AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 6000 over a year now and got the ota module when it came out in Dec..Absolutly no problems with it and very happy with it's performance...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Marvin and Mike, do either of you have a problem with the Dish 6000 remote having a mind of its own?

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Since they fixed the blackouts eight or nine months ago, I haven't had any real issues with mine, but then I also have a 16x9 TV. As for the remote control, sometimes I will hit guide and channel up or down and the guide will go away, but it's very infrequent and it could just easily be user error... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Marvin,

You stated that there are only 2 choices but didn't list them. Did I miss something? I'm also interested in which dish I should use.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have two 6000 receivers. I have one OTA tuner as well. In my theatre, I run HD mode, I run SD mode in bedroom because I haven't upgraded my TV there.

I am very happy with these units for the last 3-4 months. I just learned today that the 6000 receiver is NOT compatible with the AccessDTV card.

I am not completely sure of all the technical details of why. AccessDTV tech support said that the 5000 will work with there service. The 6000 outputs the video via its component or VGA port so in essence it takes over bypassing the AccessDTV card since that card has an F type input that expects 8VSB as the input.

I think that the HDTV modulator for the 5000 is hard to get. So….

So I endorse the 6000 except for the recording issues. (Maybe someone that has experience on that could comment)

-Scott

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete J:
Marvin,

You stated that there are only 2 choices but didn't list them. Did I miss something? I'm also interested in which dish I should use.
There is the Dish Network model 6000 and a JVC branded version of the same box. Thus, it is not really a choice.

There was the model 5000 but it is not officially sold anymore . . . but you might be able to find one on eBay or elsewhere on the 'net. For most people, the 6000 is the better choice but if you want to record HDTV and have an HDTV recorder, then you need the model 5000, its add-on HDTV modulator, and another receiver that can receive standard terrestrial ATSC (a three box solution).

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have both the 5000 and the 6000. The 6000 I have had for 6 months now and aside from teh occasional burp when I try to add an HDTV channel it works farely well. I just hooked up my 5000 recently so I can record with my hipix, and I'm happy with it so far.

Bottom line is if u are looking to eventually record HBO and Showtime the 5000 is your only real option (and probably will be for quite some time). Other then that get the 6000.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am considering jumping into satellite TV and was looking at the Dish 6000 setup. But a few days ago I ran into a long thread about how the 6000 receiver doesn't perform as advertised and how Dish Network has ignored all the complaints. Now I wonder if anyone can tell me the best current combination of Dish antenna and after-market receivers to get around the limitations of the 6000.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are only 2 choices, and they are the same thing (except for name). Don't sweat this - go for it. If your too scared, come over and see mine (I live in the North end of Seattle). Chances are you will be quite happy with the jump (and with HDTV).

------------------

All help appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.