AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new ps3 and will be getting a new receiver and speakers soon and already have a 42in sharp aquas and was wondering what HDMI cables to get for my ps3. I also have an HD/DVR from directv. I know from looking around here to get one from monoprice but they had a ton of different ones and was wondering if someone could help me figure out which one to get. I dont need a particularly long one just didnt know which one to get. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I just did the same thing except TV was a Vizio. I bought the cheapest HDMI cables they had. It was ~ $4.50 for 6'. You need Male to Male and I think they're all version 1.3 certified. You generally don't need gold plating, thicker cables (lower gauge #), CL2 rating, special angle connectors, flater cables, or pretty colors - all of which drive the price up.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15428711

I just did the same thing except TV was a Vizio. I bought the cheapest HDMI cables they had. It was ~ $4.50 for 6'. You need Male to Male and I think they're all version 1.3 certified. You generally don't need gold plating, thicker cables (lower gauge #), CL2 rating, special angle connectors, flater cables, or pretty colors - all of which drive the price up.

Yah I don't need anything special but I want the best audio and video I can get.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It's a digital signal, so once you get to the point where it works, there's nothing to be gained by a better cable. If it doesn't work the audio will cut out, image will breakup, sparkle, or show no picture at all. It's not subtle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15428807

It's a digital signal, so once you get to the point where it works, there's nothing to be gained by a better cable. If it doesn't work the audio will cut out, image will breakup, sparkle, or show no picture at all. It's not subtle.

So a nicer cabie does no good? I was always told to stay away from the cheap cables. So should I just buy the cheapest 1.3a cable they have?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
So a nicer cabie does no good? I was always told to stay away from the cheap cables. So should I just buy the cheapest 1.3a cable they have?

The only real difference would be the build quality and the cheaper cables could fall apart over time if you do handle them a lot.

Saying that monoprice.com has the best $$$/performance cables out there period and has a geat following. I have over 50K in electronics equipment throughout my house and I use Monoprice.com stuff all the time.

I will also mention BlueJeanCable.com because they are more expensive then monoprice.com but they build to your specs and they have a better build quality then monoprice.com.

Those are the only two companies you need to choose from, never buy in a local store because you are being ripped off!!!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/15428892

So a nicer cabie does no good? I was always told to stay away from the cheap cables.

Who told you that? A salesman in a store> Someone who just mortaged their house for new cables> ;-)

Quote:
So should I just buy the cheapest 1.3a cable they have?

In general, it will do an admirable job. If not, return it!

Since HDMI is digital, a cable will either work perfectly, or there will be obvious problems like seriously garbled portions of the screen, or it won't work at all.

There can be no cases where the sound is better balanced or more brilliant, and there can be no cases where the picture is just a little nicer.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Cheap HDMI cables can cause problems. I can confirm this. I've had two occurrences of inconsistent dropouts so far caused by cables, which were fixed simply by replacing the cables. (One was a 6 footer, and one was a 10 footer.)

On one, the problem didn't show up until months later for whatever reasons, so I wouldn't be able to return it.

I would just buy good thick cables, and I definitely wouldn't bother buying $200 boutique cables or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/15428892

So should I just buy the cheapest 1.3a cable they have?

What part of the HDMI 1.3a spec will you be using (it's a trick question)?

Seriously, all you need is a category 2 (high-speed) HDMI cable - any version should do.

A great place to go to learn about the real differences between various HDMI levels and equipment is www.hdmi.org .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so the cheap $5 cables at monoprice will do me just fine?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, I have two of those with no problems.

Monster likes to hype up the "quality" of their expensive cables. While their cables are nice, they're really no different in quality from Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables, and their prices are way high for what is essentially the same type of cable.

Monoprice has kind of an economy look to their stuff, but the cables are sturdy and reliable. Their cheapest stuff just isn't all that fancy, although some of their cables look a little nicer (with a price increase.) But looks won't net you better sound.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
If you're gonna order from them anyway then you may as well spend a whopping 100% more (all of $10 total
) on a thick 24 gauge HDMI 1.3a cable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The $6 cable I got from monoprice seems to work just fine, although it is DVI --> HDMI.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will there be a diffrence between 24AWG and 28AWG? Also what is ferrite cores and does it make a diffrence?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/15452352

Will there be a diffrence between 24AWG and 28AWG?

Probably not unless you need a really long run or something (like to a projector from across the room.) If it's like 3-6 feet, I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15452490

Probably not unless you need a really long run or something (like to a projector from across the room.) If it's like 3-6 feet, I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference.

ok thats what I thought. Do you know what the other thing is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.