AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for a HTIB my Sony HT SF2300 just gave out, I was wondering which is the better value the Onkyo HTS3400 or the Denon DHT-1312BA? The Denon probably has better speakers but the receiver doesn't have Audyssey's MultEQ.

Their listed at Bestbuy.ca the onkyo is $499 and denon is $549 down from $649

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The speakers of the Denon make up for the "lack" of Audyssey.

Your best bet would be piecing something together for $550.

BIC V1020(frequently under $150)

Denon AVR 1312 ($250)

2 pairs Sony SSB1000($100 for two pairs)

Sony SSCN5000(about $75)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm purchasing my first home theater system and I was wondering how the BIC and Sony combo you mentioned compares to the DHT-1312ba included Boston Acoustic speakers? Is it worth it to purchase the Sony's seperately for about the same price? Are they better quality than the speakers included with the 1312ba? Also now that some time has passed would you recommend anything over either of those setups? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
For $500 both are junk. IMO HTIB territory should be cheaper than you can peice something better together. For $500 you can peice something better together or at least get a good start on something better. However you can get the Onkyo s3400 over at amazon for $250 right now. It does have a passive sub. Which makes it kinda non-upgradable to an extent. But for that price if you just want a cheap HTIB and are ok with starting over later when/if you upgrade to something better, it will probably do the job.

I personally wouldn't bother with a system comprised of only sony bookshelf's. Nor the $500 denon system with plastic boston acoustic speakers. Heck you can get the boston acoustic classic 5.1 system in black for $199.99 right now. Add a receiver and it'd be better than the denon system above as at least the speakers aren't plastic.

Furthermore for $500.00 or a tad over you'd be better off with a 5.0 fluance system, add a 5.1 receiver, and add a cheap dayton sub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts