AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm buying a 65" Mitsi. this week, either the 65807 or 65857 (can't decide if I want to pay the extra for the better CTR and VGA input...I might use the input depending on which receiver I get).

I am not going to be getting a sat. in the near future, I'm currently happy with my digital cable, that I pay $59 for and get it on all 5 of my TV's.

That said, I want to be able to pickup the OTA HDTV broadcasts from my local stations here in St. Louis. I live about 30 miles west of the downtown area where they all broadcast from and do not expect any reception issues.

So, based on price and quality, which receiver should I be looking at?

I know the RCA is the cheapest of the bunch ($450 at the local Best Buy)...but I'll need a $125 converter to hook it up to my non-RCA HDTV. If I get the 65857, will I still need this add-on converter?

Mitsubishi just came out with their HD400/500. I'm sure this one will cost more, but is it going to give me any extra features (besides not needing a special adapter)? DTV vs DISH doesn't apply here, because I do not plan to purchase a satelitte or their programming. If I do end up switching to a satelitte (if they end up having more HDTV programming than dig. cable in a few years) then I'm sure both Dish and DTV will have similar HDTV offerings by then.

I plan to input to the TV:

-non progressive scan DVD player (component cables) (looks like you need to spend huge $$$ to get a better line doubler than the one that's in the set already)

-Playstation 2 (S-video cable) (for my occassional Madden and baseball fix)

-standard VCR (composite cable) (taping of network sitcoms)

I have a DD/DTS receiver with both the DVD player and PS2 connected by way of optical toslink cables. I'll probably have to ditch the optical cable for the PS2 and use it on the new HDTV receiver (the PS2 games don't have DD support anyway and I never use it as a DVD player).

Thank you in advance for any HDTV receiver recommendations.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Does either Mits have a VGA input? If so then you will not need a converter for the DTC100. Even with the transcoder the DTC100 may be a better value unless you plan to get satellite service soon. Here is my reasoning...One of the best features of the newer STB's is the integrated APG guide. As cool as this is it will not function without a satellite connection. Also be careful buying the DTC100 from a retail store if you do not have access to a satellite to get the latest software revision. You may be better off buying from someone like www.copperbox.com where they will upgrade the software for you before shipping it out. I currently use the Sony HD100 and really like it but without the DirecTV service it may be overkill for you.

Gary

·
Registered
568 Posts
No converter needed for DTC-100 and Mitsubishi... It is RGBHV on both sides. Just get a VGA to RGBHV cable, or like Gary mentioned try the VGA port with the included VGA to VGA cable. (I have the older WS-55805, so I'm not sure if the VGA port works for 1080i and 540p...)

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 65807 lacks the VGA input that the 65857 has.

Price difference is about $500.

I'll lean towards the more expensive 65857, especially if I can use a HDTV receiver right out of the box.

Copperbox is a little overpriced. Plus, I want to buy this locally, so that if I hook everything up and I can't pull in OTA HDTV with an attic antenna, I can box it back up and return it to my store without costing a dime.

My brother has a dish, not sure if it's DTV or Dish network. I'll have to check before my purchase. If he has DTV, then I could take a new DTC100 to his house and download the upgrade.

Is the general consensus that the RCA DTC100 is best receiver for the price? Is it really worth $450 to get OTA HDTV for programming that I don't watch? Other than sports, the only other network TV that I watch is on NBC and Fox...neither of which have a large HDTV offering. Sure, it would be nice to show off the HDTV capabilities to my friends and family, on day 1 of the new set....but I could likely save hundreds of dollars by waiting to get a receiver until the programs that I watch are in HDTV (Friends, ER, Frasier, X-files, Fox NFL, etc). By the time those programs are broadcast in HDTV, that same DTC100 might be down to a reasonable price level. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If I'm correct the VGA port on the 55857 and 55907 are for VGA only. So, if you opt for the DTC-100 you'll need the VGA to RGB cable. I bought mine online for $20, make sure it's shielded. I have the 55807, and the DTC-100 works beautifully with it. I use it for DirecTv and OTA channels. I opted to save the $250 difference between the DTC-100 and new $800 units, and utilize that money to purchase a DVDO Iscan V2 for $500.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would buy the Echostar 6000 and 8-VSB cartridge.

With DISH network you get both Showtime and HBO HDTV channels.

I use the 6000 with my Mitsubishi WS-55805 set.

The HDTV channels are great. Local OTA HDTV is also great when it is broadcast.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot:
I would buy the Echostar 6000 and 8-VSB cartridge.

With DISH network you get both Showtime and HBO HDTV channels.

I use the 6000 with my Mitsubishi WS-55805 set.

The HDTV channels are great. Local OTA HDTV is also great when it is broadcast.

Has Dish fixed the satellite issue on the 6000? He said he was not going to get satellite and use it for only OTA. If Dish hasn't fixed the satellite lock problem then the 6000 will not work for OTA only.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
jdiehl,

Ironically, I live in St. Louis and currently own the same Mitsubishi

WS-65857 that you are interested in. The HDTV picture quality of this TV is stunning on CBS, HBO and The Tonight Show. To get the most out of your HDTV I would definitely advise you to purchase a HDTV receiver from the onset. Regardless of the limited true HDTV programming available, the upconverted picture quality of NTSC programming on the digital channels of the 4 St. Louis affiliates is superior to digital cable or satellite. Also our local FOX affiliate (KTVI) does broadcast some primetime programs in 480p widescreen. The HDTV primetime lineup of KMOV CBS is stunning. I've learned to like several CBS programs I would otherwise not view.

I would also advise you to switch to satellite programming because atleast DIRECTV offers HBO in HDTV and a PPV channel. The picture quality on these channels is so great you may start exclusively watching HBO and CBS. In addition, I beleive that the upconverted picture quality of standard satellite channels using a HDTV receiver (and component inputs on the WS-65857)is superior to using the line or S-video inputs on the Mits with for cable. Although the HDTV picture quality of my Mits rivals the Pioneer Elite, its internal line doubler doesn't perform a great job of upconverting standard channels. Consequently, using an external HDTV receiver to perform upconversion enables you to bypass the Mits line doubler.

I would also advise you to go with the Mitsubishi HD-500 HDTV receiver. I recently sold my RCA DTC-100 and can tell you the Mitsubihsi receiver out-performs the RCA in every respect. Most importantly, my OTA reception of the St. Louis digital channels is superior with few if any dropouts compared to the DTC-100. The integrated program guide of DIRECTV, cable, and OTA channels makes the HD-500 much more user-friendly than the DTC-100.

If you are interested, you are welcome to come over and see my HDTV set-up. I live in the Ladue/Olivette area.

Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On a side note jdiehl, where do you plan on purchasing the WS-65857. I bought mine from Cohen appliance. They matched internet pricing plus shipping which was $400 cheaper than other local retailers I frequented like Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum, Goedekers and The Sound Room. If you are interested in the WS-65807 I'd advise you to go to Sears as they match internet prices.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott:
Has Dish fixed the satellite issue on the 6000? He said he was not going to get satellite and use it for only OTA. If Dish hasn't fixed the satellite lock problem then the 6000 will not work for OTA only.

Sorry, I just replied to the subject and failed to notice the OTA only comments in the full post.

As far as I know one still has to have a dish connected to use the 6000 for OTA.

Sorry.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sorry I keep answering your question incrementally but the VGA input on the WS-65857 only accepts up to 480p resolution. So if you went with the DTC-100 you would still need a $40 breakout cable to connect the VGA output of the DTC-100 to the RGB input of the WS-65857. Also, I would tell you that the upgraded lenses in the WS-65857 is worth the money. I saw both the 65807 and 65857 side-by-side displaying the same HDTV image and the 65857 did show better focus and image depth.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think you should reconsider and switch to dish 6000. Your giving up a lot of HD programming. CBS is great but you might get sick of Touch by an Angel by the summer.

Just kidding T&A fans

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy,

Wow, thanks for all of the detailed info. I might have to take you up on that invite. I live in Ballwin. I went straight to Cohen's first, and their first quoted price on the 65807 was the same as I found online (Crazy Eddie's). Since then, I'm considering the 65857 though......especially if I see yours :)

Goedeker's wouldn't match Cohen's price, which really shocked me. I guess they get enough idiots to pay full price and don't want to sell a unit for $500 off. Sears said they will match Cohen's and I might take advantage of their next 10% off customer appreciation.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know if available in St. Louis, but the FOX 480p 16:9 versions of the X-Files, Dark Angel, etc sure beat the NTSC versions... Also, you might find yourself watching a whole lot more on CBS. I know I do. NBC??? What's that??? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Bert

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I found that the digital versions (480i) of standard definition programs are much better than the analog channel's coverage of the same material. The color is especially better (which is understandable given the way that NTSC incorporates the color signal). I would recommend using a digital receiver for any OTA programming.

I am using the DTC-100.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have 3 questions after reading all these posts.

Doesn't the DTC100 need a satellite connection for software upgrades in order to continue watching OTA ?

Does the Mits need a satellite for any software updates ?

I thought DirecTV required you to connect with their $29/month to get any add ons. So is this $12/month for HBO-HDTV in addition to any other monthly premium ? or is it solo?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

I purchased a used RCA DTC-100 for $385 (from someone on this forum), and it has all of the firmware upgrades. I also purchased a VGA to RCA RGB-HV breakout cable for $29 (copperbox.com). I plan to buy a variety of internal/attic UHF antennas, test them out for HDTV reception and return all of them but the one that works the best for my OTA HDTV channels.

I'm also considering purchasing an oval satellite dish to hook up to the receiver. I would only want to subscribe to HBO on DirectTV so that I can get the HBO HDTV feed for $12/month...with nothing else to subscribe to.

This plan would allow me to drop my $60/month digital cable subscription, the digital cable box, and reduce my cable bill to the regular $33/month for extended basic cable. The HDTV would strictly be used for watching OTA HDTV, HBO HDTV, and DVD movies. The other 4 sets in the house would have their regular analog cable, which I would be very content with (cheap, easy to use, low-tech for the wife).

I can purchase just the oval dish and mount for $45 from http://www.18inch.com

Or, I could get their $79 package, which includes 2 Dual OutPut LNBs and a 4x2 switch with the same oval dish.

Questions:

(1)Do I need the switch if I'm only using the dish for the one set and one channel (HBO)?

(2)Do I need two LNB's and do they need to be dual output (again, I'll only be using the dish for HBO programming)?

(3)What, if any, additional hardware will I need for this type of setup (cables, connecters, etc..)?

Thanks again for your outstanding help and advice guys!

Jonathan Diehl

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jdiehl,

If you are going to get the elliptical dish then I would get the package with the multiswitch. This will allow you to receive the normal HBO channels on the main satellite and the HBOHD channel on the 119 satellite. If all you want is the HBOHD channel then save yourself some money and just buy an 18" dish and point it at the 119 satellite.

Gary

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.