AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pair of Philips SBC HN110 noise canceling headphones http://www.jr.com/philips-sbchn110-n.../PHI_SBCHN110/ and now I'm thinking of returning them. I just don't see that much of a difference with the audio cancellation on or off, it only makes things slightly lower in volume and a slightly higher pitch and boosts the audio. When I was at Best Buy they didn't have many headphones, only a couple of Bose that were on display and another Sony Noise Canceling pair for $100. I want to use these headphones for listening to music through my iPod or computer. One thing is I'm not sure if I need noise canceling for just riding in my car because I didn't notice that much improvement with or without active noise cancellation on. Should I just get a higher quality pair of headphones without noise canceling or get some other with better noise canceling?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh and I know I want something that is isolating, but I think all around ear headphones and most on ear headphones are isolating. Is this one good? http://www.jr.com/bose/pe/BOS_AROUND_SL_EAR/

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeMidnight /forum/post/14330339

One thing is I'm not sure if I need noise canceling for just riding in my car because I didn't notice that much improvement with or without active noise cancellation on. Should I just get a higher quality pair of headphones without noise canceling or get some other with better noise canceling?

In your car ???

I can only hope that I am not a patient in an ambulance and meet you in an intersection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14330361

In your car ???

I can only hope that I am not a patient in an ambulance and meet you in an intersection.

In the occasion that someone else would drive...we do take family trips where we switch off drivers

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
This subject comes up often so let me paste my post from another forum:

Go with one of these $100 models:
denon ah-d1001 (very good well balanced sound, perfect comfort and durability)
equation rp-21 (a bit less treble detail but stronger bass than denon, comfort and durability excellent)
sony mdr-sa1000 (best treble of the group, quacky mids and bass, perfect comfort, flimsy built not durable)
sennheiser hd280 (best isolation by far, uncomfortable, earpads peal and plastic on the headband cracks, sound is cold and detailed with weak bass)

Since you want "noise cancellation" hd280 have better sound than any active noise cansellation headphones, and their passive -27db isolation (they simply seal off your ears from the outside sounds) will work even better at blocking out noise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14331047

This subject comes up often so let me paste my post from another forum:

Go with one of these $100 models:
denon ah-d1001 (very good well balanced sound, perfect comfort and durability)
equation rp-21 (a bit less treble detail but stronger bass than denon, comfort and durability excellent)
sony mdr-sa1000 (best treble of the group, quacky mids and bass, perfect comfort, flimsy built not durable)
sennheiser hd280 (best isolation by far, uncomfortable, earpads peal and plastic on the headband cracks, sound is cold and detailed with weak bass)

Since you want "noise cancellation" hd280 have better sound than any active noise cansellation headphones, and their passive -27db isolation (they simply seal off your ears from the outside sounds) will work even better at blocking out noise.

Thanks a lot! Which of these do you think has the best sound for a very diverse selection of music? I listen to every thing from smooth jazz to the heaviest death metal, electronica,classical, rap, rock, etc. I was going to ask about the HD280 because I had heard it had good isolation, but it seems you don't think they have very good sound. Also, I forgot to say I would go up to about $130 in price if that makes a difference.

EDIT: I also forgot to say I'm probably going to use these for studio monitoring too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use Audio Technica AD500 "open" over the ear headphones.

They are very comfortable, so you can use them for hours on end.

Check out their "closed" over the ear headphones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy /forum/post/14332189

I use Audio Technica AD500 "open" over the ear headphones.

They are very comfortable, so you can use them for hours on end.

Check out their "closed" over the ear headphones.

Thanks I don't think I want any open headphone though, considering I will be using these on highways sometimes (when someone else is driving
) I think I will need something it isolates at least somewhat. Thanks anyway.

Can anyone answer the question I posted before?

And as I said my budget can go up to around $130.

EDIT: How about these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rp.-_-26106392 Do they have isolation or are they open? It doesn't seem to say.

Also keep in mind that I'm going to be listening pretty much only through an iPod or iTunes on my iMac, but I will do some studio work.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The hd555 are pretty good, but I would pick denon d1001 or equation rp-21 over them. HD555 are open and have low isolation, but others dont have much either except for hd280.
Quote:
Which of these do you think has the best sound for a very diverse selection of music?

Denon would have the best sound I think. However hd280 doesnt have a bad sound. They have a very neutral and cold sound, which some people find "boring" for music, but objectively their sound quality is good. The bass is weak but extends very low.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14333002

The hd555 are pretty good, but I would pick denon d1001 or equation rp-21 over them. HD555 are open and have low isolation, but others dont have much either except for hd280.

Denon would have the best sound I think. However hd280 doesnt have a bad sound. They have a very neutral and cold sound, which some people find "boring" for music, but objectively their sound quality is good. The bass is weak but extends very low.

Well, my experience with headphones has never gone higher than $20 Philips behind the head headphones, so I don't think anything will sound amazing to me. Is it worth it to buy a high end set of headphones like the HD555 if I'm mostly going to be listening through my iPod?

Is there any other headphone you would recommend that has good isolation and good sound?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
for best sound, get the denon d1001, it is better than hd555 imo.

for isolation, only the hd280 will give it to you, may be rp-21 will have a little (it has better sound than hd280 imo)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a set of Shure SE110's for those long bus rides. they're sound isolating and filter out like, 90% of the outside noise and have a great range. and, they're 95 bucks~

shure se110k's at BB is where i got them

Good luck

btw: these are ear buds, you squeeze them, and then put them in your ear, then they expand (like ear plugs) and fill up your ear. they come with a bag of different foam cores for different size ears..also, bring a q-tip if you're a waxy guy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamsterman /forum/post/14333308

I got a set of Shure SE110's for those long bus rides. they're sound isolating and filter out like, 90% of the outside noise and have a great range. and, they're 95 bucks~

shure se110k's at BB is where i got them

Good luck

btw: these are ear buds, you squeeze them, and then put them in your ear, then they expand (like ear plugs) and fill up your ear. they come with a bag of different foam cores for different size ears..also, bring a q-tip if you're a waxy guy

Thanks, but I think I'm looking for around the ear phones.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
check out the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 active noise canceling over the ear headphones. A google search on reviews will show they compare well against more expensive NC headphones. Watch for sales from the top on-line retailers, they can be purchased for a good discount when on sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/14334164

check out the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 active noise canceling over the ear headphones. A google search on reviews will show they compare well against more expensive NC headphones. Watch for sales from the top on-line retailers, they can be purchased for a good discount when on sale.

Thanks I'll check them out.

Anyone else have suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just thought, which would have better isolation, something like the Sennheiser HD280s or the Shure SE210s? Which has better isolation, over the ear or in ear? What about sound quality?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I dunno about shures but I know etymotic er4s/er4p have more isolation than hd280, down to -40db for some frequencies. They cost closer to $200 though. And with all canal phones you have to make sure to get a proper seal to get the isolation (and for them to sound good)..Many people are uncomfortable with canal phones. Canal phones also have extremely small "inside your head" soundstage. But er4s, for example, when driven by proper amplification, sounds exceptionally good, a lot more detailed than say hd280 or most other headphones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14337240

I dunno about shures but I know etymotic er4s/er4p have more isolation than hd280, down to -40db for some frequencies. They cost closer to $200 though. And with all canal phones you have to make sure to get a proper seal to get the isolation (and for them to sound good)..Many people are uncomfortable with canal phones. Canal phones also have extremely small "inside your head" soundstage. But er4s, for example, when driven by proper amplification, sounds exceptionally good, a lot more detailed than say hd280 or most other headphones.

For someone who's not experienced with audio, would this sound stage problem be very noticeable?

The HD280 will block out the low rumbling of a car right?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the Etymotics specifically. I own the ER4 and I find them too thin sounding overall, but they are great for hearing the detail in recordings, and analyzing the quality of my equipment.

As far as soundstage, I wouldn't worry too much about that. In ear monitors (IEM) sound a bit more "in your head" but it's not too dramatic if you aren't really picky about that.

You said that you were only interested in around the ear headphones. While I do find that closed circumaural (earcup is around the ear) headphones more comfortable, they do not isolate as well as IEM's. IEM's are basically like earplugs which rely on a very tight airtight seal. If you've ever stuffed foam earplugs deep into your ear, IEM's feel a lot like that. Some hate the feeling.

However, the advantage of IEM's is that they do isolate better than any other type earphone. -20dB for starters which is at least as good as the best Noise cancelling large earphones. And the good ones like Etymotics and Shures (with the foam or triple flange rubber tips) can easily exceed -30dB of isolation which can reduce all but the noisiest bus noise down to a faint background noise. All stage performers that perform live rely on these type of earphones so they don't go deaf on stage and can monitor sound without being drowned out by crowd noise

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It's not as much a "problem" as it is "characteristic"..You will definetely notice the difference in soundstage between fullsize headphones and in-ear ones. Wether or not you will like it I can't say.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts