - xbmc, media portal, mpc-hc natively all do it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
madvr doesnt require a discrete card. you always had the option of using bilinear for slow gpus, and now you have the dxva scaler too.

and with ivy bridge and trinity, integrated graphics has gotten faster too.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652708

madvr doesnt require a discrete card. you always had the option of using bilinear for slow gpus, and now you have the dxva scaler too.

I understand. But if you want to use all the possible settings in Madvr you need a discrete card. So saying you don't need one at all isn't really accurate.

Still waiting on some screenshots for 1080p and 720p showing the differences. Madshi showed comparison screenshots on non-HD material so I have no idea why this has been so difficult to show for HD material.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After 3 years using a Popcorn Hour, this past black Friday I finally was able to build my first HTPC. I did setup XBMC following Assassin guides for HD audio bitstreaming, these are my findings:

1. 1080p Bluray (folders) movies look better on the HTPC. This is a huge surprise, because the popcorn is highly regarded for picture quality and I didn't think there were room for improvement.

2. 720p24 TV shows and movies look so much better on the Popcorn. I tried every possible upcaling method in XBMC and it didn't make a difference. Am I doing something wrong? Big dissapointment here.

3. DVD movies ripped to mkv look terrible on the HTPC.The Popcorn is just so much better.

75% of the content I watch is 1080p Bluray movies, 20% 720p24 TV Shows and movies. The problem is that lately I being watching just TV Shows that I obtained using the awesome program called sickbeard.

It seems extremely odd, that a great program as XBMC (that has almost everything you need to enjoy an HTPC) does a such a poor job in the upscaling department.

This is off course just my opinion, but also IMHO you have to be blind not to see the difference. Just remember this comparison is using XBMC and a Popcorn Hour A-200.

Now I need to decide if any alternatives or hardware upgrades are worth my time.

What are the alternatives for an HTPC front end with good integration with MPC-HC?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juaniquillo  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652732

After 3 years using a Popcorn Hour, this past black Friday I finally was able to build my first HTPC. I did setup XBMC following Assassin guides for HD audio bitstreaming, these are my findings:

1. 1080p Bluray (folders) movies look better on the HTPC. This is a huge surprise, because the popcorn is highly regarded for picture quality and I didn't think there were room for improvement.

2. 720p24 TV shows and movies look so much better on the Popcorn. I tried every possible upcaling method in XBMC and it didn't make a difference. Am I doing something wrong? Big dissapointment here.

3. DVD movies ripped to mkv look terrible on the HTPC.The Popcorn is just so much better.

75% of the content I watch is 1080p Bluray movies, 20% 720p24 TV Shows and movies. The problem is that lately I being watching just TV Shows that I obtained using the awesome program called sickbeard.

It seems extremely odd, that a great program as XBMC (that has almost everything you need to enjoy an HTPC) does a such a poor job in the upscaling department.

This is off course just my opinion, but also IMHO you have to be blind not to see the difference. Just remember this comparison is using XBMC and a Popcorn Hour A-200.

Now I need to decide if any alternatives or hardware upgrades are worth my time.

What are the alternatives for an HTPC front end with good integration with MPC-HC?

So you may benefit from something like Madvr. I would try it especially for your non-HD media.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652686

1. Added cost ($-$$$) of discrete graphics card

2. Added heat of discrete card

3. Added hassle

4. Larger case needed for discrete card

5. Potentially larger PSU needed for discrete card

Just a few off the top of my head.

Very true but my case and PSU were already big enough. I agree on added heat but have not seen any ill effects and don't think I will in the life-span of my HTPC either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652687

Agreed but I woudn't go shelling out big bucks just to use it

@mfusick - thanks.

@assassin - yes and I agreed with you then as well lol.

Why has automatic refresh rate switching become so highly rated for madVR use? - xbmc, media portal, mpc-hc natively all do it.

I tried it with HPC-HC but could not get it to work. I don't use the other offerings as I like MB and don't want to spend the time to configure XBMC which I don't think works with WMC extenders. Media Portal doesn't work at all with Copy Protected content or CableCARD tuners so it is out of the question too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652708

True. I could update my MoBo and CPU or get a GPU. Getting the GPU was much cheaper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My other machine specs are Intel Celron G530 dual core and 4 gig Ram, 60 inch Sharp LCD....currently, using built-in video.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22652742

So you may benefit from something like Madvr. I would try it especially for your non-HD media.

Assassin, I know your point of view regarding the "picture upscaling quality issue" and I understand your main goal is to bring simplicity to the whole HTPC complex setup process, which you do with your guides, but I think your skills will serve well the community if you decide to do a madVR guide.

I tried to follow the 4th option for HD Audio setup in your guides, but the integration with XBMC is just not there, for instance what happen when you stop the movie, you are left with MPC open.

Can you point me in the right direction to setup a better upscaling option in XBMC or other front end solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juaniquillo  /t/1442663/which-hd-would-be-sufficient-for-madvr#post_22653373

Assassin, I know your point of view regarding the "picture upscaling quality issue" and I understand your main goal is to bring simplicity to the whole HTPC complex setup process, which you do with your guides, but I think your skills will serve well the community if you decide to do a madVR guide.

I tried to follow the 4th option for HD Audio setup in your guides, but the integration with XBMC is just not there, for instance what happen when you stop the movie, you are left with MPC open.

Can you point me in the right direction to setup a better upscaling option in XBMC or other front end solution?

Thanks.

I have a Madvr guide here .

Also Mindbomb has an excellent Madvr guide which I also link from my guide.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts