AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie; please help me choose an HTPC. Computer is for general home computer tasks and play rip and encode DVDs and bds; I don't do games.

Option 1:

Gateway DX case with AMD phenom 9650 quad core processor, 6 MB of DDR2 memory, Radeon HD3200 integrated video, 750 GB SATA HDD and 300W PS. MOBO seems to be a no name but has 4 empty spots for additional cards.

Option 2:

Gateway DX case with Intel core 2 Q8300 processor, 6MB of DDR3 memory, Intel GMA X4500 integrated video, 1TB sata hdd and 300W PS. MOBO is ACER brand and has the same empty spots for additional cards as option 1.

Which will make a better HTPC with better playback and PQ in your opinion?

Will any of these 2 options allow me to do full gamut and colour correction if required? Or would I need an additional video card; if so which one?

Ditto for full gamma correction?

All answers and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Dell Studio Slim (540s) which uses the Intel DMA X4500 integrated video chipest and it works perfectly with everything that I have thrown at it (720p mkv, xvid, etc.) You might want to look into the Dell Studio Slim as well, I got my from the Dell Outlet

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rdb4133!!

Could anybody comment about the Radeon HD3200 and about the other elements of the computers, please? Even if only in terms of general computer purpose use. Which of the processors is generally faster?

Is it better to have DDR3 memory?

ETC.

TIA.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the hd3200 trumps the x4500

Neither of those machines are particularly upgradeable (graphics) due to 300w psu. If you decide you want better graphics you will also need to upgrade the power supply.

ddr2/3 does not matter for HTPC use

either CPU would be more than ample to play any type of media

·
Registered
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad /forum/post/18158443

the hd3200 trumps the x4500

Neither of those machines are particularly upgradeable (graphics) due to 300w psu. If you decide you want better graphics you will also need to upgrade the power supply.

ddr2/3 does not matter for HTPC use

either CPU would be more than ample to play any type of media

Why does the HD3200 trump the X4500?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.