AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front-ends are great for eliminating the unnecessary clutter of a normal Windows desktop. They give you complete control over all your media needs with a simple, elegant, user-defined interface.

I am impressed with the quality front-ends that are available. Many of the developers are frequent contributors to this forum. To those: Keep up the AWESOME work!

If I have left anything out in the list, please let me know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You are missing the only *free*, totally customizable frontend - NetRemote.

Count 1 vote for that! (although, I also own ML but don't really use it).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Although I use Talisman Desktop, I find so called "front ends" are becoming more irrelevant for me. I have set up my Pronto so that I can access all functionality from there and thus do not need to select functionality from a front end. Thus currently I use Talisman Desktop merely to hide the Windows Desktop rather than to execute functionality. If I hadn't already bought Talisman I would simply use one of several freeware programs to hide all the icons on the desktop and simply choose an appropriate HTPC-esque background image.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
z.:

I thought about adding NetRemote to the list, but (correct me if I'm wrong), it requires TCP/IP, which makes it more of a client/server app than a front end.

But yes, you could think of NetRemote and Pronto as front-ends.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All of these front ends attempt a similair solution in very very different ways. For me DTP is the way to go. If you are going to be using a remote comuter/touchscreen then its the best option IMHO.

I use myHTPC on my LRPC (living room PC ;-) but would never use it for my HTPC. I use a CRT so I avoid static graphics like the plague so Mainlobby is out. I played with talisman but as far as I could tell there's been no real changes made for quite some time so I shyed away from it.

One product is only superior to the other due to the end users needs. All of the products are written by top notch programmers with great vision, albeit very different visions. If it wasnt for them I'd be double clicking on a WinDVD icon..............

Wes

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hmmmm. I classify MainLobby as a remote control and DVDLObby/CDLobby as frontends. Currently I use myHTPC as my frontend. When I get my ProGear tablet PC, I will use MainLobby as my remote control. I have considered using netremote on my Ipaq and Clio, but reading the setup makes me want to vomit.

Back onto topic, I love myHTPC for it's simplicity, customization, constant evolution, active forums, and price (free:D )

hjackson

PS Don't forget XLobby !

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use LiteStep that a friend cusomized for me. Since it is skinable, he used several of the better skins and reconfig'd to use my more used apps. Best thing about it is that its free, skinable, and you can use video desktop and it still looks likewatching the movie. No clatter, icons, buttons(can hide buttons) and it integrates well with winamp without opening it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk
z.:

I thought about adding NetRemote to the list, but (correct me if I'm wrong), it requires TCP/IP, which makes it more of a client/server app than a front end.

But yes, you could think of NetRemote and Pronto as front-ends.
I see your distinction. You are talking about an application to display on your TV or PJ (possibly to be navigated with a normal remote control), whereas I thought you were talking about control solutions. Incidentally, the latter is possible with NetRemote (it allows any resolution and runs on Win32). It does require some LUA programming, but, IMO, it's fairly minimal. In this setup, it doesn't require TCP/IP and is displayed directly on your screen.

-Zak

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
DTP is great for the $s (still waiting on a few key features, but it's client model makes my Tablet useful). MyHTPC is good (can't beat that price) and getting better every release.

... but I still use the desktop as both still have a ways to go. I don't mind tinkering but until both computer controlled apps (e.g., TheaterTek) and IR equipment (e.g., RP82) are controlable in the same framework from a single device, then I'm still searching for Nirvana.

We need redrat and USB-UIRT (both ways) type of integration or I'm back to using girder and netremote (which should be an item in the Poll).

I don't mind tinkering (too many hours on the pronto), but one of these should be able to isolate some of the complexity to add and control devices in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Tim

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
*other*

I use Icon Hider and BZ Mouse Hider to blank out the desktop. I have a "Home Theater PC" .bmp logo. All HTPC apps are given shortcut keys and accessed with a Pronto Remote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.