AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which in ceiling speakers would you recommend for $1500? The speakers will be placed in the living room. 3 in the back for surrounds and another 3 in the front.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow, using in-ceiling speakers for your front mains and center channel? I don't think that will work. Rather than doing that, consider in-walls instead -- the geometry works so much better.

I use a pair of in-ceiling Sonance speakers as my rear surrounds in one of my rooms. They work fine for the application. I personally don't think you need to get too picky with in-ceiling rear surrounds -- my guess is just about anything in the $300/pr range will do adequately.

You should spend the bulk of your money for the fronts. Triad seems to be the preferred in-wall/in-ceiling speakers but they are pricey.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out Proficient Audio. Same R&D as Speakercraft, but components come from China instead of domestic. I am using 6 LCR660's, 3 as fronts placed up high in a soffit over the TV and 3 as rears in the ceiling above and behind the seating area. They are intended for ceiling use, as such they are too deep for a normal wall space (3 1/2") but I had about 18" to work with in the soffit. They also angle the drivers 15-30 degrees so you can direct them towards the seating area. The six ran me about $1600, with back boxes. They roll off at about 60 Hz, so a subwoofer is essential. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.