AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new receiver for my hometheater. My approved budget is $1k-$1.5k. Please, anyone suggest a list of the receivers which is worth the bang for the buck. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What features are important to you, best upconversion, best sound, etc. There's always the law of diminishing returns. You might get better upconversion and more channels, but unless you're running 9.1 you could probably stay on the lower end of your budget. You're probably best off buying something decent with pre-outs, and later on adding separate amps. When receiver technology changes (which it always does), you swap out the receiver and keep the amps.

Anything from Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz/Denon in that price range is pretty decent. If you aren't planning to go 3D for a long time, then consider an older model which can be had at significant discounts ... in most cases, the only major difference is that the 2009 models dont' support HDMI 1.4 (required for 3D).

If you care more about audio, again look at separates (Emotiva has some very affordable amps), or look at some higher end brands such as Anthem or Rotel.

I'd suggest making a list of the features you want, then pick out a receiver. I'm better you can come in far under budget, and then use the money for amps, or better speakers, or towards a better display, all which may have a bigger impact than getting a high end receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It's a tight market, so I don't think you will find most models are pretty comparable in the same price range.

It's getting to where features are not all that different at that price level either.

I think the Yamaha Aventage line with the three year warranty is worth look at. But there's others as well.

Addressing the Aventage line, the RX-A700 actually seems to be a pretty good deal, without a lot of markup for features you may never use. It's power is mid range power, which is expected at a mid range price. The RX-A1000 definitely steps up the power and adds a lot of features you may want, that's up to you. The 2000 and 3000 are perhaps not as good of value as the 1000 unless you really want the HQV chip processing and such.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19572977

It's a tight market, so I don't think you will find most models are pretty comparable in the same price range.

It's getting to where features are not all that different at that price level either.

I think the Yamaha Aventage line with the three year warranty is worth look at. But there's others as well.

Addressing the Aventage line, the RX-A700 actually seems to be a pretty good deal, without a lot of markup for features you may never use. It's power is mid range power, which is expected at a mid range price. The RX-A1000 definitely steps up the power and adds a lot of features you may want, that's up to you. The 2000 and 3000 are perhaps not as good of value as the 1000 unless you really want the HQV chip processing and such.

The A700 appears to be a clone of the 667, with Yamaha claiming slightly better build quality and components along with the longer warranty. Curiously their weights and specs are nearly identical.

At under $500 the 667 is a bargain, the 867 doesn't seem to add much except dual HDMI out, and the A1000 appears to have a beefier amp section.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/19573081

The A700 appears to be a clone of the 667, with Yamaha claiming slightly better build quality and components along with the longer warranty. Curiously their weights and specs are nearly identical.

At under $500 the 667 is a bargain, the 867 doesn't seem to add much except dual HDMI out, and the A1000 appears to have a beefier amp section.

That would not totally surprise me, if the A700 an the 667 are more or less the same thing internally.

I did wonder if different teams worked on the x67 and Aventage lines, which could have resulted in differences. Be interesting to see the service manual.

Note that the Aventage model has that amazing 5th foot which no doubt means it sounds dramatically better. The fifth foot clearly stabilizes the stereo image

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
If you can wait a little bit, the Anthem MRX 300 will be retailing at that price point with great amp and Anthem Room Correction. At that price it will be hard to beat.

John

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Yamaha 867 does add networking that is not available on the 667 or the Aventage line until you get to the A1000. By the way the A1000 also comes in at a higher price. The 867 does consider a look IMO.

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMO just about any receiver, regardless of brand, will work as good as any other receiver in a similar price range. This really has to be a feature based decision and you have yet to answer the reply to list what features are important to you. But even then, with small differences, anything around a grand will most likely have almost the exact same features as anything else for a grand. Shop around and buy what looks good to you. Some of us love Yamaha. Some love Denon. Some love Onkyo. Some love HK. Some think the off brand niche players like Parasound, Anthem, etc are the best. Actually every single one of them is right. They are all great. Go look, touch, and listen. Then buy what you become emotionally connnect to with the security that it is as good as anything else in its price range.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19574203

The Yamaha 867 does add networking that is not available on the 667 or the Aventage line until you get to the A1000. By the way the A1000 also comes in at a higher price. The 867 does consider a look IMO.

It's significantly more than the 667. I can add an external network device for about the same price, and generally will have more flexibility with the stand-alone device.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic /forum/post/19574306

IMO just about any receiver, regardless of brand, will work as good as any other receiver in a similar price range. This really has to be a feature based decision and you have yet to answer the reply to list what features are important to you. But even then, with small differences, anything around a grand will most likely have almost the exact same features as anything else for a grand. Shop around and buy what looks good to you. Some of us love Yamaha. Some love Denon. Some love Onkyo. Some love HK. Some think the off brand niche players like Parasound, Anthem, etc are the best. Actually every single one of them is right. They are all great. Go look, touch, and listen. Then buy what you become emotionally connnect to with the security that it is as good as anything else in its price range.

Good advice, go play with them and pick the one you like best. For current models at a given price point, most are decent, especially as you go up the line of most brands and fewer compromises are being made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot for your all advices. I am a kind of in the middle of the woods after review whole bunch of threads
. I am not in hurry right now, I don't care about 3D next 5 years, and I will use it 90% on movies. I really want to have a shot when I saw some very good deals on Denon 4310, Yamaha V1900 but I do not have much experiences on these stuff. This is a first expensive receiver I am going to buy so I am kind of nervous if I' ll get a lemon. Thanks again for your time & concern.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No one mentioned Pioneer Elite.

The VSX-33 is well in the budget, and the list for the SC-35 is just over.

Are the Pio's out of favor?

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz2pp /forum/post/19572918

I am looking for a new receiver for my hometheater. My approved budget is $1k-$1.5k. Please, anyone suggest a list of the receivers which is worth the bang for the buck. Thanks alot.

Have heard good reports on the Yamaha RX-A2000-3000 series AVR's. On several occasions this year, as noted in a different thread, Newegg has run a promo with a 500 dollar gift card.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan /forum/post/19618124

$500-$600

Ooh...having an SC-25 as I do, that would be pretty hard to beat. But I also own the recently released Anthem MRX-700, so I agree that when the MRX-300 comes out there may be nothing that comes close to it for around $1,000. The ARC implementation in the MRX receiver, combined with the quality of everything else it offers, will likely make a greater contribution to good sound than anything else in that price range.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You didn't mention what type of speakers you have.

If you have cheap speakers, buy the lowest cost AVR you can with the features you want and put some of the left over cash twords better speakers.

Folks are right, AVRs are so similar in SQ now that Speakers are going play a bigger role in your enjoyment.

Test,

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz /forum/post/19618205

ok, i can get a denon 4310 (last year model) or a sc27 (last year model) or a denon 3311 for 800.00, which is the best deal? network is important to me.

I had a similar question as you and have determined I will go with the 3311 due to numerous issues reported with the Network cards in the XX10 models. It is my understanding that there are alot fewer issues with the XX11 models. I have not pulled the trigger yet however because I am waiting to see if the price drops down to the upper $700's again. Prior to BF I believe folks on here mentioned they purchased the 3311 for around $770 from Electonics Expo. I doubt they are an autherized dealer but sometimes you can get other dealers like OneCall or ABT to match another online dealers price. Or at least approach that price.

But as the other person stated, it also depends on your speakers. I plan to put my receiver up in my bedroom setup where I have my old Polks (RT1000, CSXXX and FX500's) which were pretty descent in my old setup in my living room with an Onkyo 797.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.