AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this will sound like stupid criteria but i am a ghost hunters fan on syfy channel. i have heard some hdtvs do not produce a ton of shadow detail. like for example i have looked into the new jvc model a bit and i found comments about it lacking a ton of shadow detail in the picture. i am wondering out of the 2009 models...which is the best for watching ghost hunters? surely i am not the only fan of the show on here. it is a good gauge for shadow quality.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian02840 /forum/post/17012985

i know this will sound like stupid criteria but i am a ghost hunters fan on syfy channel. i have heard some hdtvs do not produce a ton of shadow detail. like for example i have looked into the new jvc model a bit and i found comments about it lacking a ton of shadow detail in the picture. i am wondering out of the 2009 models...which is the best for watching ghost hunters? surely i am not the only fan of the show on here. it is a good gauge for shadow quality.

never bought a tv just to watch one specific show. samsung, sony, panasonic, vizo are all good choices. depends on what size and budget you have.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

Quote:

Just pick an LCD that has a lot of "ghosting"
Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not the only show i watch but it is one of my favorites. its one of those things my father and i share so itd be nice if the tv i got next did not lose image quality like some LCD do. like i noticed in 2 reviews on cnet they said the toshiba zv650 had great shadow detail but bad blacks...and a knock on the jvc was that it did not produce alot of shadow detail. i would imagine this falls under the image depth criteria when it comes to shadows because it gives a sense of where things are happening relative to the viewer. i just picked ghost hunters because alot of their reveal footage is shadows and thermal images. i just want to make sure one of my favorite shows does not lose image quality due to budget restraints.

·
Banned
783 Posts

Quote:

i know this will sound like stupid criteria

You think so?

That show is one of my guilty pleasures too.

Honestly, it looks better on my old Sony CRT than my Sharp LCD. Haven't seen it on a plasma though; I imagine it would look PDG on a Pioneer though.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I watch that show. Usually in complete dark, lying in bed ...spoooooooky... Oh, on a wall mounted Kuro 4280, Focal Sib XL's, Martin Logan sub, MX950 remote RF'd to a rack in a front porch closet, via FiOs. Seems to work ok..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's a strange show to pick a TV for, considering that most of their dramatic moments are using night vision or flashlights. I suppose shadow detail would be something to go for, and since many mfr's overemphasize and crush their blacks (samsung), a better choice might be sony. Or, you could calibrate. But otherwise, the picture quality of the show will not challenge any tv aside from black depth/detail.

Another thing is motion smoothing/interpolation. The "soap opera effect" may ruin the dramatic effects.

Honestly, I can't stand that show. What bothers me is not only that SciFi/Syfy is allocating time to something that has neither science nor fiction nor science-fiction, but that it's reinforcing superstition and irrationality which is bad for some folks. I've known some people who honestly attributed things in their house to ghosts, and wouldn't look for or accept rational explanations.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:

Here's another advice:

Don't get a plasma (a good choice!) but an expensive LED LCD *with* local dimming instead!

That way you not only get very good contrasts, especially in dark scenes, but also some nice glowing halo effects for free thrown in!

These really work wonders on those spooky ghost appearances and enhance your viewing pleasure.

bye

Benny42

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/17019834

Here's another advice:

Don't get a plasma (a good choice!) but an expensive LED LCD *with* local dimming instead!

That way you not only get very good contrasts, especially in dark scenes, but also some nice glowing halo effects for free thrown in!

These really work wonders on those spooky ghost appearances and enhance your viewing pleasure.

bye

Benny42

Actually, even better --- just get some night vision goggles, break into an abandoned house and wander around. Squatting crackheads already look unnatural, they'll look like freakin' zombies when illuminated with IR.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/17013355

I wish I could help but I bought a set that was optimized for American Idol

I would laugh to high heaven if HDTV manufacturers started coming out with advertisements claiming that their TVs are oprimized for specific TV shows. That would be fracking hilarious! I would want a set optimized for "True Blood"
I know the OP intended this to be a serious question but I still LOL!

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech /forum/post/17021351

Maybe Ectoplasma would be a better choice?

Great idea!

Alas, it's very hard to get (the manufacturer has stopped production), quite expensive and it's energy consumption is out of this world!

Benny42

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.