AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many posts on various keyboards that will work with the 5040, including the WebPal from softwareandstuff, WebTV from TekGems, the DISH NETWORK7200-SONY, and others.

Are they all equal? Does one support more functions then the others?

Thanks,

new :confused: ReplayTV owner

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have the web TV keyboard, the only complant is I have to hit a modifier key and a number to use the function keys. You can do quite a bit by using the functions keys. I mostly only use the keyboard to rename manual recordings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FarmBubba, what model keyboard?

I did a search on ebay for "replay*tv keyboard" in title and descriptions, and based on the photos with the various products, it seems that there are at least four readily available and distinct WebTV/WebPal keyboards.

Before I invest (all of $15 or less! ;) ) in a keyboard, I would like to know I am getting the right one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got the keyboard from Tekgems. It's a Phillips SWK-8630 and kicks butt. Can't beat it for around $15. It works great and makes use of the functions keys. The only drawback is that you need to slow your typing down just a a tad. This, however, is probably going to be a drawback for any keyboard just due to the nature of how they work.

Get the keyboard from Tekgems. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I bought a factory reconditioned SWK-8640 wireless keyboard for WebTV

in a Yahoo auction for $12. It works great on my ReplayTV unit! Makes

typing in searches MUCH easier. Same thing for renaming shows. If

you are tired of using that "virtual keyboard" on screen (or want to

use characters that aren't in it's set) get one for yourself.

The function keys are mapped to function buttons on the remote without any shifting. You can even use it to switch your TV power and control the volume.

Just go to your favorite online auction website and search for "SWK-

8640" or "WebTV keyboard" and you are likely to find one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.