AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I own a home built P4 2.8G with ATI AIW 9800 Pro. I am looking around to find the best HDTV to connect this to, mostly for gaming, that is in my price range. To make this more applicable to everyone, I'll ask my question this way...

What HDTV do you use for your HDPC? (Brand, model, Input used)

Thanks All,

Knight

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I use my HPTC with a Pioneer SD-582; the latter has a DSUB-15 port that eliminates the need for an expensive VGA-to-component converter.

One of my relatives had a Hitachi, but returned it to the store after seeing a demo of Ghost Ship on my HTPC/Pioneer combo. They then bought a 64-inch Elite to replace it.

RD

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
You didn't put Pioneer in the list, which is what I have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sammy 61" DLP via PC (DSUB-15) input from nVidia fx5200 (not ultra) card...

Other setup is 53" Sony (KP 53HS30) via component input using Audio Authority 9A60 transcoder from onboard intel video controller (old cheap one, not sure of model)... (this setup is good for only games and video stuff. Text reading will drive you nutzo)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like Sony or Samsung is the way to go according to the poll. Possibly Mistu. Now I just need to find one that allows relatively easy adjustment for overscan, since I prefer not to use powerstrip.

Thanks for the feedback.

Knight

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Powerstrip is a must for just about all sets listed except fot the Samsung DLP, because you must lock the resolutions to HDTV safe timings. The Samsung DVI port will communicate with your video card & should run at standard PC 1280x720p.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Zenith IQB64W10W

Best regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Powerstrip is a must for just about all sets listed except fot the Samsung DLP, because you must lock the resolutions to HDTV safe timings. The Samsung DVI port will communicate with your video card & should run at standard PC 1280x720p.
Karnis, I want to make sure you didn't make a mistake in this post. The Samsung DLP's have both a DVI and an D-Sub 15pin input. Samsung's website says the D-sub input is for the PC so I'm sure it won't need Powerstrip. But are you also sure that the Samsung DLP's DVI port won't need the HDTV safe timings from Powerstrip? Samsung's website doesn't say that this is for the PC.

Cliff Watson, you seem to be using the Samsung DLP's DVI port, can you verify what Karnis said?

·
Registered
22 Posts
PANASONIC PT-40LC12 w/Radeon 9500 pro. Using VGA, tinkered with component adapter some, but haven't had the chance to explore that option further (plus, vga output is great)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went with a Sony 36" KV36HS510. It's nice but not as sharp as my 21" Viewsonic monitor, but that's to be expected. I'm running around in 864x648 with no overscan. Now I just need to get 1280x1024 to do the same. I'm going to try to use the Service Menu settings to adjust because I have concerns about what powerstrip will do based on what I've read in these forums. My main fear now is that I will adjust the TV so much it'll go blank or something and I won't be able to bring it back.

Knight

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got my HTPC hooked up to my GWII 50" (KF50XBR800). I'm hooked up using DVI. I'm using PS to get 720p. I've got horizontal overscan on my decktop (I don't want any) and just corrected that with PS last night. I'm a very happy camper now.

Nils

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have a Samsung DLP that I use with HTPC via the VGA port. If anyone has gotten a desktop without overscan, please let me know how. I can reduce overscan by adjusting the predefined 1280 X 720 (HDCP derived) choice in PS, but if I push it too far, the TV resets to a PC type black bar resolution.

·
Registered
396 Posts
To me, the Sanyo PLV-70 is perfect match for both HDTV and HTPC. It is wide screen, has DVI, and can do perfect pixel mapping with a HTPC using a Radeon card.

After two TVs and four projectors, I have to say I'm happier with my Sanyo than with any other system I have had.

Just my 2cents.

Larry

·
Registered
151 Posts
HTPC to a Zenith D60WLCD through an ATI 9800 PRO. 1280x720, no Powerstrip and and I'm happy! Just added a new Antec Overture case (painted the front matte black), and the setup looks very non-HTPC now.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mrmark,

Doesn't 1280x720 make things look out of proportion? 1280x1024 is the normal CRT resolution, so doesn't your res make things look too tall? My TV is 4:3 so I'm trying to get a "normal" CRT res to work. If I could view everything in 1280x1024 and play games in 1280x1024, I'd be happy. I don't watch DVD's, so I don't really care about HDTV viewing.

Knight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.