AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Misubishi RPTV with both YPrPb (labeled 480i/480p) and a 5 cable connection (labeled HDTV 1080i). My first question is which input type is better for connecting my HTPC to be? I am hoping to get an ATI card with the component adapter, but I don't know if this connects to the three wire input or the five. I also don't know if it matters. I like the simplicity and price of the ATI route, but I haven't made any purchases yet, and I want the best picture possible. I also like the fact that from what I've read, I will need to spend some time working with powerstrip to use a DVI to component dongle. I know that I might need to do some tweaking either way, but I think the ATI adapter will be the easier route to get things up and running.

I guess I have actually asked a few questions about which connection route would be best for my particular TV. Any input (no pun intened) would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1. I don't have your set so I can not help you.

2. Do a search for Misubishi.

3. Read the FAQ at the top of the page.

4. Don't take it personally, it may be your thread title, it may be that someone who knows has been on, or it might be that this has been answered so many times that they would rather have someone else respond.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You will not need a transcoder or ATI Dongle to connect your computer's video card to your Mits tv.

First, Go here:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ffnotes_17.htm

and read up on custom resolutions, you will have to have a custom resolution to see a picture on your Mits set..

Then, simply connect the video card (VGA 15p) to to the DTV input (5 wire). You can use either YPrPb or RGBVH setting in the video menu. The TV will actually detect which input and adjust accordingly (that's how my WT46809 works.)

Hardware-wise, really all you need is a VGA to RCA break out cable. The correct cable can be had for a little as $15 up to $100.

Cheers, Tp

·
Registered
846 Posts
It may or may not be as easy as Teeps suggests, but it's worth pointing out that you do have some options. BTW, it might have been useful if you had told us what model Mitsubishi you had.

The HD input on your TV will accept either RGBHV or YPbPr. It may auto-detect, but I had to explicitly set the input type on my WS-65905. I don't recall for sure, but I think this required going into the "initial setup" menu on the TV, which is accessible by entering a magic code on the remote that will vary from model to model. Bottom line on this is if you have trouble getting the HD input on your TV to accept the kind of input you choose, come back here or go to *************** and yell for help.

If you only plan to hook the HTPC to your TV for now, you can get by with pretty much any video card and a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable. Most such cables have BNC connectors on the RGBHV end, so you'll also need 5 BNC to RCA adapters.

If you want to hook multiple devices to the HD input on your TV, you'll need to use a switcher, and in that case, you are probably better off using YPbPr. If you go this route, you'll need a transcoder, or a card such as an ATI that supports component video. You feed the component video into the R, G and B inputs on the TV and leave the H and V inputs unconnected.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should have been less sarcastic this morning. I was just kidding around. I know that you can't always get an immediate response to a question.

I appreciate the input so far, and will read the link recommended by Teeps. As JTAnderson pointed out, I forgot to mention my setup. I have a Mits WS-55807. It is the last year they made it w/o more advanced inputs. Right now my HDTV cable box (Thx TWC Houston) is connected to one YPrPb input, but I have one more, as well as the RGBHV input.

I have a new question. If all I need is a VGA to RGBHV breakout, why do so many people see to be buying the ATI adapter. Is that all that really is?

Thanks guys for your help. I've been reading this site for years, and am finally getting close to taking the plunge. I just don't want to end up building a pc and then never getting it to look good on the tv. I don't think the marriage can handle that one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ar7499,

I can only suppose that most sets do not have the RGBVH input, thats why they need a transcoder, or the ATI dongle. The ATI dongle must convert RGBVH to YPrPb format (something to do with the vertical and horizontal sync.) I may be wrong about that too...

For me, the hardest thing about getting the VGA output from the HTPC to the HD tv, was getting my gForce4 card to accept the desired custom resolution. Once I got that to stick, the rest WAS easy.

PS, I discovered the ability of my Mits WT46809, to detect and switch between RGBVH and YPrPb accidently...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.