AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a HDTV primarily for the Xbox 360, however I plan on using it for movies and TV as well. I have recently found a Samsung 26" dynaflat HDTV for only 500$, however I have heard they have power supply issues? And I am hesistant to rush into anything without knowing whether it is worth the price or is there a better option or brand. I also am wondering will prices drop after thanksgiving like I have heard. What would you guys suggest as the best value for a 26 inch CRT HDTV and when is the best time to buy?


Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I don't know how you feel about Sanyo but I went to Best Buy and ran my XBOX on 7 different 30" widescreen HDTVs and only TWO performed better than my Sanyo HT30744. The televisions that outperformed mine were four and five hundred more. If you can check out Walmart (you have to call all your Walmarts because they are not made any more) to see if they still have any left, the price is $549 with 2 component inputs, 2 s-video inputs, an HDMI input, built in tuner and looks damn good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyJackalope
I have recently found a Samsung 26" dynaflat HDTV for only 500$, however I have heard they have power supply issues?


Thanks for any help.
The power supply issues were a problem long ago. The rap continues to dog Samsung, but this got resolved quite some time ago.


The Samsung 26" DynaFlat set is a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
The insignia at BB is real cheap and looks pretty good to me. It also has the built in ATSC tuner and QAM tuner. The only thing it is missing is a hdmi or dvi port, but the XBOX 360 doesnt have an hdmi port anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyJackalope
I am in the market for a HDTV primarily for the Xbox 360, however I plan on using it for movies and TV as well. I have recently found a Samsung 26" dynaflat HDTV for only 500$, however I have heard they have power supply issues? And I am hesistant to rush into anything without knowing whether it is worth the price or is there a better option or brand. I also am wondering will prices drop after thanksgiving like I have heard. What would you guys suggest as the best value for a 26 inch CRT HDTV and when is the best time to buy?


Thanks for any help.
The price drop will mainly be with the newer technologies like LCDS/Plasmas.. CRT HDTV's are all ready hitting rock bottom.. I have the 26inch Samsung.. It's a very good HDTV.. But I'm upgrading to a 30inch-42inch in Dec.. I want a better gaming/movie experience
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbuckeye
The insignia at BB is real cheap and looks pretty good to me. It also has the built in ATSC tuner and QAM tuner. The only thing it is missing is a hdmi or dvi port, but the XBOX 360 doesnt have an hdmi port anyway.
The Insigna (Orion) TV isn't bad at all.. I seen the Widescreen 26inch running a DVD, & the PQ was comparable to my Samsung..Although, I have a better DVD player, so the image is better.. For 500.00 or less, I'd say it's a good deal..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
The Insigna (Orion) TV isn't bad at all.. I seen the Widescreen 26inch running a DVD, & the PQ was comparable to my Samsung..Although, I have a better DVD player, so the image is better.. For 500.00 or less, I'd say it's a good deal..
The Insignia 26" also has the same exact on-screen-display and menu look of the Toshiba HF85 models.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Only $449.99 at Best Buy. Wow. Sometimes Best Buy have their TVs on-sale, so we can see it go down to $429.99. The remote control looks the same from several Toshiba 27" TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My next question; where is the best place to buy a HDTV. Now I won't be buying anything till around November, so do any stores have clearences at any specific time or good deals? BTW I have seen the Insignia one and it's a really low price, I am concerned about it not being "name brand" how much of a concern is that? BTW thanks for helping a display noob like me ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
The Insignia 26" widescreen is now $380 at Bestbuy for those interested.


I would still like to know a little more about it if anyone has any hands on time with it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken
The Insignia 26" widescreen is now $380 at Bestbuy for those interested.


I would still like to know a little more about it if anyone has any hands on time with it.
God jesus, why is Orion making the TVs so dirt-cheap lately? Anyway, this is definitely a good price and very affordable. It performs very similar to the Toshiba 26HF85 minus bottom speakers, HDMI input, and some settings.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken
The Insignia 26" widescreen is now $380 at Bestbuy for those interested.


I would still like to know a little more about it if anyone has any hands on time with it.
This is definitely a very good price and very affordable for HDTV starters. It performs very similar to the Toshiba 26HF85 minus bottom speakers, HDMI input, and some settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
God jesus, why is Orion making the TVs so dirt-cheap lately?.
Two issues:


1) your reference is not appropriate

2) stop obsessing about Orion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
waltchan,


Just curious. I've been reading this thread for almost a year, and with all your banter and expertise, when are you going to just buy something and be over with it? You've done nothing but badmouth Orion. Now I don't know if they deserve it or not. So you talked about some Toshiba LCD you bought and didn't like. Then when Costco came out with their 26HF15, you said you were getting one. You said you could always take it back if it was bad. You said you couldn't fit the larger old Toshiba made screens into your setup. You talked every which way about the 26HF15. But it seems you didn't pull the trigger there.


Now we have a poster mentioning the 34HFX84 that have been leftover at Crutchfield B&M stores. You even started another thread on it. You say "I want one of those." Did your needs change? These sets have been available for what, the past year? All of a sudden you want one now. Then go get one and move on.


I am just trying to figure out why you voluminously post here with nothing to do but post, post, post. Just go buy something. We know you don't like Orion. Please go and purchase any other brand that will make you happy.


This is a great forum for sharing information. We got your info about Toshiba/Orion. Thank you for that information. I know many people will find that helpful. However, I've never seen someone so negative on every post someone submits detailing how happy they are with their Tosh 30HF85, 34HF85, or 30HF84, or 26HF15, etc, etc, etc. Its getting old buddy.


Sorry to the board, but its just getting real old...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotlandcap
You've done nothing but badmouth Orion.
Absolutely not true. Read all of my old posts again. And thanks for sharing your opinion about me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Walter was just like me, just doing his homework looking for the perfect displsy for his needs.With so many display types and sizes and brands it can get frustrating i know, i have been there.


But for you Scotlandcap to put words in walters mouth is uncalled for, you are new so i'll take that into account of your behavior.Also i f you don't want to hear him talk about tv's, why are you posting in a tv forum?


It's funny how someone new just comes to the boards then thinks they know everybody.Walter is just trying to help people out beforte they make the mistake of getting a fake toshiba made by orion.If it was'nt for Walter i would have never knew my Toshiba 24" flatscreen tv was made by ORION co.


By the way walter what asian ethnicity are you:) Because i'm asian as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
Walter was just like me, just doing his homework looking for the perfect displsy for his needs.With so many display types and sizes and brands it can get frustrating i know, i have been there.


But for you Scotlandcap to put words in walters mouth is uncalled for, you are new so i'll take that into account of your behavior.Also i f you don't want to hear him talk about tv's, why are you posting in a tv forum?


It's funny how someone new just comes to the boards then thinks they know everybody.Walter is just trying to help people out beforte they make the mistake of getting a fake toshiba made by orion.If it was'nt for Walter i would have never knew my Toshiba 24" flatscreen tv was made by ORION co.


By the way walter what asian ethnicity are you:) Because i'm asian as well.
Thanks to CrocHunter for backing me up. Let's not try to create another bashing waltchan thread again. If anybody has something to complain about me or you feel that I'm not doing a good job in this forum, please send a message to me privately. Thank you.


Now, lets's go back on topic. In my opinion, I think the best 26" widescreen CRT TV out there right now is the Panasonic CT-26WX15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,274 Posts
It's business... get over it!


Philips/Magnavox

LG/Zenith

Terk/Winegard

and so on....


And... why not PM Walter (or anyone else) about ethnicity? (or use a real picture as an avatar and guess from there).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Ratman,lol why are you posting?


If walters posts bother you just simply ignore them and don't post such ridicule like "get over it", "Let's move on", "Big Deal".

Quote:
And... why not PM Walter (or anyone else) about ethnicity? (or use a real picture as an avatar and guess from there).

Report Post
It's an Asian thing, you would'nt know;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
to the above poster....^^As for the best 26" i would probably say panasonic is your best bet, it had very good PQ from the ones i've seen at the store.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top