AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear so much about people using joysticks to fly the helis and jets in battlefield 2. Is it so difficult using the keyboard & mouse that a joystick really is needed?

What brand of joystick do you use and what makes it so special for this game?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Flying a Heli using a joystick has been an absolute exercise in frustration for me. I do much better with mouse/keyboard with the settings turned down way low. All I was doing with my joystick was over-compensating all the time.....

You can tell when a helo pilot is using a stick however, they're the guys who can turn on a dime or come to an immediate hover...this joystick might not be the best for flying helos because this stick has alot of play in it, and the helos only require a soft touch, or else you send them spinning to their doom :D

I bought a refurbished Logitech 3DPro off Overstock......it makes flying the jets (once you get the hang of it, and learn to use the throttle wisely) much easier. I was practicing on Kubra Dam, learning how not to crash into mountains and such :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
yea I picked up the MS Sidewinder..it's decent, pretty tight and responsive. You don't need to go very extravagant on a flight stick for this game.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Since I"m building my HTPC I'll be going wireless...everything pretty much. I think I'm going to get the Logitech Wireless Flight stick and a wireless gamepad for other games.

·
Registered
385 Posts
funny, i was thinking that it might be easier to fly helos with the keyboard b/c you don't have to worry about configuration issues with the joystick. I have a very hard time hovering (without movement whatsoever) and can't use the hat stick on my joystick. Nevertheless, it has to be 10x more fun using a joystick than using the keyboard to fly. I'm using, and would recommend, the Saitek EVO joystick. I think I paid about $35.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Yeah I can't perfectly hover, but its not easy to do with a stick either, in fact the stick makes it too easy to overcompensate, I found myself wildly careening because as soon as I thought I had corrected my roll or pitch, it would keep going, so I'd counter the movement with the stick, and so on and so on.

The key is to drop the sensitivity settings for the helo controls (mouse/keyboard) to almost zero, then slowly work your way up the sensitifity settings. Right now, I have it set very low. This means the twitchy attack choppers are easier to control (or rather, CORRECT if they get OUT of control byhitting a tree with the tail rotor or something), and the helo transports, well they are clunky to begin with so they just take a little extra mouse movement to get where they need to go.

I dunno, it works for me....the stick was worth it for any occasion where I might stumble upon a jet...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCnewbie
Since I"m building my HTPC I'll be going wireless...everything pretty much. I think I'm going to get the Logitech Wireless Flight stick and a wireless gamepad for other games.
Depending on your number of peripherals, you might be setting yourself up for some frustration (from interference issues if nothing else). You might consider a USB hub at your couch. Worked well for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last night I bought a Saitek Cyborg EVO. I read on a sharkyextreme.com forum how people were frustrated with the Logitech joysticks, and there was a lot of enthusiasm about the Saitek.

I'm happy with the purchase, the joystick is quite a pleasure to use. It has twist action for rotating the heli, and it has a thrust lever too.

I tried single player on the heli/jet map and slowly got better at the whole flying thing. I still need considerable work, especially with keeping the chopper level. I also need to master shooting the missiles when flying the jets. All in all I like this joystick and would recommend it to anyone thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I heard about a program (from another forum) that allows you to use the hat stick on the saitek evo while flying the helo or plane (I assume proggie will work with other joysticks too). Program can be found here . The script can be found in the Autohotkey forums if you search for 'battlefield.' Within the script, I changed the mouselook key to {ctrl up} so that Battlefield thinks you have mouselook on all the time. Then its just a matter of flipping the hat stick around to where you want to see. I don't think the script is perfect yet, b/c the mouselook is not as smoothe as a real mouselook. Either it needs some more tweaking or I need to adjust the sensitivity.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I also use the Saitek Cyborg EVO. Using a joystick just feels more natural, and I've been using one since DC was released.

Keep practicing Head, you'll get there! :)

-JR

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
I got one of the Logitech ones cheap, but found I'm no better flying with it than with mouse. In fact, maybe worse. :eek:

One assumption I made was that 'copters auto level. My hope was if I tilted the 'copter and let go of the stick, it would level out an hover. BOY was I wrong. :eek:

My advice to people thinking of getting a joystick to fly in BF2... it's not arcade flying. It can be touchy and difficult to control. Be prepared to practice a lot, and PLEASE do your practicing off-line. ;)

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Flying a Helo is basically like running around on foot, jump key gives you throttle/collective, mouse handes pitch and roll, yaw is your strafe keys. The key is just dialing in the sensitivity right.

I also agree that not having the helos return to center with the stick is FRUSTRATINGLY ODD. I mean, a Jet I can understand, its always going to be pulled nose-down, so you're usually applying some pull on the stick to maintain your lift and attitude.

But the Helo, when you return the stick to center it doesn't level up, so you spend your time over-compensating with the stick...too far one way, too far the other way....back and forth with the stick. Or so it appears to happen with me.....maybe my sensitivity isn't dialed in right, but for now I'll stick with the mouse/keyboard.

Tho admittedly I haven't touched BF2 outside of a few late night weekend games lately, I'm too enthralled with the new projector and workingmy way through GT4.... :p

I am a game slut :(

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
HR, not to get off topic but you have an H-31 correct?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Head, you would have gone nuts if you'd played the Desert Combat mod for BF42. Helo's in that mod were, in my opinion, fantastic to fly. Incredibly sensitive and always moving. The helo mechanics in Vietnam and BF2 to me seem to be much more basic, or perhaps toned down is a better way to describe them.

-JR

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I played Desert Combat for awhile, but not with a joystick (didn't have one).....so flying planes was out. I dont remember seeing any Helicopters in the version I played. I didn't play it much, single player only type stuff......it was fun but I didn't get into it and so didn't spend alot of time with it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Depending on your number of peripherals, you might be setting yourself up for some frustration (from interference issues if nothing else). You might consider a USB hub at your couch. Worked well for me.
Yeah, I’ve thought about this but I think I’ll be OK….famous last words (maybe)…LOL

I have my wireless router, 2.4Ghz Logitech Freedom Wireless flight stick, but the wireless mouse, keyboard, and soon MCE remote all use IR or RF so I hope I’ll be OK.

Quote:
I use the logitech freedom 2.4 cordless. Works great in planes and helos. for me anyway
Yeah, me too…so far I’m having a great time while I’m still a newb with helo’s I’m slowly getting better at it. As a fighter pilot I'm becomming more top gun and less Iron Eagle...lol, while I still love mountains every now and then.

Quote:
One assumption I made was that 'copters auto level. My hope was if I tilted the 'copter and let go of the stick, it would level out an hover. BOY was I wrong.
LOL

Quote:
My advice to people thinking of getting a joystick to fly in BF2... it's not arcade flying. It can be touchy and difficult to control. Be prepared to practice a lot, and PLEASE do your practicing off-line.
This is true, don’t expect to fly like in a arcade…it’s really more like a flight sim so practice…practice…practice.

Quote:
so you spend your time over-compensating with the stick
Also…so true, but I never tweaked my settings so I hope to fix this issue. Also, the up and coming patch will change (or tweak for better game play) some of the flight controls.

This game is so much fun...battle on the ground, drive a tank/boat/apc, or fly in a jet...so many ways to have fun!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I purchased the logitech "extreme 3d pro" (what an over the top name) and its great. I do fly much better with it. Having an analog throttle is HUGE as far as a good hover goes. Also when grabbing a joystick for battlefield make sure it has both stick tilt AND twist. For the helos you need both. Some cheeper sticks don't have the twist which is rudder steer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Also when grabbing a joystick for battlefield make sure it has both stick tilt AND twist.
I agree 100%...this is a must have for the helo, and even with the jet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.