AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done the research and found the JVC's to be great projectors with some of the deepest blacks around. Now that I ahve settled on a JVc, which one do I buy??

I am looking at three different modesl:

JVC DLA-RS40U- 50,000:1 CR; 1300 ANSI L; $4,500

JVC DLA-RS50U- 70,000:1 CR; 1300 ANSI L; $8,000

JVC DLA-RS60U- 100,000:1 CR; 1300 ANSI L; $12,000

These three seem relatively similiar with a different in contrast ratio. There is a huge price difference between the three as you can see.

My theater room is without windows and has black acoustic shields with dark brown walls. I can make it almost completely dark in there.

I do not want to sell myself short here but having a hard time seeing a reason to buy the two pricier models when the RS40U looks so similiar? Am I missing something?

I can afford to get the RS60U, but i could take the money difference and buy another nice AMP to biamp my fronts and center B&W speakers. I just cannot see that i will miss out to much with the RS40U over the RS60U?

Am I thinking through this right? Is there another projector comparable to this that I should be thinking about? My biggest issue in the past with projectors has been the way they handle blacks. JVC seems to excel in this is why I chose them.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!!!

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes /forum/post/20762554

I have done the research and found the JVC's to be great projectors with some of the deepest blacks around. Now that I ahve settled on a JVc, which one do I buy??

These three seem relatively similiar with a different in contrast ratio. There is a huge price difference between the three as you can see.

My theater room is without windows and has black acoustic shields with dark brown walls. I can make it almost completely dark in there.

I do not want to sell myself short here but having a hard time seeing a reason to buy the two pricier models when the RS40U looks so similiar? Am I missing something?

I can afford to get the RS60U, but i could take the money difference and buy another nice AMP to biamp my fronts and center B&W speakers. I just cannot see that i will miss out to much with the RS40U over the RS60U?

Am I thinking through this right? Is there another projector comparable to this that I should be thinking about? My biggest issue in the past with projectors has been the way they handle blacks. JVC seems to excel in this is why I chose them.

Go with the RS40 and buy a Lumagen. You would end up with a great system.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes /forum/post/20762587

Showing my ignorance here? What is a Lumagen or DVDO duo?? Oh yeah, the RS50 and RS60 has CMS? Not sure what that is? Isit important? What does it do?

They are video processors. The Lamagen is a better processor than what comes in the RS50 or RS60 in my opinion. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=37

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Still trying to figure this out. Would this be my amp/preamp or would I still need to look at using my Onkyo PA-MC5500? Would you fgo with the Lumagen Radiance XE-3D/XE-3D+? Does the Lumagen work with the Onkyo or in place of is I guess what I am asking? Does my Onkyo not do video processing? thanks for the patience with a newbie!!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes

You may want to read Cine4homes X3/X7/X9 comparison review . I posted some graphs of Cine4Homes CR and Lumen data on pg 115 of the RS50 Owners thread which may prove useful to you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
You may want to read Cine4homes X3/X7/X9 comparison review . I posted some graphs of Cine4Homes CR and Lumen data on pg 115 of the RS50 Owners thread which may prove useful to you.

Geof thanks for the article!!

I am looking at the DUo for vidoe processor as it is significanlty more cheaper but seems to do a great job? Are these hard to hook up and run. For example, is the CMS real technical or does it guide you through it??

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
There is much written on all this. The Lumagen Mini 3D which is sold on the AV Science Store for $1595 and can be had cheaper if you call a AV Science sales person is the way to go.

On off contrast ratio improvements are by no means linear to the eye and those big numbers are only meaningful if you set the projectors up at longest throw and close down the iris to make the machine way too dim for most with normal size screens and gain.

You need to discus with someone who is knowledgeable. Buying a projector based on printed specifications, especial on off contrast specs alone is almost always totally specious.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes
Geof thanks for the article!!

I am looking at the DUo for vidoe processor as it is significanlty more cheaper but seems to do a great job? Are these hard to hook up and run. For example, is the CMS real technical or does it guide you through it??
A CMS is not simple and there is a moderate learning curve to understand how to properly set it . Setting it requires additional expenses for software and hardware. A lot of folks don't have one and would never care to have one. Basically a CMS ONLY gets the colors correct. Grayscale and gamma settings do not require a CMS. The bottom line is if you want exact colors it'll cost more but if you can live with the color errors then you don't need one. You can get a DUO or Radiance Mini3D anytime if you chose a projector that does not have a CMS. Understand tho, that the Radiance Mini 3D (and DUO) are much more than just a CMS. Either of these processors can be used with Chromapure (or Calman) software along with a Colorimeter to auto calibrate the setup.

BTW, the Radiance Mini3D is 1.4 compliant so you may want to factor that in if you buy a CMS-less 3D projector.

EDIT: I agree with Mark.....give him a call, he'll help you out.

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,939 Posts
If you wait until the new models come out, the wait might be long. If you are willing to wait until December or January, I say wait. If not get a RS40. Some will want theirs soon and not wait 6 weeks to hear about a new JVC model, then 3-4 months for then to come out

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Just thought I'd add that you can always add the video processor later on; and no, it doesn't replace the AVR.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are video processors incredibly difficult to use for someone who is new to the home theater world? I hate to buy something and not be able to use it. Are the video processors, like Lumagen mini 3D fairly user friendly?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
A video processor is like a spice rack. Many spices, some you will use on a regular basis, some you may never use. A processor is certainly not that much different than the various user controls in a projector. Some processors do things much better than the usually cheaper processing functions built into a projector. As many will tell you, the way to go with this years JVCs is a RS40 and a Lumagen. Add a copy of chromapure with the auto calibrate and the new Xrite probe, and for less than dealer cost on a RS60 your home. I tried calling you back last night but got your work answering machine. Please give me a shout in the morning.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/0

A video processor is like a spice rack. Many spices, some you will use on a regular basis, some you may never use. A processor is certainly not that much different than the various user controls in a projector. Some processors do things much better than the usually cheaper processing functions built into a projector. As many will tell you, the way to go with this years JVCs is a RS40 and a Lumagen. Add a copy of chromapure with the auto calibrate and the new Xrite probe, and for less than dealer cost on a RS60 your home. I tried calling you back last night but got your work answering machine. Please give me a shout in the morning.

Hi Mark,

If I get the Lumagen, with the chromapure with the auto calibrate, and Xrite probe to add to the RS40, will the 2D out duel the RS50 or RS25?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/0

the only thing the RS50 could do better would be contrast

I'm really thinking about keeping my RS40. But I will wait to see what happens at Cedia.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.