AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting some type of protection for my Sony HW30 projector, but don't know which type is better. Projector states 300W max power consumption.

Power conditioner and battery backup such as:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-J10BLK-The.../dp/B000G5WPU2

OR straight UPS like:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-...3947705&sr=1-1

I'm confused as to what the major difference is between the two different lines of products.

Also, would you recommend UPS for the other components? I was thinking of just doing some type of surge protection... suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You know - I have the same exact question. Not sure if I should go with Furman vs. Panamax. Seems like the only component requiring power back up is the projector and perhaps home automation components.

Also, any ideas about "Blue Bolts" and internet control?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition to my above question, any recommendations on a surge protector for the rest of my stuff? And should I have a surge protector for my subwoofer at the front of the room?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I am no expert but it kind of depends on where you live (how stable the grid power is and how clean) I have no power problem where i live and use a 600W APC smart UPS. It will adjust the voltage if it drops low or goes to high (but never does) it uses a modified sine wave, was $130 and I only use it for the projector. If you have power problems, and you have lived in the same spot for more than a year or so, you already know you have problems.. so a more expensive piece of equipment is probably warranted.

For surge I just bought a nice strip at the local computer store.

If you have the cash,you can have your breakers for the HT replaced with the type that contain a surge protector for simplicity.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20849683

...would you recommend UPS for the other components?

The purpose of a UPS is to keep mission critical components up and running during a power failure. You decide. The one you linked to is line-interactive, which means it will also adjust the AC voltage up or down if it is outside the preset range in addition to handling total failures. This feature is pretty worthless for consumer gear because it is designed to operated properly within a wide voltage range. It also produces a sine wave output. This is the best waveform. The cheapest UPSs produce square waves and should be avoided for many uses. In between there are those that produce modified sine wave (stepped square waves) which are adequate for most uses. FWIW you don't need a UPS to protect your projector.

The difference between the two types of products is one is just a UPS, while the other incorporates additional features, like filtering, power sequencing, heavy duty surge protection, form factor similar to the rest of your equipment, etc. The filtering is unnecessary because the engineers who designed the power supplies of your gear already took into consideration power quality issues.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/20851470

breakers...that contain a surge protector...

Haven't seen breakers that contain a surge protector, but I have seen surge protective devices that plug into a panel in place of breakers...

If you own your own house, the best approach to surge protection is start with a whole-house system. It has been discussed in detail in these forums in the past, so I won't go into detail. You can find it easily enough by doing a search.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHTowner /forum/post/20849775

Seems like the only component requiring power back up is the projector and perhaps home automation components.

Projector, no. I know, goes against conventional wisdom. You can find the reasoning in another of my posts if you do a search. Home automation, maybe. DVR maybe. Everything, only if you want to be able to watch something when the power is off.

·
Registered
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20851589

Projector, no. I know, goes against conventional wisdom. You can find the reasoning in another of my posts if you do a search. Home automation, maybe. DVR maybe. Everything, only if you want to be able to watch something when the power is off.

I thought the reason to put your projector on backup was so the fan could continue to run for cool down in case of a power failure..

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK /forum/post/20852155

I thought the reason to put your projector on backup was so the fan could continue to run for cool down in case of a power failure..

That is the logical reason but some feel that since fan cool down has gotten less and less over the years it is because the fast cool down is worse for the lamp than a natural cool down so why bother..

Speaking from a Data Center point of view, the UPS is there to keep your equipment up during short blips in power, smooth out and clean grid power and allow you to shut down cleanly during a total failure. If you want to keep watching your movie when the power is out, you need a generator along with your UPS.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Keeping the fan running is not just for the bulb life but for all the other internals in the projector. If you have an 800 dollar projector perhaps a 200 dollar UPS in an area that has stable power is a bad investment. As power quality goes down and projector bulb and or projector cost go up it becomes a wise investment.

I have never seen anything to indicated that leaving a bulb to bake on shutdown is better for it than cooling it off with the fan.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_bit_bucket /forum/post/20852224

Keeping the fan running is not just for the bulb life but for all the other internals in the projector.

There are many reasons for running the fan after the bulb is turned off. Bulb life is not one of them, at least if you are not going to move the projector immediately. And if you are not having frequent power failures, it won't make a significant difference to the life of the other components, either. I have used projectors in many venues for many years, and had the power grid fail, and had the projector unplugged while in use, many times, and never had a failure, bulb or otherwise, or significant reduction in service life.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So back to the main question. Any Projector UPS recommendations or surge protector for the rest of the components? Is a surge protector on the sub a good idea.

I live in tulsa, and when someone farts the power goes out...

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20852741

So back to the main question. Any Projector UPS recommendations or surge protector for the rest of the components? Is a surge protector on the sub a good idea.

I live in tulsa, and when someone farts the power goes out...

been using this for a year and like it very much..
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...basket=3944,3c

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20852741

Is a surge protector on the sub a good idea.

If you use surge protective devices on anything else connected to it, directly or through another component, it needs to be protected or else a surge that affects it can affect everything else that is connected. Note that if you use separate MOV based devices, it needs to protect the low level input as well as the AC.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
@Colm, ...... +1 +1 +1 +1 ....

All solid contributions

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.