AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
I been wanting to buy a intel nuc for my htpc purpose.I know 8th intel nucs are capable of playing 4k and 3d blurays.Can the 10th gen intel nucs do the same.If so which is the best budget intel nuc for HTPC.I wont be using it for games,strictly for movies.I use apple tv and og nvidia shield tv.Still i like htpc more than them.Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gday

The Intel BXNUC10I3FNK4 NUC has HDMI 2.0a and comes with the 10th Gen Intel, which is codenamed Ice Lake. Ice Lake uses version 7 of intel quick sync. Version 8 is much better, adds 12 bit HEVC goodies as well as AV1. Version 8 is in Tiger Lake, dunno when desktop CPUs will be launched there, theres some mobile ones around now.

Generally, embedded GPUs arent very good for keeping up to date with HDMI versions and having good features in their video engines, like Intel Quick Sync which famously had HDMI 1.4 forever and then even just now with Version 7 of quick sync in Ice Lake, theyre still stuffing around with adding missing feature sets for HEVC in 2020

4K isnt the only thing to be concerned with. Resolution yes, is one. So too, is stuff like, at what frame rate? For what compression algorithm? Then, many have different profiles and levels to them as well. Ontop of that, stuff like, colour, bit depth of the colour, colour gamut etcetc. I recommend you get across what each version of Intel Quick Sync can do so you can make more informed choices. You might find your desire to "play 4k" cant be done at all, for example in high frame rate 12 bit AV1 4K by using a NUC.

Also if you go down this path you wont have much GPU power to feed to renderers like MadVR. I'm not saying this is bad, if you just want accelerated decoding go for it. Just be aware, a NUC is problematic for use cases beyond this.

Hope that helps, cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts