AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be better for me to use the amps inside a new 2014 receiver, something in the $3k ranger, or use my 14 years old separate amps?

I have to replace my B&K Reference 70 this summer or fall. I have 3 Bob Carver Sunfire Amps: Sunfire 2 channel Signature, Sunfire 2-channel non signature and Sunfire 5 channel Cinema Grand. These amps run in 2 different modes... 1 which sounds more like Tube sound and the other more solid state. (Voltage and Current modes). All 3 amps I have plenty of space for in the large cabinet they reside in so space in not a consideration. These 3 amps were purchased in 1998. They all work fine. I also just got all new speakers ... BG Radia's in a 7.1 setup and have a separate (4th) amp running the dual subs. I am currently using the amps in solid state mode with RCA connectors since the amps and preamp are so close to each other in the same cabinet.

Have amplifiers improved significantly over the past 15 years? To be better or worse than the built in amps on a receiver?

1) Sunfire Regular version for 2 channel's. (Non Signature):

Sunfire Solid State Power Amplifier - Class AB, 300 watts/ch into 8 Ohms, 600 watts/ch into 4 Ohms, 1200 watts/ch into 2 Ohms, 2400 watts/ch into 1 Ohm (all values rms), frequency response 1 Hz - 80 kHz, balanced and unbalanced inputs, input impedance 470 kOhm, output impedance 0.01 Ohm (voltage source), 1 Ohm (current source), size 6"H x 19"W x 15"D, weight 43 pounds. $2,175.

2) Cinema Grand Specs:

Product Information

Enter the world of musical entertainment with the Cinema grand 200 five. Make the windows shudder with this Cinema 5-channel amp that comes with 400 watts RMS x 5 power output. The filter of this Cinema amp limits the bandwidth to 80 kHz, to give you an enhanced sound quality. Moreover, the frequency response of 1 Hz - 80 kHz on this Cinema 5-channel amp ensures you do not miss a single beat. The 18 HEXFETS in the power supply of this Cinema amp assures an optimum performance. Bring home the Cinema grand 200 five with a 5-channel output and the music is sure to have you rocking.

Product Identifiers

Brand Sunfire

Model Cinema Grand 200 Five

MPN 200FIVE

Key Features

Frequency Response 1 Hz - 80 kHz

Number Of Channels 5

Tech Details

RMS Power per channel at 2 ohms 800 Watt

RMS Power per channel at 4 ohms 400 Watt

RMS Power per channel at 8 ohms 200 Watt

3) Sunfire Signature 2-Channel:

Two Channel Power Amplifier: 600 watts rms/channel into 8 0hms, 20 Hz to 20kHz

Mfr. FR: 1 Hz to 80 kHz

THD: 0.5% at full output

Input Impedance: 470 kOhms

XLR and RCA inputs

Size: 6 1/2"H x 19"W x 15 3/4"D

Weight: 50 Pounds

MSRP: $2,995

·
Registered
44 Posts
No it won't.

In this price range in receivers you mostly get all whistles,connectivities etc,but certainly not much in amp section.

I personally will never buy a receiver again,for 3000.- you can get a decent processor and use your sunfires,no doubt it will sound better then avr.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

No receiver is going to be able to give you as much power as those Sunfire amplifiers can give you.  I personally would probably get a receiver anyway, and use its preamp outputs, as one can often get a receiver for less than the equivalent preamp/processor, due to the economy of scale.  Basically, they make so many more receivers than preamp/processors, that the cost to make it is much lower per unit, and consequently they often effectively pay you to take the amplifiers, whether you want them or not. 

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Of course forthe many who like me who don't use mote than 20 wpc(I run 10-15 dB below reference) more available power is meaningless. Ohm's law prevents the added potential power from being utilized. I do

If I use 20 watts max, those 20 watts won't measure or taste or feel or smell any different to my speakers whether they come from a 50 watt amp or a 5000 watt amp.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz  /t/1521713/which-is-better-receiver...sunfire-amps-14-years-old/0_100#post_24460833

Of course forthe many who like me who don't use mote than 20 wpc(I run 10-15 dB below reference) more available power is meaningless. Ohm's law prevents the added potential power from being utilized. I do

If I use 20 watts max, those 20 watts won't measure or taste or feel or smell any different to my speakers whether they come from a 50 watt amp or a 5000 watt amp.

Yes, it is true, that if he does not use more power than a receiver would put out then he gets no benefit from the extra power that his amplifiers can provide.  But without knowing precisely which speakers he has (BG has had multiple models of "Radia" speakers, some of which have very high power handling capabilities), and without knowing the size of his room or his listening preferences, it is very hard to know what his power requirements are.  As he already has the amplifiers, I would certainly recommend that he keep them until he determines that they are unnecessary (if, that is, they are unnecessary).

If we were talking about someone without separate power amplifiers, I would advise the person to not bother unless it was determined that they were really needed.  As you say, extra power capability does no good if one does not actually use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts