AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Moocat,

Take a look at the projector shootout to see some of the things you should be concerned about. You need to provide much more info besides how far you are from a screen: is your room light controlled? What are you going to watch? How big a screen do you want? What's your budget? etc.

Honcho

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honcho,

Thank you! I am sorry for do not narrow the options!

Well, screen size= 100", Maximum Price = 5,500, screen door ? just little or nothing!, rainbow effect ( I am unlucky person, I saw with Seleco 200 without know what was it), no noise fan (less than 40dB), I can control the ambient light.

Thanks again,

MoocaT

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Moocat,

I have not seen anything yet that even comes close to your demands. There is a certain give and take with all of these machines, you get one or two good things and give up something else. DILA provides the best picture that I have seen in the digital world but needs a great scaler, sounds awful and gives the air conditioner a run for it's BTU's. You would spend three times your target, well, almost, when you install the thing with a scaler, mounting bracket,wires and screen. Good luck. I would like to do a beachhouse theater with all that you ask for 5 or 6K but I don't expect it in my lifetime. Art

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Moocat, I'd recommend Sanyo PLV-60 (16:9 XGA LCD native panels for $4700) or Sanyo XP21N (4:3 XGA LCD panel but 2500 lumens!!! for 5-6K). Unless you go with the new generation DLP's rainbows are common. Newer DLP's tend to run near 10K. Even if you can't satisfy ALL the criteria, I'd compromise and get FP's as their advantages and enjoyments are above their disappointments. Trust me as I have a relatively cheap Sony VPL-CX1 with 550 lumens XGA 4:3 LCD and I really enjoy it. Way better than any small TVs :) It's kinda like buying a car; there are ALWAYS better and more expensive cars but it's still better to have a "nice" car than none or a "junker". Good luck with your choice.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
950 Posts
MoocaT, I have an LT150, and I sit about 11-12 back, projecting onto a 60x80 Da-lite Hi Gain screen.

The picture is quite nice at this distance using DVD's, but with DSS, the compression artifacts are quite noticeable. I should mention that the DSS artifacts are station dependent. Some stations seem to give a smoother picture, while others are so compressed as to make them unwatchable to me. All this, even though I'm using a Crystalimage external scaler.

The DVD material also varies depending on the quality of the transfer, but the DVD picture for the most part is really stunning!!

I haven't seen Hi Def TV yet 'cause I'm waiting for the Echostar model # 921 Hi Def PVR. The ability to record HD is worth the wait for me. I'm sure there will be more info forthcoming from others using different pj's, and this should help you make a more informed choice.

So, which PJ is the best??.... If you can, preview the pj's that interest you the most, and from there, go with what "YOUR" eyes tell "YOU" which is the best PJ for the money you have to spend.

My PJ, screen, masking, and scaler cost me just under $5k.

You may want to go with an HTPC which could reduce your final $$$ cost, but they are a little more involved to use. They're not such a plug in and play device, but there are advocates in this forum who swear by them!

For the money I've spent in 15 years of HT, this is the best so far. You could spend a little more or less. Good luck in your quest.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Art Lloyd,

Thank you for your information. DILA(the best FP solution) is very expensive and I agree.

Huey,

Yeah, I am looking to PLV-60 and 13HD ( Studio Exp.) as a potential FP. I liked the idea of 16x9 LCD. I have been checking the differences between them but it is very difficult to pay more for firmware (13HD, I am not sure how good it is this firmware vs the PLV-60) and a good post-sale support.

3.1415926 pi,

Thank you and I was looking to use the LT-150 too. I did not like the problem about the noise that this forum has been informed. I didn't have a chance to see it. I need to ask the AVS forum where in Bay Area I can find them. You are right about DSS and I can see those effects over my 32" Sony WEGA.

Gents,

I just want to let you know I have the ZX9000 (Sharp DLP) near to $ 6,500. This is close to the LCDs PLV-60 ($4,800) and 13HD. I saw the Sharp 9000 and I didn't see the rainbow effect. However, I have another question: with my view distance of 11 ft, should I consider a 42" Plasma ( $4,800 - Panny) ? there is no cost for the screen and the lamp!

Thanks again!

MoocaT

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The LT 150 would seem to fit the bill. I've had a bunch of projectors, and the image is great. The noise is not a problem (IMHO) unless you do a ceiling mount and it is upside down.

In my situation, it is quieter than most.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Photos

Today's Equipment List

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Plasma is nice except for 3 things: size (42" vs. >80"), view angle (best straight and dimmer from sides), and dead pixels (look at your laptop). As they say, size does matter in HT :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
AS Obi-Wan said.. "There is another"....

CRT.

It easily meets the image standard, but not the noise and size standards. Oh well. Life is not a dream, and reality intrudes. There's a big-ass sticker on the backside of life, that you see when it has run you down, and it retreats in the distance. It says, "No Free Rides".

Make your choices.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 09-13-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.