AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market of replacing a few components in my home theatre with just one. I want to get rid of my DVD player, My DVD-R, my Replay TV and my Time Warner DVR.

I've been looking at the Sony Digitial Living System XL2 (Can't afford XL3 and want to wait until format wars have a projected winner), HP z560, Sony TP1, and Envive E-Center A/V1.

I like the optional multi disc changer of the XL2. I don't like that the XL2 and z560 come with XP and you have to upgrade yourself to Vista. Now I'm no stranger to computers, but because of this, I know that Microsoft upgrades don't normally go smoothly!

The TP1 and Envive are brand new and would come with Vista.

My main reason to get this is to eliminate cables and components and have a DVR that can timeshift my programming. I currently use a TWC SA HD DVR, which is nice and all, but after seeing the Vista DVR demo at CES I'm sold on the interface look alone!

Does anyone have any comments on these "living room pcs" that I've suggested? Or is there another model that I should be looking at?

I want to record HDTV from my Time Warner cable box, I'm assuming I'd have to use one of those nasty IR blasters but I don't really know.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh /forum/post/0

I want to record HDTV from my Time Warner cable box, I'm assuming I'd have to use one of those nasty IR blasters but I don't really know.

Thanks

Greetings,

I doubt you will be able to record any HD from the TWC box. Don't think that feature will be available until cablecard HTPC's are available.

You may be able to record some unencrypted QAM signals from the cableco.

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.