AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found both of these open boxed at a local shop and was wondering what the consensus is on which is the better player. I'll be running it through a H/K AVR-254 (HDMI 1.2) to a Samsung HL-S6187 (DLP). I may also hook it up to a Sharp 46D82 LCD (directly) and routing audio to an old Sony ES receiver (opt or 5.1 analog in).

I have about 380 SD DVD's that I'll be watching in addition to the titles in my sig. I appreciate any feedback I can get.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm sure you will find folks who will support the BH200 over the BD-UP500 and vise versa. I own both players, and both are great with each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

I like the 5000 for its build quality and the slightly better pic quality in both HD playback and its for its edge in upcoversion capabilities. This said, both offer great images all around.

The BH200 has the edge when it comes to its EARLY (April and prior firmware) support for BD-R and AVCHD playback. This is something I sure wish the Sammy 5000 had. This feature is important to me since I burn a lot of HD projects to disc, and the BH200 plays them perfectly. I did a test today and burned 64 mins. of Blu-ray content to a dual-layer DVD+R and it played both layers without a video or audio hick-up.

Since both units are so good, it's really a hard call. If you can get a killer deal you might want to get both 'cause once they're gone . . . they're gone . . . forever.

Hope this helps.

Ian

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Well, the kicker is you're going to be routing whatever player you choose through a receiver with HDMI 1.2 revision. There are many, many reports about the BH200's known incompatibilities with HDMI 1.2 equipment...basically, you should expect many video/audio dropouts. In your situation, the BD-UP5000 is a no-brainer...unless you value region-free playback more than fluid audio/video.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the issues with the BH200's HDMI strictly limited to connecting through a receiver, or does it also effect a direct connection to the tv?

Also, how is the sd-dvd playback between the two? The Samsung has the REON chip so i would assume it would be great, but how about the LG?

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
LG's QDEO is close in quality to REON (varying people prefer one over the other, though REON normally gets the nod here and I think the "preference" might be more of a justification of one model over another in a lot of cases). I think I read somewhere about direct connections to displays with older HDMI revisions also exhibiting the same dropouts but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your input. I decided to go with the LG, partly because of the region free capability (I import some films from time to time) and partly because I was getting a better price. Well long story short, the store I talked to told me they had one and would hold it. When I got there, the unit they had was a BH100, NOT a BH200! The kid I talked to was new and thought it was the 200 because it was tagged as such. He apologized and got his sup for me (good kid). They were very sorry for bringing me down and not having what I wanted so they offered me an deal on an open box Sammy 2550. $119 for what was a brand new player (customer returned it because it "slow"), remote and batteries had not even been opened and there was not a scratch on it! Needless to say I jumped on it. Thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure what they wanted for it, but the BH200 was clearance for $254, so it had to be less than that. It was at the big blue box in Mission Valley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts