AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which HDTV card works best for HTPC use? I'd like to use the card to output to my LP340 (800x600 DLP). I'm also planning on using an ATI Radeon card for DVD playback... does the DVI output of the ATI work with the DVI input of the 340?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
One thing to take note of is that the current bunch of HDTV PC cards are based on the Teralogic Janus chipset and only support a few common resolutions. If memory serves, 800x600 is not one of the current resolutions supported by the Janus chipset.

Otherwise, the main differences between the cards are drivers and application software. AccessDTV and the HiPix both support recording as of today. The WinTV-HD is supposed to have HDTV recording sometime in the next week or so. The WinTV-HD also supports video in a window using video overlay while the HiPix requires the use of a VIP cable. Unfortunately, VIP support is somewhat uncertain these days. The HD version of VIP has not be implemented on any known video card, so the HiPix has that one small limitation. I'm not sure how the AccessDTV card handles video in a window.

If the video card has DVI output and the projector has DVI input, they should be compatible. However, the HDTV cards all used standard analog VGA output. They provide video loop through with a built in analog switch. This is only used when the HDTV card is being used with a single monitor and in full screen mode. When using dual monitor support you can have the projector connected directly to the HDTV card using one of the VGA inputs on the projector.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.