AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any consensus on which of the competing vendors' implementations of HDMI CEC is best? For instance, how does Samsung's Anynet compare to Panasonic's Viera Link?

My current home theater has an 'old' Samsung DLP, Logitech 5500 speaker/processor, Tivo S3 and HTPC. Needless to say, none of it is automated! I've got a Logitech Harmony remote with everything programmed but it's never worked smoothly, despite hours and HOURS of tweaking.

Some of the limitations I've had to workaround:

- Logitech speaker system only has 'Power Toggle' rather than separate 'Power On' and 'Power Off' commands so it frequently gets turned-off by accident.

- Samsung DLP won't pass through AC3 from HDMI inputs so I can't use it as my audio router/selector.

Sometime in the next year I plan on replacing the TV and amp/speakers and I'm hoping to get something with a better WAF
Thank you for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Honestly, I'm not aware of any that work well enough to recommend. If you restrict yourself to a single brand of equipment, everything should get along fairly well. However, restricting yourself to a single brand of equipment is pretty much never a good idea. Every company has their strengths and weaknesses... Just because a company makes great TVs doesn't mean they also have the best disc players or receivers.

I doubt you'll ever see perfect CEC interoperability between different brands of equipment, as they all have their own ideas on how to do things. That's also another way for them to "encourage" you to buy all your stuff from them.

A good programmable universal remote with macro support is really the best way to go. If you don't like the Harmony, look into touchscreen remotes. I use a Phillips Pronto which enables me to have an "Easy Mode" that just presents simple screens for basic, common functions for the wife and guests and a "Hardcore Mode" that gives me total control over every aspect of the system. RemoteCentral.com is a good starting point if you want to research different models.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero /forum/post/18300202

Is there any consensus on which of the competing vendors' implementations of HDMI CEC is best? For instance, how does Samsung's Anynet compare to Panasonic's Viera Link?

My current home theater has an 'old' Samsung DLP, Logitech 5500 speaker/processor, Tivo S3 and HTPC. Needless to say, none of it is automated! I've got a Logitech Harmony remote with everything programmed but it's never worked smoothly, despite hours and HOURS of tweaking.

Some of the limitations I've had to workaround:

- Logitech speaker system only has 'Power Toggle' rather than separate 'Power On' and 'Power Off' commands so it frequently gets turned-off by accident.

- Samsung DLP won't pass through AC3 from HDMI inputs so I can't use it as my audio router/selector.

Sometime in the next year I plan on replacing the TV and amp/speakers and I'm hoping to get something with a better WAF
Thank you for any suggestions!

Let me clarify about CEC and HDMI 1.3..

For the CEC to function each system component needs to have implemented CEC according to the defined standards. Within the Japanese brands such as Mitsubishi, Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Onkyo they have a reasonably compatible implementation of CEC for primary functions such as Power On/Off, Channel Up/Down.

However, the breakdown is mainly with the Korean brands LG & Samsung as they bypassed the HDMI/HDCP certification process while creating their own unique codes for CEC...

So when used in a system with other brand products like from Japan. there is little compatibility...

Regarding outputting digital audio from a Samsung DLP, certain models had a firmware release that permitted sending digital audio out from its coaxial or optical output when an HDMI source component was connected.. This is a very kool feature, but again Samsung doesn't say much about this feature, I found out about it accidently from an installer.

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/18302935

Regarding outputting digital audio from a Samsung DLP, certain models had a firmware release that permitted sending digital audio out from its coaxial or optical output when an HDMI source component was connected.

Thanks for the tip! if I wasn't already prepared to upgrade I would pursue it

Also, I'm assuming that the receiver will be the master switch in my new system, rather than the TV (like it is currently).

The reason I'm asking about HDMI CEC compatibility is because of the unavoidable problem with using a remote to send an extended sequence of commands to multiple hardware units. I mean, I've got my Harmony remote programmed correctly and it 'works' but I hate having to keep it aimed for 5 seconds to turn everything on and selected. And if anything gets missed it's easier to just get up and fix it by hand then to go into the Harmony menu.

I guess the ideal would be a receiver that only needed a single command, e.g. "Input: DVR", to trigger it to turn-on, send the turn-on signal to the TV, then switch itself to the DVR input. Is that possible?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero /forum/post/18304800

The reason I'm asking about HDMI CEC compatibility is because of the unavoidable problem with using a remote to send an extended sequence of commands to multiple hardware units. I mean, I've got my Harmony remote programmed correctly and it 'works' but I hate having to keep it aimed for 5 seconds to turn everything on and selected. And if anything gets missed it's easier to just get up and fix it by hand then to go into the Harmony menu.

It all depends on the remote you're using, I guess. My Pronto can be pointing any direction and has a strong enough IR transmitter to bounce the signals off the walls and get it where it needs to go. I can even use it in the next room just by aiming it through the living room doorway

And on the rare occasions where a command does get missed, I just hit that macro button to send the entire sequence again. Using discrete commands instead of toggle commands in your macros keeps you from having to get up and walk over to the equipment to hit something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero /forum/post/18304800

I guess the ideal would be a receiver that only needed a single command, e.g. "Input: DVR", to trigger it to turn-on, send the turn-on signal to the TV, then switch itself to the DVR input. Is that possible?

I know Onkyo/Integra pre-pros (and presumably receivers, too) will power up and select the chosen input when you send a discrete input command. I assume the CEC commands will turn on the other appropriate devices too, but haven't tested it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sony's is best solely because most products are made to work with it. Good example is both oppo players which it even says in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts