AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here to learn again,

Which is better to vertical stretch a projector or a video processor eg. DVDO etc. Ive noticed some people have video processors in there gear and have projectors capable of Vertical stretching do they use the Video processors or projectors? Is one better than the other and why?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well i use a video processor (iScan HD+), since my projector doesn't support vertical stretch.

After adding the HD+ to my setup, i noticed a slightly better image quality..there were more details to see (for example: more stars while watching movies like star wars, the fifth element, sunshine and so on).

Beside that, the scaler offers also horizontal squeeze for 1.85, 1.78, 1.66 and 1.33 content. I need that because my lens is fixed in front of the projector.

I can even watch non-anamorphic letterboxed laserdiscs on my 2.37:1 now

My next update is the DVDO Edge processor. Its detail and edge enchancement works really fine!

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Well, it depends on the processor and the projector. If the projector is doing it, then it has it's own VP circuit. Comes down to who's is better. Generally speaking, an external VP will be better than a internal VP, but it will depend on the specifics. In addition to the scaling, you have deinterlacing to consider which similarly, may be better in one or the other depending on their VP hardware. Next is color correction which gets more complicated...

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the JVC RS10 I upgraded from the RS1 because it did not have the Vertical Stretch.(I originally did have the DVDO Edge with the RS1 but there were issues with the The Edge so I had to upgrade projector). Apparently these issues have know been fixed. Between the two the DVDO Edge and the JVC RS10 which would do the better job?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
There is certainly nothing wrong with the V-Strecth in the JVC. I had another play with the DVDO Edge today and in the end, the only thing I like is the animated AR change (pixel by pixel stepping). As far as PQ goes, I would say that there is no improvement with this scaler over the JVC. I am sure other scalers can do a better job, and really, from what I have seen, the processing in the JVC is fine for the $$$.

I certainly like the ease of AR control using a projector Vs another video compontent. Sure the Edge is a one button push, however, as you found there can be some glitches when installing another link in the chain.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/16912753

I have the JVC RS10 I upgraded from the RS1 because it did not have the Vertical Stretch.(I originally did have the DVDO Edge with the RS1 but there were issues with the The Edge so I had to upgrade projector). Apparently these issues have know been fixed. Between the two the DVDO Edge and the JVC RS10 which would do the better job?

Do you still have the edge? If so, maybe you can do your own A/B eval. It's a very interesting question.

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsiu /forum/post/16912878

Do you still have the edge? If so, maybe you can do your own A/B eval. It's a very interesting question.

I ended up getting rid of it ilsiu because at the time is had hd audio issues.

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/16912874

Sure the Edge is a one button push, however, as you found there can be some glitches when installing another link in the chain.

So is the JVC HD 350 if you have a pronto!! Let us know Cavx if you ever get a Pronto and a HD 350 happy to send you the file.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I have a similar question. Ease of use is not a problem as I have one button vstretch on the RS20 with my URC MX900. The question is whether the Oppo BDP-83 or the RS20 does a better job of vertical stretch.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/16913005

So is the JVC HD 350 if you have a pronto!! Let us know Cavx if you ever get a Pronto and a HD 350 happy to send you the file.

That would be cool as the JVC HD350 is high on my upgrade list

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Me, I'm drooling over the soon-to-be-mine 8150 and it's "4:3 Narrow" AR mode for non-pillarboxed 4:3 in a CIH setup (ie a double horizontal squeeze) and the fact that it's got IR codes for (near as I can tell) every RS232 command it supports

Now I just need to figure out how to get some nifty AR logic into my MX880.... And then get the base station installed....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great topic Franin,

I was using a VP with my CIH setup with HE Lens, my PJ can do the verical stretch (HD80) native 1080p. I started out with a VP30 then I sold it and just used the PJ. The PJ only way sucks.... big time, for me that is.... let's get that straight
when viewing images other than 1080i/p my picture image is TOO Small does not fill my screen.... does not use all pixels...
. So, now I'm back to using another VP (DVDO EDGE) for Scaling all sources to 1080p...

Steve

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr /forum/post/16923363

Great topic Franin,

I was using a VP with my CIH setup with HE Lens, my PJ can do the verical stretch (HD80) native 1080p. I started out with a VP30 then I sold it and just used the PJ. The PJ only way sucks.... big time, for me that is.... let's get that straight
when viewing images other than 1080i/p my picture image is TOO Small does not fill my screen.... does not use all pixels...
. So, now I'm back to using another VP (DVDO EDGE) for Scaling all sources to 1080p...

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm still deciding wether to get the edge or keep with my projector. Also is the geometry in stretching better ?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16916738

Me, I'm drooling over the soon-to-be-mine 8150 and it's "4:3 Narrow" AR mode for non-pillarboxed 4:3 in a CIH setup (ie a double horizontal squeeze) and the fact that it's got IR codes for (near as I can tell) every RS232 command it supports

Now I just need to figure out how to get some nifty AR logic into my MX880.... And then get the base station installed....

BD players like Samsung, Panasonic and even the SONY PS3 squeezes 4 x 3 discs. This is how I get around 4 x 3 on my CIH. It upscales the image to 1080P and takes the horixontal pixel count goes up from 720 to 1080. The 1.33x stretch lens (or 1.33x electric strect in 16:9 mode) then gives a picture equivalent to 1440 x 1080.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr /forum/post/16923363

Great topic Franin,

Steve

That doesn't make any sense I don't see how source resolution would have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/16923642

BD players like Samsung, Panasonic and even the SONY PS3 squeezes 4 x 3 discs. This is how I get around 4 x 3 on my CIH. It upscales the image to 1080P and takes the horixontal pixel count goes up from 720 to 1080. The 1.33x stretch lens (or 1.33x electric strect in 16:9 mode) then gives a picture equivalent to 1440 x 1080.

Yeah my Pioneer does it to, but I'm wanting to see how the Gennum handles it when it's fed the full native res vs a squished version. I was actually thinking more for my SageTV extender which will squish too, but it's deinterlacing isn't very good so I prefer to have it output native 480i for DVDs and such.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16923644

That doesn't make any sense I don't see how source resolution would have anything to do with it.

My BenQ has a 'REAL' mode which if allows a 1:1 pixel map. If I connect a DVD player, the 'REAL' mode displays a DVD as a 720 x 576 window boxed image razor sharp in the centre of the sceen. If the 16:9 mode is selected, the BenQ upscales the image to 1920 x 1080 and it looks soft and fuzzy in comparison. I've used a copy of the same title on both BD and DVD to show this benifit of BD to customers that are indecisive about stepping up to BD.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16923644

Hey stranger89, I'm not that technical with all the A/R and pixel mapping and stuff but I know what I am seeing and it does not look good my pj displays each source in it's native state...

Steve

·
Registered
575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/16923665

My BenQ has a 'REAL' mode which if allows a 1:1 pixel map. If I connect a DVD player, the 'REAL' mode displays a DVD as a 720 x 576 window boxed image razor sharp in the centre of the sceen. If the 16:9 mode is selected, the BenQ upscales the image to 1920 x 1080 and it looks soft and fuzzy in comparison. I've used a copy of the same title on both BD and DVD to show this benifit of BD to customers that are indecisive about stepping up to BD.

Hey Mark,

That is what I see.... very sharp image in the middle of the screen even in 720p.. I don't dig it... not
at all. I choose to upscale all images to 1080p.

Steve

1 - 20 of 38 Posts