AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a HD service. which has better PQ Dish or Directv and why. Do you have to puychase a SD package with either or can you get just HD?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
you will want dish sir

pq to me at least and a few others i speak with is way better on e*, i had hdnet on d* for 2 years and watched it go down in quality every month, so out with d* in with e* (me being in nrtc didn't help things)

only want hd programming on d*? no dice

must have minimum total whatever crap, i'm sorry i will not be hosed for the nfl deal they made which is something i couldn't care less about

E* charges 5.00 access fee if you don't subscribe to a regular package, go with e* and get that 6000 deal

·
Registered
614 Posts
Future condiderations. E appears to have HD satellite space now (well in a month) D does not. E's pvr's have problems the directivo's do not.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Do they both have the same channels? Does E* have channels that D* doesn't or vice versa? I currently only have OTA, mainly for Monday night Football.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edpowers
Do they both have the same channels? Does E* have channels that D* doesn't or vice versa?
Although I can't speak for the accuracy, there is a comparison chart available here . For the most part, they are similar, but there are a few differences. DirecTV has the edge when it comes to sports.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Murrell
E* charges 5.00 access fee if you don't subscribe to a regular package, go with e* and get that 6000 deal
I don't believe that deal is accessible to new subscribers?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Comparisions between DishNetwork (E*) and DirectTV (D*) are made here everyday. Some say that there is little or no difference in the PQ between the two systems. I can tell you that E* is the best.

DirectTv suffers from the following problems.

1. Their Dishes are often rusty

2. They lose signal when it rains, snows, is windy, or becomes night.

3. Their STBS are known to cause TVS to catch fire occasionally.

4. Their Dishes are secured to roofs using magnetic tape. Not very secure.

5. The PQ on DirectTV is very snowy, even the HDTV channels.

6. Some D* installers secretly just connect you up to cable TV and call it DirectTV.

7. Some NFL Sunday ticket games are actually pee-wee league games that are tape delayed.

8. The remote controls often shock people so bad that the require medical attention.

9. DirectTV hates children.

DishNetwork is much much better because.

1. Their Dishes are made of rare elements that offer greater PQ.

2. The CEO of Dish holds on air chats near monthly, and he loves children.

3. DishNetwork has 5x as many channels.

4. Every channel on E* has DD5.1 including CNN.

5. Has 7 satellite slots (61.5, 105, 110, 119, 121, 129, 149) compared to D*'s wimpy 3.

6. E*'s STBS are not made by slave laborers.

7. Every other PPV movie is only 50 cents.

8. E* fights for your rights often with lawyers.

9. E* doesn't beat his wife unlike D*.

So I hope this helps you with your choice... and I hope you don't hate children, like D* does.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Never been a dish customer...tried to be last night to get the $199 6000 deal direct through dish. Spent 40 minutes on the phone, talked with 2 supervisors, and as it turns out, the deal is not for NEW customers. I thought they were just closing these units out, which are supposed to be factory refurbs anyways. So, it seems they are "rewarding" only select current customers with the 6000 deal. This was never mentioned on the charlie chat.

And to make matters worse, the first CSR I spoke with could not speak nor understand english. When I asked her to confirm the HD package and the programming that was available, she stumbled, placed me on hold for the 12th time, and proceeded to read a script like "HDTV programming is the latest and best technology available for people with HDTV sets......" I almost busted out laughing. I got a supervisor, and the skinny of it is he said you seem to know more about our programming options and hardware than alot of our employees here. He then acknowledged the promo, said all is good, and xfered me to another sales rep to take my order. Then, she gave me the BS that it is not for new customers even thought I had just clarified it with the supervisor. It goes on and on...Basically, I am not a dish customer, they do not want my business, and are not willing to acknowledge the charlie chat.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
alv,
Quote:
Future condiderations. E appears to have HD satellite space now (well in a month) D does not. E's pvr's have problems the directivo's do not.
I would just note that DirecTV will be launching its DirecTV-7S satellite in the not-to-distant future (looks like January now), which should free up some capacity on 119 for more locals and HDTV. Come February, DirecTV should have capacity for at least another six HDTV channels. So even if Dish Network does add some HDTV that DirecTV doesn't have this year, I would expect DirecTV to get it (or most of it) at around that time.

In the intermediate term, DirecTV may need to deploy a Superdish-type solution (ex: for 99 or 123 degrees) to increase its HDTV capacity beyond 12-15 channels, depending on how fast HD catches on. Of course, with all the different DirecTV HDTV receiver models out there, deploying software support for such a solution could be a bit of a logistical nightmare, but it's probably doable. I think we may see that from them in early 2005, and their 12-15 channels of HD capacity should suffice until then.

Dish Network will have a significant edge in bandwidth (probably through 2004), but it remains to be seen whether there will be enough new HDTV channels for that to even make a difference.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
djdrock,

Dish Network wants all new HDTV customers to have the Superdish, so basically, they don't those customers signing up until November ~1. They don't want to pay for the Dish500 + 61.5/148 install that they are just going to replace (at their cost) in another six weeks.

Around November 1, I suspect there will be promotions on the 811 for new subscribers, like $299 for the 811 + Superdish with a year's commitment to programming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.