AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So i am very new to this. I've been doing some research and have the room, furniture, surround sound, and screen picked out. My ? is about inputs. I have time warner and want to use my cable box to hook up to a projector to mainly watch sports. I have a ps3 and roku too for gaming and netflix. But for the cable box, time warner rep said none of their boxes have vga or dvi out, only rca,s-video, component, and hdmi. If i get a HD projector that doesn't have HDMI out am i missing out if i hook the projector up to either s-video or RCA? Again i haven't picked a projector yet but the price difference between HDMI projectors and RCA s-video are quite different.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You are DEFINITELY missing out if you use Video or S-Video. Those are the WORST possible choices in terms of image quality. There is NO HD using Video or S-Video. It would be like the difference between a DVD and a videotape.

If you don't choose a projector that has HDMI, then the next best quality will be one that can take Component, usually this is through an adapter connected to the projector's VGA connector.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You said the cable box has Component out, you can use that with an adapter to the VGA input on the projector.

VGA is used for a computer input (usually for business presentation applications) or a Component input. Most people do not have HTPCs and I have never heard of a cable box having VGA out.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Why not buy an HDMI switch and get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit...3769448&sr=8-2

You are making this 1000 times harder than this is.

You have to go WAY OLD to even find DVI anymore. If you find a VGA only (that doesn't even have DVI) projector, it won't work for what you are trying to do anyway.

So, buy a projector with HDMI and/or DVI and forget all about VGA. For you...and your intended purpose, VGA does NOT exist.

Essentially the money you "think you'll save" trying to make VGA work will cost you more than the cost difference of just buying a DVI/HDMI projector in the first place.

Buy the right projector, or don't buy one at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF i got a switch, i guess i could hook my ps3, roku, and HDMI cable box up to DVI. So another ? then. IF HDMI carries the audio, what happens when it goes to a dvi scenario? I'd have to have all 3 audios on a different inputs correct?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Just for clarification, Component to VGA DOES work. Every projector in the sports bars I service (and that's about 90 projectors) are connected this way. The sources are DirecTV boxes, using Component outputs, going through a matrix switcher, to the projectors and using Component to VGA adapters.

However, I did lose sight of the fact that he has multiple sources, so your solution is the best option.

On the audio, they need to go to a sound system. You do not want to rely on the puny speaker and amp built-in to some projectors. And you should also note that many home theater projectors do NOT have a speaker.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/20842126

On the audio, they need to go to a sound system. You do not want to rely on the puny speaker and amp built-in to some projectors. And you should also note that many home theater projectors do NOT have a speaker.

But lets say I have my Roku, PS3, and cable box going to an hdmi switchbox. THen that switchbox using an hdmi to dvi into the projector. Won't I lose my sound? Since the source will want to send the sound via HDMI.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger3 /forum/post/20843160

But lets say I have my Roku, PS3, and cable box going to an hdmi switchbox. THen that switchbox using an hdmi to dvi into the projector. Won't I lose my sound? Since the source will want to send the sound via HDMI.

There is no speaker in the projector.

Normal setup is all the sources plugged into a receiver built for audio and video. The receiver then outputs the video to the projector and audio to the speakers.

If your audio system does not support any video/HDMI then you will need to run audio cables from each source to the receiver or get an HDMI switch/matrix that has an audio out. .. something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Selector-Switc.../dp/B003NLTCNE

I personally do not have a surround sound system, just a nice 2.1 audio system. I have all the components in one cabinet so they all have analog audio out into the receiver and the video is connected to a switch and outputs to the projector. Works just fine for me..

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The "other problem" with worrying about VGA(via a component out)...

The Analog Sunset...is the "latest firmware" your devices get(the Roku and PS3) going to "kill" the component???

The PS3 it could.

The Roku, I doubt it...but it might.

Before you "cheap out"...

Google...

Analog Sunset

and

ICT (Image Constraint Token)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.