AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DVD player has S-video, component, and VGA(15pin like with computer monitors). I'm about to get a projector which supports all 3. I just need to know which is going to get the best picture.

Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
VGA (a form of RGB) will give you the best picture. S-Video separates the luminance (brightness) from the chrominance (color) portions of the video signal. Component further separates the signal into luminance and two luminance-color differential signals, this gives better color rendition. VGA or RGB separates the luminance information for each color onto its own signal line and thus offers the best resolution and color fidelity. The differences as you move up the scale from composite to S-video, to component, to RGB get smaller. Component and RGB are not dramatically different, but RGB is better.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats pretty much what I figured, just wanted to be sure before I actually get one.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mysphyt
VGA (a form of RGB) will give you the best picture. S-Video separates the luminance (brightness) from the chrominance (color) portions of the video signal. Component further separates the signal into luminance and two luminance-color differential signals, this gives better color rendition. VGA or RGB separates the luminance information for each color onto its own signal line and thus offers the best resolution and color fidelity. The differences as you move up the scale from composite to S-video, to component, to RGB get smaller. Component and RGB are not dramatically different, but RGB is better.
However, the signals on DVD are component, so RGB output is derived from that, as are the S- and composite-video outputs (though those are created by combination rather than the other way 'round, as in going to RGB). So to some extent it is just a question of where the conversion is performed, in the player or in the display device. However, it has been pointed out elsewhere that some displays handle RGB inputs better than component, which can make a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.