AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I'm looking to buy a HDMI switch. Just to make sure that I'm not buying the wrong product, I'll outline what I need and you guys let me know if I'm in the right or wrong path. Basically, I don't have enough HDMI inputs in the TV. I have multiple output sources, but not enough input. I figure an HDMI switch will do the job. Will it?

If so, which HDMI switch should I get? Are there things that I should watch out for? How fast is it for one of the better HDMI switches to switch from one source to the other? Will there be lag?

Edit: I saw this on Monoprice's website, but I'm not sure if it'll get the job done.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
784 Posts
The monoprice one works very well with no noticeable lag. The only thing I notice is a little picture breakup (almost like video noise) when it switches. I only use it for 1080i (DirecTV DVR switching); I have not tested it with 1080p. All my cable runs are 10-20 feet, so I cannot attest as to whether or not the equalizer works for long cable runs.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones /forum/post/18171663

The monoprice one works very well with no noticeable lag. The only thing I notice is a little picture breakup (almost like video noise) when it switches. I only use it for 1080i (DirecTV DVR switching); I have not tested it with 1080p. All my cable runs are 10-20 feet, so I cannot attest as to whether or not the equalizer works for long cable runs.

How long is the lag switching from source to source? The picture breakup issue you that you mentioned goes away after a few seconds right? The cables that I'll be using is no more than 6 feet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose /forum/post/18171664

http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Smart-H.../dp/B0015YWKYY

Bought one for my GF and I tried it at home first, works like a charm, and you don't even need to use the remote. About a 2 sec lag when switching inputs.

I'm hesitating to buy a no-name switch. Any reason why I should consider that over the Monoprice one? Monoprice seems to sell decent stuff and I've bought and used their cables before. I'm kind of inclined to buy from them again, but I'll go with whichever is proven to be a good performer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah. I would go with the OPPO they've proven time and time again everything they make is of pure quality. It's a little pricey though when comparing to monoprice at $99. It might be the perfection you're looking for and if it's not OPPO offers a full money back guarantee for unsatisfied customers.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I used the Monoprice 5X1 switch for several years without any problems. Auto sensing to the source used and worked as advertised. A real bargain and great service as usual from Monoprice.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18171976

I used the Monoprice 5X1 switch for several years without any problems. Auto sensing to the source used and worked as advertised. A real bargain and great service as usual from Monoprice.

What do you mean by auto-sense? Let's say I connect both my computer and the Playstation 3 to it. How does the Monoprice switcher knows which source to turn to?

I am very tempted to go with it since it's $30 vs. the $99 Oppo switch.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I meant that the switch senses which HDMI source is active. With the switch all the lights on it will be red when all HDMI connections are off. Whenever you turn on a HDMI source connected through the switch that source will trigger the HDMI connected and the light will turn green. It also comes with a remote in case that does not occur. To me its a no brainer for the Monoprice switch over the others for the cost and service alone. If it doesn't work out for you contact Monoprice and they will issue a RMA for a return. Excellent vendor to do business with.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've used that 4 to one Monoprice switch for quite a while now and so far no problems for me but some folks do have issues with it working with some gear that is picky or something like that.

I did have one cheap cable that wouldn't work with my new WDTV live, so I traded a known working cable to it and it worked fine after that.

Then I took the bad cable and hooked it to my Toshiba A2 and for whatever reason it now works OK too.

I have a A2, Panasonic BDP-10a, Denon 757, and the WDTV all switched to my Toshiba 34HFX84 CRT HDTV and so far no reals problems I couldn't figure out.

It does take a sec to sync up when changing inputs or first turning something on but it's not a huge amount of time and after that your good to go.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18176818

I meant that the switch senses which HDMI source is active. With the switch all the lights on it will be red when all HDMI connections are off. Whenever you turn on a HDMI source connected through the switch that source will trigger the HDMI connected and the light will turn green. It also comes with a remote in case that does not occur. To me its a no brainer for the Monoprice switch over the others for the cost and service alone. If it doesn't work out for you contact Monoprice and they will issue a RMA for a return. Excellent vendor to do business with.

Thanks for the comment. Can you think of any other quality HDMI switches that would compete with the Monoprice switch? If not, I think I'll pull the trigger and get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts