AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some cables. I need cables that will do 4k/60/HDR/4:4:4 and all that other good stuff! Can anyone recommend me some cables that I can purchase on amazon? I need two 8' lengths and one 20' length. I will be using these with a Yamaha V681 receiver, Playstation Pro, Sony 900e, and high end gaming PC.

Which cables should I buy?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
Hey guys, I need some cables. I need cables that will do 4k/60/HDR/4:4:4 and all that other good stuff! Can anyone recommend me some cables that I can purchase on amazon? I need two 8' lengths and one 20' length. I will be using these with a Yamaha V681 receiver, Playstation Pro, Sony 900e, and high end gaming PC.

Which cables should I buy?

Thanks guys!
It's a crapshoot right now. Cable runs under 20' should be able to handle what you want if the cable is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified by an ATC with a QR code for authenticity) but there are no 100% guarantees because there is more to a successful connection that just the data pipe (cable). It also depends on the HDMI chipsets within your devices, cable setup, etc. Don't be fooled by the expensive cables (Monster, AudioQuest, etc) because they will make all kinds of claims with really slick marketing but the bottom line is that cables that cost a lot less will perform just as well. You'll just need to try various cables and see what works best for you. Try Monoprice, MediaBridge, BJC, etc and pay attention to the return policies. If your run is in-wall you should consider running your cable in a conduit because you will be swapping out your cables again at some point in time. The only way to "future proof" you cabling is with the use of conduit if your cables are not easily accessible or in-wall. Forget about HDMI 2.1 for now because that is a whole other can of worms that is going to rear its ugly head next year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a crapshoot right now. Cable runs under 20' should be able to handle what you want if the cable is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified by an ATC with a QR code for authenticity) but there are no 100% guarantees because there is more to a successful connection that just the data pipe (cable). It also depends on the HDMI chipsets within your devices, cable setup, etc. Don't be fooled by the expensive cables (Monster, AudioQuest, etc) because they will make all kinds of claims with really slick marketing but the bottom line is that cables that cost a lot less will perform just as well. You'll just need to try various cables and see what works best for you. Try Monoprice, MediaBridge, BJC, etc and pay attention to the return policies. If your run is in-wall you should consider running your cable in a conduit because you will be swapping out your cables again at some point in time. The only way to "future proof" you cabling is with the use of conduit if your cables are not easily accessible or in-wall. Forget about HDMI 2.1 for now because that is a whole other can of worms that is going to rear its ugly head next year.

Thanks for the reply and sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Its been a crazy week!

So that sound like a bit of a pain in the butt. I guess I'll just have to keep rolling the dice to see what works. Its gonna be a bummer Christmas morning when we unwrap the new 900E if out new cables dont work but I guess there's nothing we can do about it but cross my fingers.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
^^^^^ if your longest cable run is 20' or less, you should be ok with what I recommended, provided you take into account bend radius, etc. Just keep your cable receipts ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the reply and sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Its been a crazy week!

So that sound like a bit of a pain in the butt. I guess I'll just have to keep rolling the dice to see what works. Its gonna be a bummer Christmas morning when we unwrap the new 900E if out new cables dont work but I guess there's nothing we can do about it but cross my fingers.

Thanks again!
What Otto said was "get premium certified cables". That's a real thing and not just marketing, and if you buy online it does not cost any more than a non certified cable. Look for Monoprice on Amazon.com, but make sure to get the "premium certified" ones.

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
So these Mediabridge don't actually say the words "Premium Certified" Are these ok? Monoprice is out of stock.
https://smile.amazon.com/Mediabridg...d=1513471021&sr=1-1&keywords=mediabridge+hdmi

Thank you all for your help!
MediaBridge makes good cables. I've used them in the past, at least for 1080p, and they were flawless. The "hand testing" is a bit misleading though because you don't know what that means. Were they just plugged in and tested for a signal or were they tested with a battery of recognized testings procedure? Even a certified cable (one with a QR code for authenticity) is not a 100% guarantee that it's going to work with your particular equipment. All you can do is try. They may work just fine. If your setup is a bit difficult to get to (cables behind furniture, in-wall, whatever) then I would lay them out on the floor for a couple of days and thoroughly test them out before the final installation. You never did say how your cable run is setup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, nothing fancy. I'm not installing them in the walls or anything so If a cable isnt good i can just replace it easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts