AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much a newbie. Would be grateful for any insights on an indoor antenna. No particular channel. More the merry.

Pre Transition

Post Transition

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The channels in your area require a VHF + UHF antenna. Start simple with something like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103077

Lay the dipole rods as horizontally as possible.

Extend the dipole rods 36" each for Ch 6.

Extend the dipole rods only 27" each for Ch 12.

Use the loop for all the other channels.

If it doesn't work, return it and try something else. That's all you can do with indoor antennas - keep trying until you find one that works for you and the particular channels you want to receive. And reception is never guaranteed - especially indoors behind walls and windows.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Exactly. A passive, non-amp'd antenna like the one I linked above will usually work better than an amp'd one, if signal strength is strong. Although retailers would rather sell you something more expensive.

If signal is strong, the biggest variables with an indoor antenna are buildings & terrain obstructions, what your home's walls are made of and where in the room you physically place the indoor antenna. Just moving the antenna a foot or so across a table can often greatly improve or destroy indoor reception.

BTW, the antenna I mentioned above also makes a great FM antenna. For FM, just use the two dipoles - the UHF loop is not needed and can be detached.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmb /forum/post/15578480

Thanks!!! Appreciate your help.

If you experiment with rabbit ears, here is a good read.

Some of it is probably too technical but look over the page, they have some practical info at the bottom on getting the most from rabbit ears.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/RabbitEars.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the RadioShack antenna. The quality is awesome for the channels I get which isn't many. I tried different directions. The short cable doesn't give a chance to try putting it in different places. Some channels its like watching a streaming video with constant buffering. Some channels the reception is good at some times and at other times it says program not available.

I brought over my friends Antenna Direct DB2 and I get a lot more channels and the reception is very good. However the quality is not as good as with the RS rabbit ears antenna. Any other antennas with good quality and great reception as well?

·
Registered
965 Posts
If the Radio Shack antenna is beating your friends antenna, I'd consider adding some extra cable to the RS one so that you can have a chance to find the sweet spot for the room it is in. A location height higher than persons who can walk in front of the antenna is probably better, and closer to a window may be better as well.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/15652171

If the Radio Shack antenna is beating your friends antenna, I'd consider adding some extra cable to the RS one so that you can have a chance to find the sweet spot for the room it is in. A location height higher than persons who can walk in front of the antenna is probably better, and closer to a window may be better as well.

Excellent suggestion. If you have a window that faces West, that's the best place to try the antenna.

A " barrel splice " is an easy way to add a longer coax to the rat shack antenna. Keep the extension as short as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts