AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My H/K and speakers handle these settings w/o clipping, but I'm curious as to which of the two equivalent volume settings is better:

First option:

main AVR volume: -5 dB

Trim levels for balancing:

front right: +3

front left: +3

center: 0

rear right: +3

rear left: +4

subwoofer: -5

Second option:

main AVR volume: -1 dB

Trim levels for balancing:

front right: -1

front left: -1

center: -4

rear right: -1

rear left: 0

subwoofer: -9

Comments are needed.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Neither.

You don't specify the product, but in most designs there would be no difference in the settings as the circuit is providing the same amount of gain in both scenarios.

Wait, I like the one with the -01dB master setting. It's got both a 0 and a 1 in it so it is digital ready:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm with Buzz on this one. It would be nice to know which H/K and which speakers. My H/K 510 and Wharfedale Emerald 97's do not give evidence of clipping or distortion at these settings either.

From the point of view of the receiver it should make no difference as the end result is 12 dB of top end in either case. In the matter of the subwoofer, you might experience a minor disproportional loss of effect in scenario 2. The receiver trim is relative to the external sub volume which is not under the same level of H/K control as are the other channels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using an H/K AVR2000 and JBL SCS178 speakers. Those settings are at reference levels (85 dB reference tones in Avia).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.