AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to say I have more Vhs tapes than DVD discs. 1,517 Vhs movies that have not gone to disc yet. Only 1,297 Regions 1, 2, and 4 have made it to DVD disc what a shame, I have buying what genres I like as soon as they come; out since 1997!

Whenever I get a new disc I throw the old vhs tape out in the garbage chute.

1. Who else is in this position?

2. Why are discs so slow to come out?

·
Registered
326 Posts
As much as i love movies.... i just never saw the appeal of collecting VHS... it was too obviously not going to last (both physically and as a format). I never owned more than a dozen at any one time. Currently, I think I own 3. YeeHaw.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I first seen a Video Tape recorder in 1978

my first recorder was a Sanyo Beta, when I seen the popularity of new then VHS. I bought my first NEC Hi-Fi VCR in 1984, I dubbed all of my beta movies over to VHS.

In 1985 I was disabled for life and knew that my passion for movies would be a way to pass the time. I had most pay channels

and was taken to a pawn shop were I picked up hundreds of titles.

I bought my first DVD player 1997 I bought my first 300 DVD changer by Sony in 1999 CX-850D, year 2000 I bought CX-860 300 + 1

and a CX-875 Progressive Changer in November of of 2002. As specialty players a Toshiba SD-4800 for disapearing zoom icon, and a JVC XVS500BK with ICOS mod for regions 1-6 with manual switching.

To enjoy my DVD discs better I bought a RCA F-38310 W/S HDTV in May of 2001. I am throughly convinced DVD disc is the way to collect and view wide screen OAR, I plan to continue buying new discs. When and if Blue laser HD-DVD comes I will consider starting to buy a player and to start buying blue Laser discs. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased my first VHS player when hi-fi first came out.= early 80's. I have since collected 1 prerecorded VHS tape (Pulp Fiction) I have had a DVD player for a fraction of that time, 3 1/2 years and have at least 150 DVDs's.

Regards

Emmett

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Hi, Bud!

Have collected over 700 DVDs so far...and counting. But would prefer seeing D-Theater (D-VHS) increase movie title availability so I can watch more films on High-Def!

Anyway, still got a sizable LD collection, meagerly followed by Super-BETA tapes (superior to VHS), then even more meagerly followed by a very few pre-recorded VHS tapes (mostly concerts and the like), although have a ton of other materials on plain VHS... :D

-THTS

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have several VHS titles. The last one I bought was an instructional video about installing Pergo flooring. The kid stuff was given to relatives. I still have about 5 movies on VHS.

Serious collecting of movies started with DVDs for me a couple of years ago. When I started out with DVDs, I rented them. During that time I discovered the difference between P&S and OAR. When renting in OAR became harder and harder to do, I just started buying movies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Being a former Joe six-pack, I do have probably 25 or 30 prerecorded VHS. Of course I have tons of self recorded stuff. Been into DVD for about 2 years and have over 50 titles and growing fast.

It may be YEARS before I could go to HD DVD's, as I am still waiting for an HDTV PVR. Financial considerations, you know.

Anagram city.

Rick

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It never occured to me to ever collect any VHS tapes. If you record the same show off of the tv channel you basically have the exact same product.

But DVD is much more value added in my opinion. Many times there are special features showing behind the scenes footage as well as deleted scene and commentary. Not to mention that the video quality is much better than can be received over standard analog channels. Then too there is usually the insert in the case that many times covers interesting facts about the movie.

So far, I have collected around 100 dvd's and still buying them.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Frank you old devil! I should have known you had some beta somehere. I too have beta! :D

Big wup :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have thousands of beta tapes, many recorded and never watched since, or never watched at all. Having fallen into this anal retentive trap once, I am resisting doing it again, semi-successfully.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood:

"Frank you old devil! I should have known you had some beta somehere. I too have beta! :D "

Yeah...have many left, but the Sony machine now refuses to give me a picture, though the Stereo Hi-Fi sound from the Super-Beta machine plays fine. Need another SB deck, so can anyone direct me to one that still works and that may be gotten fairly cheap? There still is some video material I won't mind revisiting now and then... ;) :D :p

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent the last 20 minutes over at EZEdvd in Australia Region 4, I ordered "The Entity" with Barbara Hershey. 2.35:1 with Dolby 4.0 Surround. I was hoping I could find some more DVD that are not available in the states like "The Unholy"(Ben Cross), "Jaws 3, which was released as a 3D, I wish they had the process they had when that was out. What we had that in the 20th century is not even available today it was anaglyphic, it reached out of the screen right at you about 1 foot away, you had to have been there to realize the depth! When I get that disc I can throw away another Vhs tape woo hoo.:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think our VHS collection is higher than our DVD. If you look at My DVD Collection DVD Profiler Page, you'll see what I have in DVD. I no longer WATCH what I have on VHS because it's Pan and Scan and I plan on getting them later on DVD in WIDESCREEN. The only Widescreen VHS tape we have is Hell Comes to Frogtown. But, there's a problem with that tape. If an object like a car goes -------------->>> THAT way. The sound goes

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Frank:

Having bought used betas only to find there was always something wrong, I finally found someone who could fix them and then stay fixed. Search on "Absolute Beta'" in Remington, VA.

I'm moving to your state!

Beware

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just found out we have the 2 VHS set of The Sound of Music. I popped it in my VCR to check it out. Fullscreen, as I expected. And I noticed at the beginning, when the lady is singing The Sound of Music and had her arms spread WAY out, HER HANDS WERE CHOPPED OFF! I go, OMG, that's pathetic. I rewind it, put it back in the case, and put it back where it was. So, I'll now have to add that to my DVD Wish List. From what I listened to, the sound was pretty good. I bet the DVD is even better.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood"

"Having bought used betas only to find there was always something wrong, I finally found someone who could fix them and then stay fixed. Search on "Absolute Beta'" in Remington, VA."

Thanks, I'll be checking with them...

"I'm moving to your state!"

What part of Califa are you moving to?

"Beware"

Duly noted!... :D

-THTS

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Which is higher your DVD disc or Vhs collection?
I don't let my collections get high. But I have a drink every now and then... :D

Seriously, I never collected VHS- I have maybe 15 tapes, not counting a bunch of concert boots. But I got into DVD early and I'm right under 600...

Fred

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
What part of Califa are you moving to?

Laguna Niguel! I'll be too poor from paying rent to build a DVD collection. Or to build a big one, at any rate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I managed to keep my VHS collection very low until my twin kids were born. Then my wife started to buy tapes like crazy to entertain the little ones (Baby Einstein, Sesame street etc...). When I asked her to refrain her craving because it was taking valuable storage space that could be used for DVD's :D; she argued that we didn't have a DVD player in the babies room (TV-VCR combo). I told her that we could buy a new one; she replied that tapes are always good to have when we travel :( .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.