AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2.1 Klisch Pro Media setup used with my PC. I have read many threads in this forum about setups. I am considering 3 options and I would like some feedback regarding sound quality and costs. I obviously want the best sound for the lowest cost so I'm not looking to spend more than $200-$300.

I listen to music mostly. I just converted all my IPOD music to lossless and notice an immediate clarity and fullness with existing speakers.

Option 1 - Keep what I have which is not bad because it won't cost me anything and the sound is really not bad considering and I get the .1 in the setup.

Option 2 - Switch to somthing like the M-Audio Studiophile 40. I can get these for $125 to $150 for the pair. I have a Guitar Center hookup so I might be able to get for much less or a better speaker for the same amount.

Option 3 - By a receiver like an HK3480 or 3458 or HK AVR 147. I like the 147 because it has digital in and my sound card has digital out. Not sure how much better the 147 using digital would sound versus the 3480 or 85 using analog connection. Refurbs on Ebay go for around $80 - $150. If I chose this route I could purchase speakers and a sub later. What would be a good inexpensive speaker with an HK receiver?

On the surface going with option 2 would be the cheapest but will the sound of the music running through a receiver and decent speakers be better? If so, then I would need to decide what speakers.

I am not a true audiophile as you can see because I don't want to spend a ton of money but I do like sound quality. I listen to alot of acoustic and film score music so I like clarity and sound separation. Bass is not as important but I don't want a hollow sound either and I ocasionally watch movies.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hard to say if the M-40's would be better than your current set-up. Consider taking your iPod (and connecting cable) to Guitar Center and auditioning a song you know all too well.

I'd be inclined to say stay with Option 1 - to give you time to find gear for Option 3 which lets you optimize your choice of speaker. I would spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers - going with a refurb H/K sounds good to me - my last three receivers have been refurbs from eCost.com ( a couple of Kenwoods and now an Onkyo 805).

That should leave enough money for a decent set of speakers. Newegg has good prices on some Polk speakers including these bookshelf speakers with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290008

·
Registered
9 Posts
M audio audiophile 192 for £87 is even beter than the 40

Polk god choice I have the LSi15

Immaging is amazing but what a pain to drive you need a decent amp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts